Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: x Oceanus - Space is an Ocean  (Read 3276 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: x Oceanus - Space is an Ocean
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2013, 10:54:19 pm »

Name:
Bloodline - Uzhepan (pale-skinned, honest; incredibly strong, fantastic tinkers)
Profession: Yvoka (wanderer)
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2013, 11:13:06 pm »

Name: (You're naming them for us, right?)
Well not really. I was kinda hoping you guys would try some stuff so I could figure out what's gonna really fit y'know? Just go for it. Go nuts. But not actually.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2013, 12:26:07 pm »

In that case, my character is named Nin-Kabohva Henbiere(hen-BYRE)
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2013, 03:48:40 pm »

Nin-Kabohva Henbiere(hen-BYRE)
That doesn't work. Nin cannot be used as a prefix. In it's suffix form the word -nin marks something as being false, or once true, now false. It can also be used alone to say that something is a lie.

People can be named after adjectives and nouns and such just like ancient cultures used to do, the simplest example being American Indians (Falling Eagle, Swift Bear, etc.). So if you want to make up some words that's fine, but tell me what you want them to mean first.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2013, 04:44:39 pm »

Name: Ketgrine-Ys Black-heart (Ketgrine meaning 'the grinning one', or something along those lines.)
Bloodline - Janilman
Profession: Pvata-Nin
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 05:31:18 pm by GiglameshDespair »
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2013, 04:51:41 pm »

took the time to make a proper sheet:

Name: *pulls out T'au dictionary* Porui Vashya
Bloodline Uzhepan (pale-skinned, honest; incredibly strong, fantastic tinkers)
Profession: Yvoka (wanderer)

I'm wondering, about Rolepgeek and Giglamesh sheets: did you get access to the GM's notes or did you made things on the spot and happened to infringe grammatical rules by accident?
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2013, 05:06:40 pm »

I'm wondering, about Rolepgeek and Giglamesh sheets: did you get access to the GM's notes or did you made things on the spot and happened to infringe grammatical rules by accident?
The latter. What is your name supposed to mean? Or you can let me make it up.

Giglamesh your name is Ketgrine-Ys Black Heart. If you're okay with that, please change your sheet accordingly.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2013, 05:22:23 pm »

it's Tau. "Por" is the caste of water. In 40k they're merchants but in this setting it just seemed appropriate ^^ Could be replaced by "Kor", the caste of air, the pilots.
"Ui" is a grade, in military (fire caste) it's basically sergeant. Vashya is a world famed from its pilots, so it came to mean "good pilot".

But that's the Tau meaning, where names depends on caste, birthplace and achievements, not the Krau meaning. So you can make it up :P
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Full Sig

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2013, 05:23:53 pm »

it's Tau. "Por" is the caste of water. In 40k they're merchants but in this setting it just seemed appropriate ^^ Could be replaced by "Kor", the caste of air, the pilots.
"Ui" is a grade, in military (fire caste) it's basically sergeant. Vashya is a world famed from its pilots, so it came to mean "good pilot".

But that's the Tau meaning, where names depends on caste, birthplace and achievements, not the Krau meaning. So you can make it up :P
I'd prefer the language to be as original as possible, so no ripping from the Tau. Sorry!

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2013, 05:50:41 pm »

I never said to keep the Tau meaning... But okay, I'll alter it.
...*brainstorming*...

How about Korui Vakorest? No idea about what it's supposed to mean.
Full Sig

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2013, 05:55:41 pm »

I just meant using Tau words. That's their thing.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2013, 09:22:01 pm »

Nin-Kabohva Henbiere(hen-BYRE)
That doesn't work. Nin cannot be used as a prefix. In it's suffix form the word -nin marks something as being false, or once true, now false. It can also be used alone to say that something is a lie.

People can be named after adjectives and nouns and such just like ancient cultures used to do, the simplest example being American Indians (Falling Eagle, Swift Bear, etc.). So if you want to make up some words that's fine, but tell me what you want them to mean first.
-ed is also a suffix. But some people are named Edward. I mean, it's a name, not trying to insult the language you made, but remember that most names mean something from an old language, or are corruptions thereof. It's not that hard to imagine a suffix being placed at the front. Of course, if it would be unthinkable for the people to do so, based on their psychology or culture, that's fine. Just trying to help the spread of information.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2013, 09:32:37 pm »

>.>

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2013, 09:35:49 pm »

Just get rid of the Hyphen and it could be fine. I don't know anything about naming conventions, and only actually know about 6 words, so I have nothing to go off of. You can't really expect us to make names in the format you like if we don't know anything.

His name is supposed to mean 'chef' or 'food-maker' or in one variation, 'farm-keeper'; his parents were a bit disappointed. It's also meant to mean this in a really old, half-dead language.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2013, 10:18:56 pm »

I just meant that you could tell me what you want the words to mean and then I'll make it work for you, since it's not like I've covered every word in the dictionary yet, just like "gun" and "soldier" and "boat" and stuff like that. There aren't any grammatical conventions, aside from that one, and I was just saying you can't do that, because I was using it to describe people who formerly did stuff, and that it made no sense as a prefix because Word of God. I'm trying to make it as easy as possible. It's not like we'll actually be talking in a separate language, and it's just for funzies so we can refer to stuff with cool random vocabulary and describe alien notions and ideas that my neat fictional culture has. :P

EDIT: It's not realistic, and it doesn't reference actual languages, real or not. The same with the science. It's soft as heck and it won't make sense. But it'll be fun! :D
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 10:20:42 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »
Pages: 1 [2] 3