Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: ☼Ruthless☼ - MasterworkDF Tutorial Fort - V.3h  (Read 7515 times)

Lottanubs

• Bay Watcher
  • [DF_JOKE]
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Ruthless☼ - MasterworkDF Tutorial Fort - V.3h
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2013, 06:38:44 am »

Apani, one of the most major Masterwork changes is the homogenization of wood which increases framerate. I guess what you're saying is that you have simple wood turned off, so you want different types of smooth wood blocks?

Apani

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Architect, Novice Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2013, 06:51:18 am »

Yeah, playing Kobolds only I keep forgetting about how it works for dwarves. :-X Anyway, doesn't simple wood have different wood like ironbark anyway?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 06:54:20 am by Apani »
Some of my old Stonesense albums, check them out!

https://imgur.com/a/BjQZnOg

https://imgur.com/a/FmNzHhh

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2013, 07:10:32 am »

The difference between rough wood and smooth wood is this:
Spoiler: rough (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: smoothed (click to show/hide)

Usually furniture is made like this:
Fell tree.
Cut branches off.
Transport to sawmill.
Remove bark.
Separate heartwood from sapwood.
Dry heartwood.
Cut heartwood into timber.
Build furniture from timber.
Lacquer it.

DF currently is:
Fell tree.
Build furniture from tree.

I would also suggest moving this discussion into the suggestions thread in the Masterwork board, because this is a succession fort, not modding. ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Apani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2013, 07:21:27 am »

Wasn't it an exposition tutorial fort? You've been describing various features of your mod, and people have been commenting them. Sounds fine to me. Anyway, what I complained about is smooth wood all looking the same, especially when smoothing precious ones, like steeloak, gives back a semi-worthless, omogeneous one.
And about branches: who feels like adding handles?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2013, 07:32:46 am »

You can only smooth steeloak if you play with "simple wood:off", which is not the default and therefore irrelevant. I even added a notice that playing with "simple woof:on" will enable every wood for smoothing.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2013, 07:33:36 am »

But but but simple wood on improves FPS.

Apani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2013, 08:00:07 am »

Playing Kobolds helps FPS. Tempting fate. ::)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2013, 08:58:52 am »

Kobolds should actually be more FPS-intensive, because they rely on orgres for melee, jackrats for food and have a higher population number then dwarves... At least thats how its intended.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2013, 09:03:08 am »

1st of LIMESTONE, early autumn in the 26th year of our Lord, the God of Blood, the great and almighty Armok.

Wow, didnt know what came over me, I'm not the religious type usually, so lets go on. Seriously, we dont even have any monasteries, altars, shrines or temples yet. Mh... we do have totems, so we could build some I guess... but, we also made... a NEW MOD WORKSHOP:

It is autumn, that means no more planting on the surface. Dont want to waste the seeds. It also means that the caravan from the mountainhomes can arrive any minute, so we better have something to trade. I ordered 10 gem statues, but seemingly no one wants to make them... but in the meantime, the two lumberjacks are cutting a way for the wagons, the depot was not accessable because of all those pesky wooden trees. Our researchers also found another way to use gems:

But, I digress. I wanted to show you newcomers a little addition I call the "Furniture Workshop". Now, why in hell do we need this? Dont we have a mason, and a stonecutter, and furniture from plants in the thatchery you just showed, and from gems in the gemcutter, and even from bones in the bonecutter that I havent shown? Well, yes, you are right of course, but the Furniture Workshop will decrease your micromanagement. A lot. And its simple. Trust me. I am trustworthy, so trust me.

Ah, I love dwarven humor. The tradegoods we made depict the deity of trading, striking a triumphant pose:

This is a amethyst statue of Bridgeoil. 
The item is a image of Bridgeoil, the deity of trade, wealth and jewels, depicted as a female dwarf in amethyst by Gesith Edolbembul.  Bridgeoil is  striking a triumphant pose. 

I decided to dig a bit deeper, lets see what the next five levels bring. Research and blueprints are going slow, nothing new. We started a bit of a better wall, making dining room sets from wood, ink from ash, upgrading leather... wait, upgrading leather? Yeah, thats possible, but I wont go into detail now. Maybe later, when I have all the leathers to show you. ;) For now this is it, Limestone is over and the monthly report is finished. Be sure to listen to your favourite Overseer, Mephistopheles, on our next episode of Ruthless. What might the autumn bring? Horrible werebeasts? Bored traders? Only one way to find out...

OOC: Only 6 of 15 dwarves are dwarved. Fort is going well. No deaths. Still 100+ drinks and food. No problems, which is nice for a Tutorial.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2013, 09:04:52 am »

Cool cool.

Apani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2013, 09:27:09 am »

On thatch roofs: do they show up correctly in Stonesense? Is thatch still worth just 2? I think more plants should give wicker, so you could actually build huts from gathered plants like aborigens.
I'd be glad to have so many ogres I go to 1 FPS. Shalswars, jackrats might clutter, but nothing ever stops you from butchering them. The only FPS eaters I worry about are Cave Inhabitants, Gremlins and Cave Beetles that is. If you embark on a cave in a world with many years, odds are high to find a shantytown. You can't butcher stones, thought. 8) (not most types, at least)

Demonbutter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2013, 04:12:34 am »

I would snatch a Dwarf, gender is unimportant but I would like a Dwarf destined for death or glory. I can wait.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2013, 05:31:57 am »

Next season I can dwarf everyone (but the firstborn, no babies yet), everything is peaceful so far. :) First year almost over.

Edit: And it seems I cant even play 1 year without writing another update. At that rate I'll never finish one fort. ^^
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 01:01:42 pm by Meph »

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2013, 12:31:23 am »

I'd love a dorfing, preferably male, maybe someone with skills in metal of some sort or mining.

Also, I love your exposition fort.  I started up MDF the other day and stopped, because it was bit much for me, having only played for a month or so.  Really enjoying the thread!

vcordie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2013, 11:06:57 am »

Is this dead? :(
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6