Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hallway traffic jam 10 dwarfs dead (flying stones)  (Read 532 times)

Urist McEyeGouger

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Hallway traffic jam 10 dwarfs dead (flying stones)
« on: September 01, 2013, 09:41:35 pm »

I designated a large number of stones to be dumped which resulted in 80+ dwarfs pushing their way through a 1 tile wide hallway.  Soon after I notice a lot of clothing on the ground and a line of 10 dead dwarfs.

The battle reports say dwarfs were being hit by flying hematite.

Could this be a result of narrow hallway traffic jam? I'll need to make wider hallways in the next fort.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hallway traffic jam 10 dwarfs dead (flying stones)
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 11:23:15 pm »

My guess is your dump zone is right on the edge of a drop, yes? When dwarves are told to dump items and the dump zone is on the edge of a drop, they'll throw the items off. Anyone unlucky enough to be in the path of the falling stone will likely be struck.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Urist McEyeGouger

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 12:48:23 am »

Yes that is right, I was channelling out large sections and the dump was on the edge.  Thanks.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 04:07:17 pm »

At least they died good Dwarven deaths. Their epitaphs: "Lived by the rock, died by the rock."
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 06:02:37 pm »

Hehe there are a few "features" that you need to be careful with. Deconstructing stuff can cause similar deaths.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.