Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Accidentally draining river  (Read 825 times)

MrCactus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Accidentally draining river
« on: August 30, 2013, 08:33:34 am »

Early in my current fort I accidentally flooded it due to being new and not having an understanding of the water pressure mechanics at the time, as a result I had to build a tunnel down to the first caverns to drain the water into, now, several dorf years later the river is noticeably draining, is there anyway I can block off the drainage tunnel to stop the caves from filling up and keep the river up. This problem's also caused the water pressure in some other things to be lower, should I just pump water back up from the caves or is there another way to stop the water flowing from the river into the caves?
Edit: And yes I was stupid/forgetful enough not to put a master floodgate at the first point where the river water comes into the fortress.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 08:42:01 am by MrCactus »

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
Re: Accidentally draining river
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 08:47:10 am »

The caverns will drain by themselves. Now, about the river.

My suggestion would be to collapse NATURAL WALLS onto it. NOT built walls.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 09:27:56 am »

is that because natural walls work like a plug but constructed walls deconstruct to the material they were made from?

My problem is a little different.  I 'over-tapped' a river near the map edge so dwarfs keep walking down into the 1/7 water and giving a dangerous terrain spam.  I've already had to forbid a wheel barrow in the middle of the river.  I don't know where he thought he was going.  I am thinking I'll have to wall off the area.
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

MrCactus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 09:46:02 am »

It worked! took a bit of organising working out which bits to channel out but managed to do it in the end, thanks  :D

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 10:45:26 am »

Hell yeah, I successfully helped someone!

*brofist*

MrCactus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 11:43:08 am »

hehe brofist to you too, but my incredibly unlucky/lucky miner managed to get injured... again, despite his odd capacity to always survive he always manages to get injured too.