Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: [FEF] MGs in the Tower of Horrors (OOC/Discussion) [With Glacial Speed]  (Read 23777 times)

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
Re: [FEF] Magical Girls in the Tower of Horrors (OOC/Discussion) [It Has Begun]
« Reply #120 on: September 07, 2013, 08:45:53 pm »

I will be going full dark magic :3 Because who the hell thought I'd do anything else?

Hopefully I'll get Nosferatu at some point.

Because lifesteal is very helpful for mah magicks :3
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 08, 2013, 12:41:35 am »

Apologies for the further delays.

Why not let us do conditionals--"Attack X, or one of the Y's if X is dead".
Since this is the only opinion on the matter, we'll probably be doing that.

Originally I didn't want conditionals because I was concerned about getting these ungodly if-else chains based on every little detail. Conditionals would probably still be better than doing it piecemeal, though, so if all rushing at once doesn't work, that's probably the best compromise.

Can we get a link to the IC in the OP, oh most kind and beneficent GM?
Yeah. Intended to do that soon after getting everything set up, but then caught up in other things.

For Mage Knight, would crossbows have my MAG added to them for damage?
Well, let's see...

...ah. Afraid not, amusing as such an exploit would be.

I will be going full dark magic :3 Because who the hell thought I'd do anything else?
Y-you're not going to be the most comforting healer ever? D:
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 08, 2013, 12:48:05 am »

I think I'm going Saint. Could my skill be either related to bringing people back to life, or about martyrdom(and me getting better at healing and such as I lose health/when I do?). I think my fault will have to do with being blind.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 08, 2013, 01:10:39 am »

I think I'm going Saint. Could my skill be either related to bringing people back to life, or about martyrdom(and me getting better at healing and such as I lose health/when I do?). I think my fault will have to do with being blind.
Hm.

Bringing people back from the dead is a tricky one. On the one hand, it suffers from the same issue all ally-death skills have- it's probably going to be really, really rare. On the other hand, turning death into not-death is really, really strong, so it sort of pays for itself.

Giving it specific circumstances or especially only a chance to function might be able to make it work, since then it'd have the same issue as Miracle- it's a really, really useful effect, but since it's not guaranteed you can't actually rely on it unless you're absolutely desperate.

As for what kind of a chance... not sure. I'd have to think about that a bit, and again, you've got that weird dichotomy of being really rare but really powerful. Tentatively I think I might lean towards 50%?

Martyrdom-themed bonuses at lower health is a bit easier. Could have a threshold or some kind of formula, or could just give you a temporary boost every time you take damage, probably based on the strength of the damage.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 08, 2013, 01:28:49 am »

... :< But... but that last one is my ability... :P
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 08, 2013, 11:26:45 am »

Yeah, but you're a glass cannon. I'm a bulky healer.

What I was thinking for the death is to have a limited time span for it to work, and cost a lot of my health, and have to be next to where they died, with no enemies there. Or something.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 08, 2013, 11:34:55 am »

Well, let's see...
What exploit?

What I was thinking for the death is to have a limited time span for it to work, and cost a lot of my health, and have to be next to where they died, with no enemies there. Or something.
No enemies where? In that one space?

And with blindness, what would that do? Make it so that you can't target anything not adjacent to you, reduce Defense for ranged attacks, what?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 08, 2013, 11:44:52 am »

I don't know, really. Probably just make her really shitty in combat. And by no enemies there, I meant no enemies adjacent to where the person had died.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Lukeinator

• Bay Watcher
  • Kophey
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 10, 2013, 05:01:15 pm »

Bump.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=135480.0 My second FOOTBLEED game.
This thread is Bay12 incarnate.

Like the mermaid bones farm and the Kill-your-baby machine.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 11, 2013, 09:09:19 pm »

Yeah, but you're a glass cannon. I'm a bulky healer.

I'll have to think on this more. Doesn't mean you should stop thinking about it. :P

Anyway, the main issue I have is that I want to avoid meaningless/situational downsides/costs. For instance, you've listed four conditions/costs here:

-Time limit
-Large health cost
-Adjacency requirement
-No enemies adjacent requirement

Which sounds fairly specific, but what exactly do these conditions mean/encourage? The time limit and adjacency is fairly close to a "die within X spaces" limit, with a bit of positioning issue thrown in. The health cost is either a "can't do it if injured/must use healing beforehand" or "dangerous to use" type thing. The enemies thing seems to be in a similar boat to the low health bit, in that it limits the situations you can use it in based on what enemies are still up.

So... it sounds fairly restrictive at first blush, but I'm concerned about it turning into "we have to kill this enemy or drag the corpse away first." It'd also be hard to use in the thick of combat but trivial to use during cleanup.

That's not to say it can't work, just that I'm wary of it.

I don't know, really. Probably just make her really shitty in combat. And by no enemies there, I meant no enemies adjacent to where the person had died.
I wouldn't worry about that. There's no shortage of ways, traditional or creative, to make your character bad at something by virtue of being blind.

Well, let's see...
What exploit?
Crossbows ignore the wielder's STR. They have high base MT (damage) to compensate, making them ideal for low-STR archers.

Mage Knights have an ability that allows them to apply the higher of their STR or MAG to a weapon, regardless of whether it's a physical weapon (which normally always uses STR) or a magical weapon (which normally always uses MAG).

So, as written, arguably crossbows would benefit from a Mage Knight's Magic stat, since crossbows ignore STR and a Mage Knight applies their MAG. It's kind of clearly not the intent of the weapon family or class, though.

In a similar and equally amusing vein, I believe Mage Knights automatically apply whichever stat is higher, not "better for the situation" or similar, meaning if we were going by that reasoning, a Mage Knight with 1 more STR than MAG would still gain 0 bonus on crossbows, since they'd be forced to use their higher STR which would then be ignored.

Bump.
Yeah, sorry about that. If it's any consolation, I haven't posted in the FEF thread I'm playing in for like a week either. >_>

Sadly, I still haven't had time to properly get everything together, so there'll be a bit more of a delay yet.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
Re: [FEF] Magical Girls in the Tower of Horrors (OOC/Discussion) [Sloth GM]
« Reply #130 on: September 12, 2013, 03:41:00 am »

Since your character element is Martyrdom, how about

Martyr: When this unit dies(yes, single use), heal all other units(even ones who have fallen in this battle apart from this unit). possible add: also kill the unit that cause this unit death(since it a single use, not even a boss character is immune).
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 12, 2013, 08:31:40 pm »

I...really don't like that. It's just...to use it, I have to stop playing the game/die. Martyrdom, yes, but dying randomly and suddenly giving my friend's stuff? Not really.

I might try it for a Skill on my promotion or something, not at the beginning, if you'd allow that. I think I'll go for a Martyrdom themed ability which gives me bonuses based on how low my health is. I don't know how you'd want it to balance, though. I'd like to get defensive bonuses as it gets lower, and some healing bonuses, and eventually a movement one. Possibly something about reflecting magic, as well.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 12, 2013, 09:41:23 pm »

Did the descriptpions.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 13, 2013, 02:39:29 am »

I...really don't like that. It's just...to use it, I have to stop playing the game/die. Martyrdom, yes, but dying randomly and suddenly giving my friend's stuff? Not really.
Okay how about...

Martyr: When this unit take damage, heal the closest(within 5 spaces?) ally the same amount as the attack. If more then one is the same number away, roll a N-sided(N being the number of choosable allies) to decide.
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Lukeinator

• Bay Watcher
  • Kophey
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 13, 2013, 05:58:59 am »

If Irony likes that, I will be standing next to Rolep the entire game
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=135480.0 My second FOOTBLEED game.
This thread is Bay12 incarnate.

Like the mermaid bones farm and the Kill-your-baby machine.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10