Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: goblin seiges stop coming, and dead liasons.  (Read 1426 times)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
goblin seiges stop coming, and dead liasons.
« on: April 26, 2007, 12:17:00 pm »

i have not had a goblin seige in at least three years.  

I trapped most of the previous seige (40 gobs or so) in cages to use against the demons, but i was hoping to get another batch from the next seige.

but since the seiges stopped, i cant get any more gobs!  i have never seen seiges just STOP before.  I have killed enemy leaders before, and seiges still keep coming.  in this case, the goblin leader is a master thief whom has not yet shown up.

has anyone else seen this behavior?

also, the dwarven city liason accidentially died somehow.  im not sure how, but he has a sarcophogus in my tomb section.  and now i dont get any more liasons to offer seeds or anvils to my fort.  will they eventually start coming again, or am i on my own?

maybe if i sell his sarcophogus to the dwarven caravan, it will count as him returning home, and then i will get a new one next year?  or will they just bring the same dead guy back?

JPolito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://jpolito.zlique.org/
Re: goblin seiges stop coming, and dead liasons.
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 08:48:00 pm »

The goblin siege that recently attacked, which is number six, came without any powerful goblins at all. Do they just slowly die out in power and stop showing up?

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 11:49:00 pm »

generally not.  my last large fort was in its 11th year when it ended.  the first goblin seige came in year 2.  the goblin leader came in year 5 with the third siege.  

he died then, but goblins kept coming in larger and larger waves until i couldnt even clean up the mess from their dead bodies and dropped items anymore, and i just gave up.  should have used lava, i guess.

anyway, this fort im on now is in year 13 or so.  i probably had 5 or 6 goblin seiges in that time, the first one probalby came on about year 4, and im up to four years without a seige now.  i have not yet seen a single seige with the strength that was hitting my last fort

hactar1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 09:11:00 am »

I've read that the goblins only send their leader if you are "very successful" in defeating their previous sieges.  Perhaps the fact that most of the goblins from the previous sieges were captured, not killed, is causing the game to not register that you won so soundly?

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2007, 11:01:00 am »

perhaps.  i'll tap into the demons with these 40, and see what happens in the next two years.

if the fortress survives, that is.

Jerkwhistle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007, 05:02:00 pm »

I've experienced the same thing with my current fortress. In the first five years, it saw roughly two sieges per year of two goblin squads, then in the next five years an occasional siege with four squads, and somewhere around year 13 they stopped altogether. Now on year 18, and have only the occasional goblin thief to prove they even still exist.

I should point out that I've captured no combatants but the thieves. All of the goblin warriors fell to weapon traps or champion squads.

[ April 27, 2007: Message edited by: Jerkwhistle ]

Narushima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 07:31:00 pm »

I had my very first siege earlier this week. That was frightening, but when I send in my legendary, mighty, unbelievably agile and stuff miner, it turned just great. He cut them all in pieces, being fired at and all. He didn't took even a slight scratch ! The last goblins ran away !  :D
http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/1121/dwarfort200704221712341gs4.jpg

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2007, 05:14:00 am »

well good lord, at least theyre RESPONSIBLE devils.

Jerkwhistle, by any chance is the leader of your goblin faction a Master Thief?

Jerkwhistle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2007, 09:58:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by puke:
<STRONG>well good lord, at least theyre RESPONSIBLE devils.

Jerkwhistle, by any chance is the leader of your goblin faction a Master Thief?</STRONG>

No, the original leader was a macelord. He was killed in the second or third siege. Had about a half-dozen sieges thereafter and I didn't see a leader among them, or check the civilization screen to see who it was, but I now see he's been replaced by another macelord.

Narushima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2007, 06:43:00 pm »

Well, maybe the struggle to designate a new leader has weakened them.

Jerkwhistle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2007, 09:29:00 pm »

Update: They're back! After an eight year absence, they decided to raid the incoming human traders, and with about five squads, too.

Unfortunately, I don't know to what I can attribute this. I changed nothing on my end, and it was just business as usual until they blitzed in and swarmed the lagging wagons.

Perhaps I had done too well at killing them off and they needed a decade-long break to shore up their numbers again. Perhaps there really was a leadership struggle. Or maybe they needed time to replace the hundreds and hundreds of pieces of iron armor they "donated" to my fortress forges over the years. Anyway, I've decided that whatever might have caused their absence, it probably wasn't a code error.

Narushima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2007, 02:54:00 pm »

They might be gobs, but they're not millions. I think they need time to re-populate, and re-equipate (sorry if that doesn't mean anything^^).

Chthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2007, 08:33:00 pm »

You kidding, have you ever seen how fast goblins reproduce?  If not you should go see some M:TG decks  :)
''d be perfect if I weren''t so arrogant.

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2007, 08:42:00 pm »

Goblin sex must be awful. For as much reproducing as they do, they sure are pissed off and attack everyone, don't they? So who the hell would contribute to a 'half-orc'? Or that probably wouldn't be a willing partnership...

Not to mention they must be tired. Or do gobbos just have huge litters?

EDIT: Ok I understand the 'Half-Orc'. A friend of mine just reminded me (he's such an ass) of something I almost picked up at the bar one night, yes I was really really drunk...

[ April 30, 2007: Message edited by: herrbdog ]

Baro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2007, 11:19:00 pm »

I've played for maybe 5 years tops but never EVER saw a siege.
Pages: [1] 2