Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Questions Galore (Right topic this time!)  (Read 649 times)

Sharpscopes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Questions Galore (Right topic this time!)
« on: August 30, 2013, 11:11:34 pm »

Note: Says right forum this time cause i made the mistake of posting my FIRST POST in the wrong forum :/

Anyway: Obviously, Questions!

Funny figurine one of my people made:
"This is a well-crafted ashen figurine of Lord Racksearch,
The item is a well-designed image of Lord Racksearch the dwarf and toads in ash by Datan Thosbutlogem, Lord Racksearch is sorrounded by the toads.

Intresting right?

Questions:

Earlier one of my dwarves made a crown. I'd like "Lord Racksearch" to wear this crown. How do i go about commanding Lord Racksearch to put on the crown? Cause you cant be a king without your crown

How would one go about training a millitary? (Efficently)

What would be a good fort design? (Dont really care TBH just intrested to see if what im doing is "OK".. Btw my first belowground floor contains the farm workshop and stockpile while the 2nd floor contains my living space and my 3'rd floor contains Lord Racksearch's Throne and Bedroom. (And another stockpile) Floors below ATM are just giant mining operations

How does smelting stuff and smithing work? I know you use coal to smelt stuff but even if i have discovered lots and lots of random gems and whatnot i apparently dont seem to have the ore's required to smelt ANY Bar's for ANY Armor/Weaponry. Kinda annoying.

Also: Have a good day!

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
Re: Questions Galore (Right topic this time!)
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 11:54:32 pm »

Note: Says right forum this time cause i made the mistake of posting my FIRST POST in the wrong forum :/

Anyway: Obviously, Questions!

Funny figurine one of my people made:
"This is a well-crafted ashen figurine of Lord Racksearch,
The item is a well-designed image of Lord Racksearch the dwarf and toads in ash by Datan Thosbutlogem, Lord Racksearch is sorrounded by the toads.

Intresting right?
Only if Lord Racksearch hates toads.   Find out if the carver doesn't like him.   ;)

Earlier one of my dwarves made a crown. I'd like "Lord Racksearch" to wear this crown. How do i go about commanding Lord Racksearch to put on the crown? Cause you cant be a king without your crown
Make a one-man militia with the king.  Assign him his uniform directly via equip.  I forget if the king can be drafted though.  He usually doesn't last long in my forts...

Without broken techniques?  Create a bunch of 3 man units, and schedule them to have 2 training constantly.  They'll spar most of the time.

What would be a good fort design? (Dont really care TBH just intrested to see if what im doing is "OK".. Btw my first belowground floor contains the farm workshop and stockpile while the 2nd floor contains my living space and my 3'rd floor contains Lord Racksearch's Throne and Bedroom. (And another stockpile) Floors below ATM are just giant mining operations
One that keeps dwarves in, and enemies out.  From there it's convenience and efficiency.  What's a good fort is so subjective past point 1 that it's a really exhaustive question to try to answer.

How does smelting stuff and smithing work? I know you use coal to smelt stuff but even if i have discovered lots and lots of random gems and whatnot i apparently dont seem to have the ore's required to smelt ANY Bar's for ANY Armor/Weaponry. Kinda annoying.

Smelting works via heat, either magma or via coal/charcoal.  You need to find metal ores, however, to create bars with... or you melt down whatever gets dropped by the invaders/bought from the caravan.  You only NEED coal for steel from iron if you dig deep enough to get to magma.

Smithing needs bars, so until you get the one you won't be able to do the other.  Dig around for veins of metals.  If you're really new and/or just don't care, I recommend you use prospect all in DFHack and see what layers you may have metal veins on to make your life easier in locating them.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 11:55:37 pm »

If there is a way to do this, I haven't found it yet :P

You can set a schedule for them within the military menu. The default is for them to train in one large group at the same time, but it is more efficient to delete this order and create several smaller training orders. So for example, 3 orders of training requiring a minimum of 3 dwarves each instead of the default of one train order of all 10 dwarves. This way they will spar more often, which gives more exp than watching a demonstration, and cut down on time wasted watching a demonstration on a skill they don't need, such as a swordsman being taught how to use a mace.

I can't say too much about how well your design is without some pictures, but if you need some ideas you could poke around some succession games and take some ideas from them, there's usually many pictures. There isn't really a wrong way to make a fort. Though there are exceptions to this, such as leaving many open back doors and allowing liquids to leak in.

It's a bit of luck as to whether you have some ore on your map or not. Usually the embark screen will tell you whether there are ores or not in a region, as well as any clay and aquifers. Coal on the other hand is easy to come across, as wood can be burned into charcoal at a wood burners for a slow but infinite supply.

Worst case scenario you can melt down unneeded metal items and re-purpose them, purchase weaponry from caravans, or take weapons off of invaders. Though marksdwarves don't need metal, as crossbows and arrows can be made of wood and bone while still being incredibly deadly.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 12:09:52 am »

ok, smelting and smithing

If you have coal or lignite, you still need at least 1 piece of coke or charcoal to start the process unless you have a magma smelter. The job is 'make coke from lignite' or 'make coke from bitumous coal'. Basically, lignite and coal is too impure yet and needs some work.
If you don't have coal or lignite, one option is to go for magma, which doesn't need fuel (still needs some for steel making, different story), or get wood and make charcoal, which is done at a wood burner by someone with wood burning labor enabled, often confused with furnace operating.

To make metal bars, you need coke, so not lignite or coal, charcoal or a magma smelter. The jobs you are looking for are not named 'make metal bars x', but 'smelt (name of ore, like tetrahedrite)'
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Sharpscopes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 12:11:39 am »

Thanks for the help but another 2 questions:

Apparently a thief has stolen one of my items. Is it my dwarves or is there some sort of AI Thief roaming around i havent noticed?

Plus: How does one post a picture? I could post my fort on here :P

+
The thief stole these 2 items:
+Large Ruby+>>+! (Something like that?)
=Large clear tourmali

Yea.

Any idea?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 12:35:27 am »

There are animals that can steal random stuff and there are kobold thieves. They can be pretty easily deterred or otherwise detected via some animals chained at your entrance.

Sounds like a kobold thief as they'll go for the valuables while animals will just grab any random stuff lying around.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 07:19:53 am »

large gems also have the problem that they're often not automatically brought to a stockpile, so they may be resting at strange places, open to the thieves.

upload a picture on an upload site, usually they provide links for posting on forums there. I don't think you can upload directly to the forums
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Sharpscopes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 12:39:40 pm »

New Question:

My farmers labor's are set to do NOTHING but haul food and farm. Yet my farm's remain (mostly)

Un-planted. Help?

(Note: I am using potash)

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2013, 12:42:18 pm »

Dwarves can't wer crowns (they are just trade goods), but you can put the crown into his room by making a one-tile stockpile for it.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2013, 03:41:57 pm »

New Question:

My farmers labor's are set to do NOTHING but haul food and farm. Yet my farm's remain (mostly)

Un-planted. Help?

(Note: I am using potash)

one common problem is with the seed stockpile and frequent planting cancelations. Also, as long as there is enough food, no need to worry (yet)