Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: OK... so exactly how does magma replenish work?  (Read 472 times)

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
OK... so exactly how does magma replenish work?
« on: March 02, 2008, 05:41:00 pm »

Assuming that I am on a map that was created with the latest version (27.176.38c) that has a natural volcano that reaches the surface, how does the game handle magma replenish?

Lets say that I were to make a 1-z-level crust in the highest magma-filled Z-level of the volcano, and then channel out a single hole in that crust that reaches the surface again.  Would the magma fill in that single empty tile, or would it continue to flood out through that single tile, making a big mess?

In short, I guess I am asking whether magma replenish is tied to the original volume of magma in the volcano caldera's top z-level, or if it simply reaches equilibrium when it gets to the z-level of the original surface of the caldera.

If it is tied to volume and not Z-level, then could we cap off the magma, dig out a single tile or two in the crust, build an empty tower-construction on top of that, and have magma start pouring into it?  The fun that could be had with that...

BTW- sorry if this has been gone over before. I did try to find out more by searching the forum and the wiki, but couldn't find the answers.

Talion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: OK... so exactly how does magma replenish work?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 11:59:00 pm »

I'm not sure I understand what your asking. Do you mean trying something like this?
code:
.   .. .
#~~~~~~#

Add a pump to pull out magma and then pump it back in.
.   xX .
#~~~~~~#

I haven't experimented yet, so I'm not sure, but in the above example the pump would do nothing, unless the lava happened to replenish while some of it was in the air.
I suspect the lava is replenished based on the original volume, but lava doesn't replenish unless you take some out first, so the storage would need to be below the level of the magma or pumps would be needed. In any case lava doesn't raise under pressure, so capping the lava would have no effect if there was no where for it to go on the same level.

code:
#     #
#~~~~~#
#~~~~~#

Lava doesn't raise beyond original z-level
#     #  #
########~#
#~~~~~~~~#

I'd have to experiment to be sure, but I think that is correct. In any case hopefully I've anwsered your questions somewhere along the line.