Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: x Oceanus - Space is an Ocean  (Read 3271 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
x Oceanus - Space is an Ocean
« on: August 30, 2013, 12:50:05 am »

- - - x Oceanus - - -

You are a Krau, a member of a noble race of ancient seafarers. Your people were born in the water and have lived from it since the dawn of time. There are some subcultures mixed in, but everyone is ultimately loyal to the Bhed (literally: the soul of our people). Read the timeline below if you wish to learn more. Otherwise move on to character sheets. This game is similar to Land of the Sky, but with a focus on battle (no I'm not rolling for anything). Compare to Lordship games.

---

History of the World
0 Post Super-World Travel - Mankind is born into existence
600 PSWT - Approximately this time mankind's greatest civilisations are said to have been built
650 PSWT - The great philosopher Thenamaus declares that there are worlds beyond the sky. When his theories are dismissed, he approaches the local king in the hopes that he might understand. He is determined to be insane and drowned in the sea for his strange ideas. It wouldn't be until over half a century later that mankind would discover the truth behind his words
800 PSWT - Firearms are invented. Civilised combat is pioneered in the following decades
981 PSWT - The Wider Wars occur between the three greatest nations the world has ever known: Kinus, Janimle and Uzhepa, all named after legendary figures in their history
999 PSWT - The Battle of the Yora Sea, a day long battle involving all three sides that was the bloodiest the world had seen, or ever would see, ends on the eve of the 11th century. The sadness during it's aftermath was so great that all sides simultaneously agreed to lay down their arms
1000 PSWT - The Wider Wars officially end in armistice
1037 PSWT - During the period of intellectual prosperity that had been created by the end of the Wider Wars, and as a direct result of the destructive technology that was created during that time, mankind discovers Oceanus, the sea of water that lies beyond the earth, surrounding it
1139 PSWT - On the 102nd anniversary of it's discovery, Oceanus, which normally maintained a very stable surface, collapsed in hundreds of places to varying degrees of severity. Some cities and towns merely experienced abnormal rainfall, others were, without any warning, crushed in the blink of an eye by trillions of tons of water, including many government estates, and all three capitols from each great nation. Tens of millions of lives are snuffed out across the entire world as the massive waves of water destroy major cities belonging to each nation
1142 PSWT - Mankind calls a great council comprised of all the mightiest philosophical and scientific leaders of the age, collected from and representing each nation's spirit, culture, and ideals. After months of debate, a decision is finally reached..
1143 PSWT - Mankind's wisdom is pooled, it's technology is combined, it's manyfold cultures stirred together to create a single nation, known as Krau-Bhed. At the same time, it's warriors conspire to form the most formidable and elite force ever to exist in order to lead this ultimate civilisation into a golden age, the Temos
1150 PSWT - The first Oceanus-capable vehicles are built and sailed into the mass itself. Mankind never could have anticipated the wonderful things that lay in and beyond the mightiest of seas
107 CSWT - Present Day

Best characters get chosen. Not first come first serve.
Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 05:19:26 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: x Oceanus - Space is an Ocean
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 04:36:41 pm »

Oceanus
The vast ocean of water that makes up the space beyond this world and between the others.

Divers
Divers are personal vehicles of variable size. They are used by the Krau to explore Oceanus. Most own at least a small one that seats a single person, but they can reach gargantuan sizes. Small to mid-sized ones can fly, all can at least hover several feet off the ground. The largest ones never leave Oceanus, requiring their repairs and refitting to be done away from the surface around worlds on free-floating docks.

Rotar Detection Device
Rotars are glass spheres filled with normal sea water. Inside the sea water are several kinds of perfectly buoyant metal balls of varying size, density and properties. These include ones that are sensitive to gravity, change in direction, magnetism, and other things. The larger the rotar, the more accurate the reading. Rotars are always in Divers. Rotars are contained within a special kind of gyroscope, such that it's contents are never affected by the movement of the ship around it to prevent inaccurate readings, but some Krau insist that they don't always work perfectly. Rotars are so far the only way to navigate 3-dimensionally inside Oceanus without consulting numerous advanced charts that require specially trained navigators to comprehend. They are also extremely effective sensors, completely modular, dirt cheap to make, and all Krau know how to use them with the assistance of basic charts.

Players: ---
Waitlist: ---
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 10:52:54 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 05:09:04 pm »

I don't understand... Space is... filled with seawater instead of nothing? And somehow everything else is the same? Sounds like an interesting premise.  :D
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 05:12:15 pm »

I don't understand... Space is... filled with seawater instead of nothing? And somehow everything else is the same? Sounds like an interesting premise.  :D
Yeah. Water instead of space. It's based upon the ancient myth by which people used to explain how the sky was blue (because an ocean surrounded the earth, and the gods lived in it or on the other side or something).

EDIT: And no the setting is nothing like Earth is. The people are very different. I'll get to that too.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 05:15:03 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 05:13:26 pm »

I never really explained what the Gates were or why they were eventually called those, but I'll make another entry for it in my little lore bank above the player list right now.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 05:41:51 pm »

I'll take an Yvoka Uzhepan, will flesh out tomorrow morning.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Full Sig

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 05:47:22 pm »

Other way around. You're an Uzhepa Yvoka-Nis, but normally a stranger would just call you Yvoka until he actually learned your name. Yes I made up a language too. I've got notebooks and stuff.

EDIT: Speaking of which I'll probably end up naming your characters for you, or just hand-waving it.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 05:49:18 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 06:11:09 pm »

Other way around. You're an Uzhepa Yvoka-Nis, but normally a stranger would just call you Yvoka until he actually learned your name. Yes I made up a language too. I've got notebooks and stuff.

EDIT: Speaking of which I'll probably end up naming your characters for you, or just hand-waving it.
1)+10 awesomeness for making up a language
2) fair enough for the naming. It's not like we name ourself IRL ^^
Full Sig

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2013, 06:55:59 pm »

I think that I will make a character too.

however I am traveling to work right now. Will do it sometime after I get home (but I need to update World of Myth 1st)
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2013, 07:29:39 pm »

1)+10 awesomeness for making up a language
2) fair enough for the naming. It's not like we name ourself IRL ^^
Thanks.

And fair enough on your fair enough.

however I am traveling to work right now. Will do it sometime after I get home (but I need to update World of Myth 1st)
Radical.

Oooohhhh. Oohh. Want. Linky plox when you get around to it.

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2013, 08:02:10 pm »

Radical.

Oooohhhh. Oohh. Want. Linky plox when you get around to it.

Ok here is a link, (warning there is a waiting list) World of Myth RTD II
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2013, 08:10:56 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So space is a big ocean? I'm super confused but okay!
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2013, 08:33:03 pm »

Name: (AHEHUEHAHEHUAHEHAHU)
Bloodline - All Krau are skilled swimmers and fighters: Uzhepan
Profession: Ovopa-Nin
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2013, 10:47:09 pm »

Pretend like Earth is a bubble. Like a little bubble of air with a speck of dirt in the middle. And that's what other planets are like too. Except a lot closer together. And there's no sun. Where do day and night cycles come from? Fuck if I know.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2013, 10:50:43 pm »

Pretend like Earth is a bubble. Like a little bubble of air with a speck of dirt in the middle. And that's what other planets are like too. Except a lot closer together. And there's no sun. Where do day and night cycles come from? Fuck if I know.

Giant god-like angler fish equivalents.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.
Pages: [1] 2 3