Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Problem with the smithies  (Read 921 times)

Ernomouse

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Problem with the smithies
« on: April 28, 2007, 03:17:00 am »

My metaldwarves refuse to work. I have the ore, I have a free workshop and furnages, my stockpiles are swarmed with fuel and ready bars (though lately they've refused to make fuel and metal bars too) and all they do is carry around stones or spend time idling. I've set the working order from manager screen about like this:

Make coal bars (12/20)
Make bronze bars (5/5)
Forge bronze gage (3/3)

All that happened during a year was that they  they made the bronze bars, which are now waiting in my stockpiles. Same applies with other metals, such as iron lately. It won't help assigning the jobs from the metalworkshop; No-one gives adamn about the tasks. I haven't assigned the workshop to anyone, there are no dwarves in strange moods claiming it, I've got plenty of food and drinks to go around with... What's wrong?

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
Re: Problem with the smithies
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 07:06:00 am »

Aren't manager jobs uncancelable? I'd suggest you set it manualy in the workshop and await cancellation spam (so you'll see why it was cancelled)
EDIT: also make sure there are no locked doors or anything preveting access to any vital buildings.

[ April 28, 2007: Message edited by: Slartibartfast ]

But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

Jerkwhistle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 11:20:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Ernomouse:
<STRONG>all they do is carry around stones or spend time idling.</STRONG>

This sounds like at least half of your problem. Make sure to turn off all hauling, cleaning and health care job duties for at least one of your smiths and see if that helps. If not, consider your fortress layout. Are your ore/bar stocks far from the smelters and forges? Are your forges far from food and booze stocks? If your smiths don't have any reason to wander far from the worksite, the jobs will get done much faster.

quote:
Originally posted by Slartibartfast:
<STRONG>Aren't manager jobs uncancelable?</STRONG>

You can cancel any manager's production orders you've previously requested with "(r)emove job" on the manager's order queue screen. You can only cancel them there though. If you try to cancel them at the workshops themselves, or if they're cancelled due to a pathing/item misplaced error the manager will ignore you and simply requeue them.

[ April 29, 2007: Message edited by: Jerkwhistle ]

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 01:22:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Jerkwhistle:
<STRONG>

You can cancel any manager's production orders you've previously requested with "(r)emove job" on the manager's order queue screen. You can only cancel them there though. If you try to cancel them at the workshops themselves, or if they're cancelled due to a pathing/item misplaced error the manager will ignore you and simply requeue them.

[ April 29, 2007: Message edited by: Jerkwhistle ]</STRONG>

Uncancaellable as in "can't be cancelled automatically by dwarves, for example due to pathing problems" not as in "impossible to cancel any which way"
But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

Ernomouse

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 01:40:00 am »

Hauling tasks have been removed from the smithies- I know that much. So have all other unecessary tasks. I cancelled all the manager jobs including metals and tried to assign a "make copper cage" -task from the workshop itself. It just vanished from the queue by it self, without a message or anything. Doors can't be the reason, there are none locked at this point. Food/drink should be near enough (one screen away or so), though maybe not optimal. I don't get it. If one of you want's to check the savefiles, they can be found here. http://www.mediafire.com/?fzwwnzjgnzn

[ April 29, 2007: Message edited by: Ernomouse ]

Narushima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 07:48:00 pm »

Have you got the "announce job cancels" (or something like that) option turned on. Can be set in the (O)ptions menu, si je ne m'abuse.

Marsume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2007, 02:53:00 pm »

French people have sex with cheese.

Ernomouse

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2007, 09:04:00 am »

Narushima: Which is the effect of that: The dwarves spam me if it is enabled, or the dwarves don't cancel jobs. Anyway, I grew tired to the fortress in question it, collapsed it and left the site to start a better one. No-one attacked me during the three or four years, I was expecting my game to end there... Just a few thieves.

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2007, 09:07:00 am »

The point was getting spammed with job cancellations so you know the reason they are canceling their jobs and thus be able to take care of it.
But what do I know?

Narushima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2007, 01:47:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Marsume:
<STRONG>French people have sex with cheese.</STRONG>

Yeah. And we eat frogs. And horses. And snails.
Barbarians, I tell you. Heathens !

Anyway, thanks Slartibartfast, I should have been more precise.