Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Couple questions  (Read 536 times)

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
Couple questions
« on: April 23, 2007, 01:48:00 am »

Awesome game youve got going here  :D ill write up some suggestions like i usually do in awile.

In the wiki it describes the animal dissection skill as extracting bone fat and stuff from corpses.

But when my butcher cuts up kills my hunters bring in, and slaughters herd animals all he ever gets is butchery skill.

So what is animal dissection for?

How do i see what is inside bins? None of the menus or view modes works.

Lastly, how does the catapult work? When the stone is fired does it have to land directly ON the target in order to inflict damage? Unlike balistas which kill everything in a straight line.

thanks in advance

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Core Xii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Couple questions
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 01:51:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Tamren:
How do i see what is inside bins? None of the menus or view modes works.

Use [K] to look around, hit Enter on top of a bin to see its contents.

Reality is for people who lack imagination

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 02:09:00 am »

ah thanks, didnt think to use enter, i dont use the examine mode much.

One thing i forgot to ask, how do i export a complete picture of the entire fortress?

If i hit export local BMP, it only gives me a titanic bitmap of the entire wilderness outside of the fortress and about 10-12 tiles worth of rock from the mountaim.

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 02:11:00 am »

- Dissection and extraction is currently useless outside of trade, so you dont need to worry about them.

- Catapult rocks do kill things they land on, but they also apparently roll in their direction of movement after they do hit (and act like a ballista arrow, killing everything in it's path)
The only real reason you want to use a catapult is to conserve metal and wood resources (as the catapult can only fire the incredably abundant grey stones)

- When using 'k' to look at things, make sure the bin is highlighted first though, otherwise you'll probably be looking at the description of the floor.

[- If you haven't crossed the river, you wont get to see anything beyond it (since your fort doesn't go that far) unless of course you've passed the river /chasm /magma... Then the game cutting the export image short would be a bug.]

[ April 23, 2007: Message edited by: Mechanoid ]

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 09:20:00 am »

cool thanks,

I have passed the river in a way, my miner has been across to knock out some limestone but ill try again once i bridge the chasm

Ancient Whale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 10:53:00 am »

Regarding the catapult, the stone bounces rather than rolls. I have experienced a few goblin sieges where I had two legendary siege operators(and one accomplished) firing two catapults continuously at a mass of goblins(for some reason they never tried to enter except when I tried to lure them in), so I got a pretty good chance to study the mechanics behind the catapult. If you watch the stone travel you will see when it touches the ground. The stone slows considerably and leaves a patch of mud behind. The stone then bounces two or three more times before stopping and becoming a >. Studying the damage inflicted upon the monsters in the stone's path suggests that the projectile travels in a genuine arc. Monsters situated on "ground zero"(the exact spot where the stone lands first) will sustain massive damage, almost certainly lethal. Even trolls will usually die outright and be propelled away, but I haven't hit anything sturdier than that. Subsequent landings will also deal great damage, although perhaps less than the first bounce. The stone is, however, far less lethal between landings, although still dangerous. Here the stone will usually only break limbs, sometimes crippling them and sometimes only just bruising its targets and may even bounce over the enemy altogether.

Another thing should be observed when using catapults is that the operator adjusts the siege engine's range to hit the nearest hostile creature(that is, not wilderness). However, the operator does not factor the firing arc of the engine. This means that the catapult shots may fall far short of a mass of goblins standing across the river right in front of your gates if there is another group of goblins standing by the cliffside at the upper edge of the map.