Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: ☼Ruthless☼ - MasterworkDF Tutorial Fort - V.3h  (Read 7522 times)

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Ruthless☼ - MasterworkDF Tutorial Fort - V.3h
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2013, 09:52:21 pm »

Hey Meph, what is the skill for the Ore Processor?

Demonbutter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2013, 02:40:34 am »

Hey Meph, what is the skill for the Ore Processor?

Masonry

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2013, 03:08:17 am »

INTERLUDE - Lets present our famed and favourite dwarves:

Apani - Farmers Guild. Very Fat. Likes Exploding Catapult Ammo. Eats Shadowlea bushes and Elixier of Life. Very energetic.
`Ap Ani' Gemsitbanik has been quite content lately.  He slept in the grass recently.  He made a friend recently.  He has complained of the lack of a well lately.  He has been annoyed by flies.  He has complained of the lack of chairs lately.  He has been satisfied at work lately.  He was caught in the rain recently. 
He is a worshipper of Akrul and a casual worshipper of Akrul. 
He is a citizen of The Excavation of Abbeys.  He is a member of The Greatest Smiths.  He arrived at Bocashteshkad on the 1st of Granite in the year 26. 
He has the appearance of somebody that is forty-eight years old and is one of the first of his kind. 
He has a once-thin frame, now belarded.  He is very fat.  His sideburns are clean-shaven.  His medium-length moustache is arranged in double braids.  His very long beard is braided.  His medium-length hair is tied in a pony tail.  He has low cheekbones.  His hanging-lobed fuse-lobed ears are flattened.  His lips are thick.  His close-set round eyes are narrow.  His nose is narrow.  His ears are broad.  His ears are somewhat short.  His skin is brown.  His eyes are amethyst. 
He is flimsy, slow to heal, very quick to tire and very weak. 
`Ap Ani' Gemsitbanik likes schist, exploding catapult ammo, black opal, the color Grazhir-white and splints.  When possible, he prefers to consume impala, black piranha, shadowleaf bushes and elixir of life.  He absolutely detests scarabs. 
He has a very good feel for social relationships and a very good sense of the position of his own body, but he has an iffy memory and an atrocious spatial sense. 
He is very energetic and active.  He is not a risk-taker.  He tends not to openly express emotions.  He is open-minded to new ideas.  He admires tradition.  He always takes a deep breath whenever he is surprised.  His tongue sticks out when he's trying to remember something.  He  always points at others when greeting them.  He needs alcohol to get through the working day.  He likes working outdoors and grumbles only mildly at inclement weather. 

*FARMERS GUILD* This dwarf belongs to the guild of farmworkers, millers and cooks. They handle most of the food production, from planting crops and brewing them, over milking and cheesemaking, to butchery and cooking. A basic, but important factor of every fortress.

Mephistopheles - Earthkin. Weak, but unbreakable and inexaustible, agile. Likes slade, ebonglass and turrets. Short on patience.
`Mephistopheles' Bunsothrozsed has been quite content lately.  She slept in the grass recently.  She has complained of the lack of a well lately.  She has complained of the lack of chairs lately.  She has been annoyed by flies.  She has been satisfied at work lately.  She was caught in the rain recently. 
She is a dubious worshipper of Vanel Teachclarity and a worshipper of Akrul. 
She is a citizen of The Excavation of Abbeys.  She is a member of The Greatest Smiths.  She arrived at Bocashteshkad on the 1st of Granite in the year 26. 
She has the appearance of somebody that is thirty-four years old and is one of the first of her kind. 
She is weak.  She is weak.  Her hair is dry.  Her very long hair is tied in a pony tail. Her slightly wide-set eyes are narrow.  Her teeth are gapped.  She has very low cheekbones, and she has a narrow chin.  Her broad ears have nearly fused lobes.  Her narrow nose is hooked.  Her eyebrows are quite sparse.  Her head is somewhat broad.  Her hair is pumpkin.  Her skin is brown.  Her eyes are rust. 
She is basically unbreakable, absolutely inexhaustible, very agile and rarely sick, but she is very weak. 
`Mephistopheles' Bunsothrozsed likes slade, ebonglass, emerald, genie tooth, turret silk, axe heads, coins, turrets for their whirring mechanisms and strawberries for their vivid red color.  When possible, she prefers to consume fisher berries, hell wine, honey bee royal jelly and roasted seeds.  She absolutely detests crayfish. 
She has an unbreakable will and a good feel for social relationships, but she has a shortage of patience, a questionable spatial sense and lousy creativity. 
She is self-conscious.  She appreciates art and natural beauty.  She prefers familiar routines.  She finds helping others rewarding.  She is easily moved to pity.  She dislikes contracts and regulations. She strives for excellence.  She needs alcohol to get through the working day.  She likes working outdoors and grumbles only mildly at inclement weather. 

*EARTHKIN - EARTH LVL1* This dwarf bears a spark of magic in her. A fresh member of the school of earth, her skin turned to solid stone. She can caste an additional rock armor to further toughen her up. Being arcane in nature she can still cast her magic conceal spell. She is a novice in the use of the earth staff. Earthkins like to fight and feel less pain thanks to their stone skin. If carrying an earthen aura, she will be able to paralyze any enemy that gets too close for a short while.

Sage the Green - Incredibly muscular. Mighty and quick to heal. Likes mechanized axe throwers. Drinks hell wine. A sum pf patience.
`Sage the Green' Otungbanik has been fine lately.  She has been annoyed by flies.  She slept in the grass recently.  She has complained of the lack of a well lately.  She has complained of the lack of chairs lately.  She was caught in the rain recently.  She has been satisfied at work lately. 
She is a faithful worshipper of Vanel Teachclarity and a worshipper of Nesteth the Pantomimes of Speech. 
She is a citizen of The Excavation of Abbeys.  She is a member of The Greatest Smiths.  She is the expedition leader of The Greatest Smiths.  She is the broker of The Greatest Smiths.  She is the bookkeeper of The Greatest Smiths.  She arrived at Bocashteshkad on the 1st of Granite in the year 26. 
She has the appearance of somebody that is fifty-nine years old and is one of the first of her kind. 
She is incredibly muscular.  She is incredibly muscular.  Her hair is extremely dense.  Her very long hair is neatly combed.  She has very low cheekbones, and she has a narrow round chin.  Her teeth are widely-spaced.  Her slightly rounded eyes are narrow.  Her slightly hooked hooked nose is narrow. Her ears have nearly fused lobes.  Her free-lobed ears are broad.  Her eyebrows are extremely sparse.  Her hair is pumpkin.  Her skin is brown.  Her eyes are amethyst.  Her slightly thick lips are somewhat thin. 
She is mighty and quite quick to heal. 
`Sage the Green' Otungbanik likes white lacquered, cobalt, fossil, skies, mechanized axe throwers, cragtooth boars for their amazing sense of smell and steelhead trout for their anadromous nature.  When possible, she prefers to consume hell wine, sheep's milk and longland flour. She absolutely detests hornets. 
She has a very good feel for social relationships, a sum of patience and willpower, but she has bad intuition, poor empathy and poor analytical abilities. 
She is very comfortable in social situations.  She occasionally overindulges.  She can handle stress.  She is relaxed.  She likes to try new things.  She does not go out of her way to help others.  She is very disorganized.  She finds rules confining.  Her hands are animated when she speaks.  She needs alcohol to get through the working day.  She likes working outdoors and grumbles only mildly at inclement weather.   

Lotta Nubs - Very skinny and weak. Likes padded hoods and journals and whiplashes and whip vines and whip vine flour. AND FROST WRAITHS. Like to eat giant roaches. *Note: Have to keep a close eye on that one.
`Lotta Nubs' Igathdakost has been quite content lately.  She slept in the grass recently.  She has complained of the lack of a well lately.  She has been annoyed by flies.  She has complained of the lack of chairs lately.  She has been satisfied at work lately.  She was caught in the rain recently. 
She is a faithful worshipper of Liruk the Violences of Gold and a faithful worshipper of Akrul. 
She is a citizen of The Excavation of Abbeys.  She is a member of The Greatest Smiths.  She arrived at Bocashteshkad on the 1st of Granite in the year 26. 
She has the appearance of somebody that is thirty-six years old and is one of the first of her kind. 
She is very skinny.  She is very skinny.  Her ears are fuse-lobed.  Her nose bridge is very convex.  Her ears broad.  Her hair is clean-shaven.  Her eyes are narrow.  She has a narrow chin.  Her nose is narrow.  Her skin is brown. Her eyes are bronze. 
She is quite quick to heal, but she is weak and very quick to tire. 
`Lotta Nubs' Igathdakost likes gypsum, lay pewter, fire opal, green glass, scale, the color clear, elves, padded hoods, backpacks, journals, incredibly sharp whiplash and frost wraiths for their statuesque appearance.  When possible, she prefers to consume giant roach, smallmouth bass, horse cheese, whip wine and whip vine flour.  She absolutely detests cave crabs. 
She has an iron will, a great affinity for language, a good spatial sense, an ability to read emotions fairly well and a feel for music, but she has a meager kinesthetic sense and quite poor focus. 
She can handle stress.  She is very active.  She is open-minded to new ideas.  She is not straightforward when dealing with others.  She is compassionate.  She has a sense of duty.  She  laughs loudly when she's excited.  She needs alcohol to get through the working day.  She likes working outdoors and grumbles only mildly at inclement weather.   

Lena Roan - Incredibly muscular, tough and mighty. Likes explosions, and Alebdhewr's unknown frozen creature substance, oceans and sunberry juice for their healty nutritional value. Deep patience and has a feel for music. Loves a good thrill.
`Lena Roan' Sharsidkib has been quite content lately.  She slept in the dirt recently.  She has complained of the lack of a well lately.  She has complained of the lack of chairs lately.  She was caught in the rain recently.  She has been satisfied at work lately. 
She is an ardent worshipper of Liruk the Violences of Gold and a worshipper of Nesteth the Pantomimes of Speech. 
She has the appearance of somebody that is fifty-five years old and is one of the first of her kind. 
She is incredibly muscular.  She is incredibly muscular.  She has very low cheekbones, and she has a narrow chin.  Her teeth are crowded.  Her very thin lips are thick. Her very short hair is neatly combed.  Her ears have nearly fused lobes.  Her nose is narrow.  Her ears are broad.  Her eyes are somewhat narrow.  Her eyebrows are quite sparse.  Her hair is pumpkin.  Her skin is brown.  Her eyes are aquamarine. 
She is incredibly tough and mighty, but she is quite susceptible to disease. 
`Lena Roan' Sharsidkib likes explode, air, prase opal, Alebdhewr's unknown frozen creature substance, oceans, broadhead bolts, boots, goblets and sunberry juice for their healty nutritional value.  When possible, she prefers to consume dwarven wine.  She absolutely detests small red blood mites. 
She has a great affinity for language, a deep well of patience and a feel for music, but she has bad intuition, little willpower and a poor memory. 
She is comfortable in social situations.  She can handle stress.  She is somewhat reserved.  She is unassertive.  She loves a good thrill.  She appreciates art and natural beauty.  She is very trusting.  She doesn't like to compromise with others.  She is immodest.  She takes time when making decisions.  She gets distracted during conversations when she's excited.  She talks to herself when she's thinking.  She needs alcohol to get through the working day.  She likes working outdoors and grumbles only mildly at inclement weather.   

Lord Gamer - Beast Warden. Likes Necromancy and acid gems. Dubios workshipper of Dolok and worshipper of Dolok. What now? Is fat, clumsy, but almost never sick. A pessimist and quick to anger, with little patience.
`Lord Gamer' Bibarral has been quite content lately.  She slept on the floor recently.  She has been annoyed by flies.  She has complained of the lack of a well lately.  She has complained of the lack of chairs lately.  She has been satisfied at work lately. 
She is a dubious worshipper of Dolok and a worshipper of Dolok. 
She has the appearance of somebody that is fifty-four years old and is one of the first of her kind. 
She is fat.  She is fat.  Her nearly fuse-lobed ears are splayed out. She has a narrow chin.  Her ears are broad.  Her nose is narrow.  Her close-set eyes are narrow.  Her lips are slightly thick.  Her short hair is neatly combed.  Her eyebrows are extremely sparse.  Her hair is pumpkin.  Her skin is brown.  Her eyes are emerald. 
She is almost never sick, but she is slow to heal and clumsy. 
`Lord Gamer' Bibarral likes fine light green brick, necromantic, acid gem, gazelle hoof, cotton fiber fabric, broadhead bolts, hourglasss and coins.  When possible, she prefers to consume cave fish, one-humped camel cheese and boozebelly rum.  She absolutely detests army ants. 
She has an iron will, a sharp intellect, a natural ability with music, the ability to focus and good intuition, but she has a meager kinesthetic sense, little patience and next to no empathy. 
She is quick to anger.  She almost never feels discouraged.  She is a pessimist.  She is open-minded to new ideas.  She needs alcohol to get through the working day.  She likes working outdoors and grumbles only mildly at inclement weather. 

*BEAST WARDENS GUILD* This dwarf has joined the society of the beast wardens, a group of dwarves dedicated to the training and control of animals. While not recognized as a real guild by dwarven society, they do make excellent rangers, trappers and animal trainers. Building and maintaining insect hives falls under their responsibility as well.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2013, 03:10:42 am »

I'm watching this because I may be wanting to get back into DF soon.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Apani

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Architect, Novice Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2013, 04:46:51 am »

Ap Ani, uh? ::) So I'm fat, expert on farming, like exploding ammo, eat bushes and drink immortality. Can I live in an hobbit-hole, then?
Some of my old Stonesense albums, check them out!

https://imgur.com/a/BjQZnOg

https://imgur.com/a/FmNzHhh

ElenaRoan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2013, 07:34:01 am »

"She was caught in the rain recently" yup, that sounds like me *lol*
Someone, get the bug zapper! What do you mean that won't work on a bug the size of a house which glows? No, I don't want to hear it. Just get the damn zapper.

Lottanubs

• Bay Watcher
  • [DF_JOKE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2013, 09:06:36 am »

My dorf is a complete bell-end. On the bright side, maybe I'll do your vermin-hunting for you.

Apani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2013, 09:27:30 am »

Why everyone "grunts only mildly at inclement weather"?
I was going to ask why I'm in the Farmers Guild, then I remembered what jobs I asked for. I guess I really have an iffy memory.
I'm the only male between the dorfings, which reminds me of the male-female ratio in my class.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2013, 09:55:07 am »

FELSITE.

Maybe I should mention they year, completely forgot. Its of course the 26th year of our Lord Armok. We start our timeline new every time a fortress finds his holy stone, the veins of adamantine deep underground. So it has been a while since our mountainhomes laid claims to these wonders.

We are Ruthless are happy enough with the first ironbars, finished on the 3rd day of this month. Next to a massive bag of slag... I never understood how the smelters can produce so much garbage, even after we sorted the rocks and minerals, but they claim its impossible to avoid. Slag will clutter up our smelters and is useless... only way to get rid of it is to dump it into landfills... or a slagpit, which might even produce some useful blocks from it. But for now we leave it where it is, its not enough to slow down production. What we need... is an anvil. Our smelter has to shape one as soon as we have 5 bars of iron.

Wait a second. Lets not waste our good iron, we just take 3 blocks of stone and make a rock anvil in the Stonecutter. We could also use gems for this, but I rather keep them for something more useful. A crystal anvil isnt dwarvish enough for us anyway.

Our first windmill is operational, giving power to the unbuild millstone. Millstones grind hard objects in this fort. Yep, not like plants or so, but solid rock or bone. Ground up bone makes excellent flux. We made some crafters nearby to prepare the bone stacks for grinding, taking the rests of the tuskox. Even in death they still aid us. Just about brings a tear to my eyes.

Our builders have gotten real slow it seems, the area is not even fully dug out. Thats what happens if you allow your miners to fill in roles as masons and stonecrafters, pah! But then again they make blocks needed for many other projects, cut some gems here and there, build floors and walls. Sadly, our mining projects for more hematite and workshop space underground is going slowly.

We assign our 10 leatherwing bats for shearing, that should give our tanner something to do. 10 units of free leather is not bad at all. At the same time, a golden eagle is spotted flying over the camp, and a lignite vein has been discovered. Yes, I switch from topic to topic, dont let that confuse you, after all a dwarven fort is quite chaotic, believe me. Shock, Felsite is over... should I show the plans? ... No. Not enough changes to warrant bothering the engravers with a new map. But I can show what the forts yeller bellows through the halls, our "announcements"

::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

FengYun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2013, 11:03:29 am »

A tutorial fortress is great! I'll definitely read the new manual again.

I also want to be dwarfed. One of the miner guys.

Apani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2013, 11:47:26 am »

Everyone's a miner guy, actually. It's an everyone-does-everything policy, as proven by two miners out of six doing crafting jobs (and two just drinking). No such things as job specialization.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2013, 01:11:39 pm »

Well, there are only 5 miners, so thats possible. We only have 5 picks and 2 axes, so miners and lumberjacks are finite in number. And our herbalist is almost legendary.

HEMATITE - 26 year of Armok

Everyone is hungry again... we dwarves of "The Greatest Smiths" are very social eaters. We also have many work orders left from last month. Unfinished workshops, items to be created, mining designations... I think we will be busy for a while before we can start thinking about new projects. We still have a lot of work cut out making flux from bones, and making pig-iron from the iron.

We are still felling trees to open up the entry for wagons. Maybe we should build a depot outside, but it has to wait. Its just early summer, still many months till we need one. We also build two new workshops: The Kiln and the Crematory.

Turned conventiones on their heads, I, Mephistopheles, have not yet used any role advisors or strange dwarven therapists for any of this. Everyone is kept busy with random jobs, no one is really spezialised on anything, with the exception of our herbalist. Our dwarves eat raw meat, drink water from the lake, and so far only half of them have rooms. But believe me, it works. After all, it has been over three months already, and the fortress is still alive. Praise Armok and knock on stone.

Our iron production is still going strong. We have many bars, a lot of coke and ash. Burning coal into coke does produce ash, you didnt knew that? Well, you learn something new every day. And since we talk about new things: Rubble is a kind a rock your miners might find. No ones likes rubble, believe me. Its hard and slow to mine through, leaves nothing of value but dust, sometimes even enough damn rock dust to choke on or cause mini-cave-ins. Miners of the Masons Guild are trained well enough to know and avoid the dangers, but normal miners might get some bruises.  (A Note: Rubble does not cause fake cave-ins in this version, but it might very well do in the next one)

But we also have nice things that are new. Know the Screw Press? Well, have a look at it now, you might barely recognize your old friend. Well, if workshops are friends and not just buildings. If you know what I mean.

Ok, it turns out I am really bad at not-giving-new-orders. Yes, so bad that they really is bold, you hear me? Our poor 13 dwarves are overwhelmed with work, and instead of just doing a bit of it, they go on break, sleep, eat, drink.. at least no one started a party yet. Its just not enough work force to go around. Might be that the next month will really be only finishing last months orders, but at least I'll be back on track then. Lazy nob-cobblers, all of them. Except that Lena Roan girl, she is at least still mining. Strike the EARTH!

Apani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2013, 02:09:14 pm »

Mmmm, on that last point, don't you think orders overcrowding is due to your EDE policy? It's workforce versus specialization. Nobody is ever idling, but nobody is ever particularly good nor fast at his current job either. And if they don't take breaks, they can't take care of their needs properly (this one is subjective, it's very easy for a dwarf to stay idle for months and go on break right when you need them, I know). In the worst case, your dwarves will switch from a job to a random other, maybe in a distant place also, so you get both betrayed by dwarves always moving from place to place and being slow to work as well.

Lottanubs

• Bay Watcher
  • [DF_JOKE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2013, 02:54:50 pm »

You could abuse burrows to get people to do things. That might mitigate the time lost from breaks and stuff. I think they get bad thoughts though.. So..

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2013, 03:27:06 pm »

Since this is a tutorial fortress, I'd like to be Dorfed as the first baby born here - to show the average life cycle of a fotress dwarf born n bred. (Or snatched, used as a meat shield, cast into a lake of lava, ect...)
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6