Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Alcohol.  (Read 3046 times)

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
Alcohol.
« on: August 30, 2013, 02:39:15 pm »

To start it up, I'd like to say that I'm brewing up some homemade Kahlua with a pot of Kona coffee, a 1.75 liter bottle of  Veil vodka, and some organic sugar. Might toss in a bit of cinnamon and nutmeg, too.

So, questions for discussion:
Favorite kinds of alcohol? Mixed drinks? Cocktails? Beers?
How buzzed do you like to get?
Experience with alcohol?
Etc, etc?

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
Re: Alcohol.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 03:16:20 pm »

I enjoy mostly beer and wine. If I drink to get drunk, which is rare, that'll be a bottle of wine. I don't drink liquor after a bad night in Brazil, certainly not except as a small glass with dessert or something.

At least, that's when I do drink. I'm currently on a dry campus, which means that there's no alcohol in the dorms, so all the frats rent flats off campus for their festivals of debauchery. I don't go to college parties, mainly because when I drink I want to talk and be goofy, not get blacked out and bang someone in a closet at 2 AM, and I don't like crowds or loud music. Also- and this is crucial- I'm a snob about my booze. If the wine cost less than twelve dollars a bottle, or the beer any lower in caliber than Stella Artois, I won't drink it.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 03:21:45 pm »

I like fruity girly drinks like hard lemonade, Smirnoff sour apple, Margarita's or fruit juices (orange, pineapple, cranberry, etc) with vodka, that or hard shots like vodka or yeager. I utterly hate beer, and wine isn't much better.

If you plan to drink a lot, start your night with a big glass of water and 2 ibuprofen, really helps keep the hangover at bay.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 03:24:39 pm »

Always been a cider fan myself. Though I am not adverse to the odd 'girly' cocktail, because they tend to actually taste decent, and I don't have any huge manly image to uphold.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 03:31:45 pm »

define unorganic sugar

i don't drink much, but port, rum, or vodka (when you've got things to collapse onto and no time to waste) are my poisons of choice. no carbonation in my booze unless it's champagne and even that in select amounts, fucks up my system that.

to be honest with you people i don't really consider things below 3% to be a properly alcoholic drink, the slavs play with that concept quite vigorously and it works for them so why can't i accept this one - and as such cocktails are straight out (why they make them ~2.6% as a baseline is beyond me)
never had kahlua or the like though, so can't say what i think of these.

If you plan to drink a lot, start your night with a big glass of water and 2 ibuprofen, really helps keep the hangover at bay.

wisdom of the falcon

concentrated lemon juice apparently helps too, but that's more vitamin c than anything

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 03:36:08 pm »

and as such cocktails are straight out (why they make them ~2.6% as a baseline is beyond me)
Wha.....? Mine are generally rather strong. Then again, my drinking of cocktails doesn't happen anywhere you'd exactly find lots of people drinking.
I genuinely haven't seen a drink weaker than 3%. Most ciders I drink are 5-75, and my homebrew stuff, which I have regrettably run out of for now, was ridiculously strong for a cider. Never measured it, because that would be effort. i just know it got me drunk quickly.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 03:38:48 pm »

and as such cocktails are straight out (why they make them ~2.6% as a baseline is beyond me)
Wha.....? Mine are generally rather strong. Then again, my drinking of cocktails doesn't happen anywhere you'd exactly find lots of people drinking.
I genuinely haven't seen a drink weaker than 3%. Most ciders I drink are 5-75, and my homebrew stuff, which I have regrettably run out of for now, was ridiculously strong for a cider. Never measured it, because that would be effort. i just know it got me drunk quickly.

as i wrote, it's straight up beyond me

last time i crossed the western border and happened to visit a gas station the same manufacturer has ~7% versions of the drink sold where i live, which is ridiculous, but i'm not going to say it's without reason before i bother looking into their reasons for this stuff

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 03:46:57 pm »

I mostly drink the cheaper market-grade stuff (beer and long drinks mostly) due to price, but on the more expensive department I like toffee/coffee liqueur with milk. Don't really like much of the stronger drinks, but I drink 'em occasionally. Both red and white wine are kinda meh to me and I absolutely despise champagne and sangria.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 03:47:03 pm »

i been drinking that Redds apple ale stuff and its really good, haven't tried the strawberry ale yet though.....

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 03:51:18 pm »

If anyone is curious to know, I now have a jug of excellent Kahlua, minus a glass for my drinking pleasure.

Number one favorite is beer. I'm actually an amateur beer judge. Next is cider, cheap wine, then champagne, then good wine, then girly drinks, then tequila, whiskey, rum, amaretto, crappy beer, all other liquors. I'm not really a liquor fan; I prefer a good buzz, not a drunk.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 03:53:32 pm »

Glass of vodka for my birthday, glass of champagne for New Year.

Other than that, I don't drink and generally can't stand alcohol's taste (and smell).
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 03:59:02 pm »

I don't drink often (maybe once every 3-4 months), but if I do, I tend to drink heavily. I prefer to drink things I haven't tried before, but failing that, I like rich, dark craft beers... things that taste like dark chocolate, peanut skins, and hops. Don't really care for wine, or liquor (unless it's mixed into something that's sweet and/or covers the taste well).

Reasons I drink heavily:
A) It makes food taste amazing.
B) Inebriation still has novelty for me, and I enjoy the experience.
C) Doing common tasks becomes a challenge, and I've always enjoyed added challenges.
D) As I work on overcoming my anxiety, depression, and self-doubt, it's nice to be reminded of what not having those issues is like. Helps me set a milestone.
E) I sleep well after drinking, and wake up feeling alert after 4-6 hours, unlike my usual 8+. It's a nice change.
F) It helps me find motivation, and reconnect with my inner life and interests. The mental block that makes it hard for me to start doing things like playing an instrument, learning to cook something new, researching something interesting, or even cleaning and organizing, seems to disappear. Discipline is not something I'd want to rely on booze for, but it does give me a noticeable boost in productivity. Even afterwards. EDIT: The positive motivation might just be a side-effect of being free of anxiety/worry for a while, and experiencing happiness uncolored by that.

That said, alcohol is not something I can afford. I'm also painfully aware of its negative effects on the body, and of my family history with addiction. Luckily, the next day after drinking, I often feel so nauseated and crappy that I'm happy to put off the stuff for many months, until the next time my friends want to drag me out to a bar or something.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 04:06:48 pm by Solifuge »

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2013, 04:15:31 pm »

amateur beer judge

So You Want To Be A Beer Judge? is a good starting point for this sort of thing.

A quick list of beers I am fond of and that I have had recently?

Blue Moon / Pale Moon / Honey Moon / Agave Nectar / Harvest Pumpkin / Mountain Abbey
Longboard / Fire Rock / Big Wave / Koko Brown / Wailua Wheat / Pipeline Porter
Fat Tire / 1554 / Somersault / Hoptober / Snow Day
Tecate
Pacifico
Shock Top
Pyramid Head Apricot Ale
Lost Coast Tangerine Wheat
Stella Artois
Newcastle Brown
Lambic beer (Lindemans, usually)
Hard ciders (Hornsbys, usually)
Lagunitas IPA / Little Sumpin' Sumpin' / Maximus / Censored / Imperial Stout / Sucks / Brown Shugga
Hyve Honey Ale
Black Butte Porter / Obsidian Stout / Mirror Pond / Jubelale
Bitch Creek
Moose Drool
Moosehead
Delirium Nocturnum / Delirium Tremens
Drake's Denogginizer
Pliny the Elder / Pliny the Younger
Racer 5
Torpedo

Really, if I had to recommend any one brewing company it'd be Kona or Lagunitas. Literally everything I've had from them has struck my fancy.

Odd thing is, I don't like most IPA's because they're too bitter (and that's why Sierra Nevada isn't on the list beyond Torpedo), but I fucking love double IPA's because they're so bitter.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2013, 08:37:03 pm »

Always been a cider fan myself. Though I am not adverse to the odd 'girly' cocktail, because they tend to actually taste decent, and I don't have any huge manly image to uphold.

Mmm... cider. I'm fond of cider, various things mixed in coke, and as the night goes on my choices inevitably widen.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2013, 08:40:42 pm »

Give me a girly margarita once a year, and that's about the limit of my alcohol intake. Even that rarely tastes good enough to drink more than half of - I just don't like the taste all that much :|
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: [1] 2