Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Dorf Genealogy a.k.a. I have no life  (Read 15394 times)

Meansdarling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dorf Genealogy a.k.a. I have no life
« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2013, 12:42:56 am »

Want me to post that too? I have it on google drive.

It's really helped me keep track of what I want to do each game.

Serefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2013, 06:51:03 am »

Want me to post that too? I have it on google drive.
It's really helped me keep track of what I want to do each game.

Well I will be running this fort for a very long time, and it already has pretty much everything it needs. But if you want to post it I'll take a look at it anyways, always fun to see other people's strategy :D

And finally, my work is done! Behold the heritage of the settlement of Dakostthimshur here. It contains all of my current dwarves, and 620 unique dwarves in total. From this point onwards I'll continue adding migrants as they arrive, and deceased dwarves as they come along. I noticed the app has an option to add cause of death as well, it's too bad I can't do that for my already deceased, but I'll definitely add it to my future ones.

Now, I am off to build my minions some houses fit for their family! ;D

Meansdarling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 14, 2013, 02:08:17 am »

I can't seem to view that. Might be a problem with firefox though.

Here is the thing: https://docs.google.com/document/d/15ryarF_Vvw5oJjHqZRP7qIkUBtfe9PO5AtGqRcs65hY/edit?usp=sharing

Maybe it'd come in handy for newbies?

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 14, 2013, 09:08:40 am »

That thing is massive, nice work.

I'm pretty sure one of the geneology research threads has plenty of evidence to support dwarves only marrying within 10 years.  Some glitch with the founding 7 may make them exempt?

+1 for a way to auto-generate something like this from a DF export.

Serefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 14, 2013, 01:42:52 pm »

That thing is massive, nice work.

I'm pretty sure one of the geneology research threads has plenty of evidence to support dwarves only marrying within 10 years.  Some glitch with the founding 7 may make them exempt?

+1 for a way to auto-generate something like this from a DF export.

Not counting the 50-dwarf big sub-tree I forgot to add the moment I posted this. :P

I would really like to create a generator for this myself, but I have enough programming to do as it is. What I can provide however is the following info, which may be helpful to someone who wants to do this.

The application I'm using to create the family tree (MyHeritage) stores its database in a .uzed file. Information about the file type can be found here. It appears to make use of XML to store its contents.

So all that's left to do is create a little app that imports the info from DF, and exports it to a .uzed file. The actual image generation can then be handled by the MyHeritage application itself, which takes a load of the work off.

I may be able to find the time (and courage) to do it myself sometime in the future, but as it is I don't want to make any promises. :-\

Meansdarling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 15, 2013, 01:10:31 am »

It sure would be neat to automate it. Especially if it could keep the nicknames.

Sometimes the nicknames are all that keeps me interested in my dwarfs.

Morphyum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 15, 2013, 08:22:44 am »

Ok till now, i was a silent reader in this Forum, but this Thread has really inspired me. I REALLY wanna write a program now to read out legends and create a family Tree for the Dwarfs in there now. What do you guys say, is it worth the efford? Does something like that already exist?

Serefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 15, 2013, 06:18:14 pm »

Ok till now, i was a silent reader in this Forum, but this Thread has really inspired me. I REALLY wanna write a program now to read out legends and create a family Tree for the Dwarfs in there now. What do you guys say, is it worth the efford? Does something like that already exist?

Nope, as far as I can tell from the reactions in this thread, it doesn't exist yet. I am pretty sure if something like that would be made it would be hailed as a creation from Armok himself. I bet it'd fit in nicely as part of DFHack as well. As I said in my previous post, if you want to cut down on the tedious programming work, don't bother with coding the visual aspect yourself, just make a sort of conversion program and let the family tree application do the rest.

Morphyum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2013, 06:50:48 pm »

Ok i will really look into it, but before that i probably will have a talk to the guys from legendviewer, since they already present legend data. Maybe i can make an addition to their program or something. One way or another i will defiantly sit down and work on that, when i have time between my projects. Shouldnt be to much work to parse the legends to the other format.

EDIT: Oh btw. it would be nice if someone could upload a legend file somewhere since i'm not at home currently and cant creat one before work tommorow.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 06:53:28 pm by Morphyum »

Covenant Ringthane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 16, 2013, 01:23:06 am »

I, for one, eagerly await the prospect of the dwarven family tree program.

It shall be named (rather dubiously, in the style of dwarves) "The Distilled Histories of Dwarfiness: A Dwarfen Tree Conversion Program!" Well, you don't have to call it that, but I felt like contributing, seeing as I'm essentially a glorified lurker at this point.

As to uploading a legends file, I can't at the moment - hopefully someone else can.

Morphyum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 16, 2013, 05:37:54 am »

Ok had a look at the gedcom format, that all the Familytree programs use and at the xml of the legendsmode from DF. Guess i will be starting work on a converter this evenening or tommorow. Can't give ETA yet but will keep you guys updated ^^

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 16, 2013, 09:28:41 am »

This is going to be great.  I don't know much about developing DF tools yet but let me know if you run into any road blocks, Morphyum.  I had an idea for a different type of tool a while back but never really got started.

Morphyum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 16, 2013, 12:11:11 pm »

Ok today i managed to read out all dwarfs from a legends xml and connected them together to familys. So no visual output yet, except for some console text, but atleast one half done. Next step is using this data to create a gedcom file.

Morphyum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 17, 2013, 08:09:41 am »

Ok Update, i created a gedcon file, that can be read by programs like MyHeritage. All the Dwarfs show up in it, but no family connections are made yet.

made a development thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=132153.0
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 08:15:27 am by Morphyum »

Morphyum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 19, 2013, 11:48:17 am »

First beta version is released if someone wants to test ;-)

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=132153.0
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6