Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: Tropico 5, coming May 23rd  (Read 14093 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tropico 5, coming May 23rd
« Reply #105 on: May 27, 2014, 04:55:23 pm »

Individuals are pretty dumbed down. You have for one the whole broke-poor-well off-rich-filthy rich thing instead of actual wages and pocket money, basically it seems anyone has infinite money so long as each transaction doesn't exceed their pay tier. The almanac seems to give much less information than I remember.

Yes, the almanac is almost unusable now because of how little you have at your fingertips in a couple clicks.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 27, 2014, 05:06:52 pm »

Individuals are pretty dumbed down. You have for one the whole broke-poor-well off-rich-filthy rich thing instead of actual wages and pocket money, basically it seems anyone has infinite money so long as each transaction doesn't exceed their pay tier. The almanac seems to give much less information than I remember.
This, especially this, it is much harder to be a dictator that caters to his personal elite military/personal when you are very limited on how you can segregate them.  (Also damn traitors keep signing up for the military and I have even less control over winning them over and what-not...)
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Imperial Guardsman

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANATICISM INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 27, 2014, 05:23:11 pm »

Wish it cost less, Im not paying that much for this, Kalypso dont become the EA of sims

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 27, 2014, 07:13:37 pm »

Wish it cost less, Im not paying that much for this, Kalypso dont become the EA of sims
I dunno what you're complaining about, future DLC worries aside $40 is a lot cheaper than most large-production games when they come out.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 27, 2014, 08:04:51 pm »

I was able to nab it at the pre-order price of $35 and I am VERY happy with that price. $60? Hell no...$50? Pushing acceptability...$40 seems reasonable for a AAA/AA title game

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 27, 2014, 11:21:08 pm »

I'm quite annoyed at the reduced "iron hand" military feasibility. Before, (read: Tropico 3) you could simply pay high wages to your soldiers, build a military base, etc.
Now, because there is no way to keep only the soldiers happy, the chances of a coup are pretty much directly related with average happiness. Meaning that if you want to build a pleasant little hellhole island and keep it running with the military, it's quite difficult/impossible to prevent coups from happening.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 27, 2014, 11:55:02 pm »

You can control wages...and build bases...and pay your troops more than everyone. You can also bribe the faction leader of the military to keep him happier as well as the rest of the faction

tHe_silent_H

• Bay Watcher
  • Did you win?
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 27, 2014, 11:55:30 pm »

I was SO excited for this, and I played it for almost a day constantly - and then realised that the game feels like a dumbed down Tropico 4. It just doesn't feel as deep, as layered, it's almost like a pretty browser game but without the timers or microtransactions.

And what's the point of the heirs? Your starting character doesn't die during the ages, so you never - ever - need to switch to a new character. Besides having new managers, there's just no real use for them at all!

I just don't feel the replayability in the same way I enjoyed Tropico 4 over, and over, and over again.

It needs DLC like we need oxygen, I'm so disappointed. I'm just glad I didn't pay full price.

they can die,had my Presidente steam rolled by rebels suddenly attacking on top of him.

I really missing tracking tourists, t4 had so much detail on them i could find out if they were bored, out of money, who they dragged along with them, now i get a name, only on adults too...
Did you know that if you write 3.14 on a piece of paper and hold it in a mirror, it will say pie? And if you divide 42 by 3.14... you get 13.37!

It is incredibly satisfying to kill a man with a butterfly.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 28, 2014, 01:14:37 pm »

You can control wages...and build bases...and pay your troops more than everyone. You can also bribe the faction leader of the military to keep him happier as well as the rest of the faction
Yea, you could, but then you can't properly lower the wages of everyone else.  And force em to stay in Tropico... where their only hope is to fight against El Presidente and die... or keep their head down and accept their lot in life.
Also, only the military would be able to vote in my scheme.  Maybe a few others who I deem important, I always choose to discriminate by wealth...  Plus, I'd also have college level soldiers(generals) if I could.
... I must look into how I can successfully suppress the total number of voters without tanking my economy and getting taken out in a coup.  On Difficult/Difficult at the very least.

On that note, political difficulty level between Very Difficult and Difficult is astounding.  I am being my dictator self, enforcing repressive policies and what-not... actually slightly more repressive... and people loved me.  Till modern times rolled up.  My approval/happiness started to tank, cause I guess average caribbean happiness caught up and factions all started to hate me more cause of the 3 new constitutional additions I guess.

EDIT
Fun observation: You only get 1 heir per game apparently.  So I guess you gotta power through a buncha short 3 point victory islands to let RNG pick up some acceptable people to put on your roster..

EDIT2: Military, you need more then 1 high school before the fighting really starts... cause my industry buildings are almost empty.  I currently prefer running militia. 
(Not sure if militia are also high schoolers actually... which may be part of why I have so few?)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 01:22:51 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 28, 2014, 02:07:35 pm »

Also, only the military would be able to vote in my scheme.  ...

Service Guarantees Citizenship!  ;)
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 28, 2014, 02:39:06 pm »

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 28, 2014, 04:41:26 pm »

Fun observation: You only get 1 heir per game apparently.  So I guess you gotta power through a buncha short 3 point victory islands to let RNG pick up some acceptable people to put on your roster.
I've had two heirs appear in a single game. You're probably just unlucky.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 28, 2014, 06:03:34 pm »

Fun observation: You only get 1 heir per game apparently.  So I guess you gotta power through a buncha short 3 point victory islands to let RNG pick up some acceptable people to put on your roster.
I've had two heirs appear in a single game. You're probably just unlucky.

I'm up to three.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 28, 2014, 06:12:43 pm »

I think the max is actually like 10 isnt it? there are a lot of slots

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 28, 2014, 07:29:02 pm »

Wow, I am really unlucky then.  Cause I've played 2 colonial-modern sandbox games and have only ever seen one heir each.

Also, random island, no fish.  Crown asks for wharf.  Explore half the coastline, still no fish.   FML.  Well, it was a quicky mission to grab another heir and spend some of my swiss dosh.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10