Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: Tropico 5, coming May 23rd  (Read 14096 times)

tHe_silent_H

• Bay Watcher
  • Did you win?
    • View Profile
Re: Tropico 5, coming May 23rd
« Reply #90 on: May 25, 2014, 05:53:23 am »

no idea what we should do with mob bosses,since they do day jobs as well, no prisons to "re-educate them"... :/
Did you know that if you write 3.14 on a piece of paper and hold it in a mirror, it will say pie? And if you divide 42 by 3.14... you get 13.37!

It is incredibly satisfying to kill a man with a butterfly.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 25, 2014, 03:31:53 pm »

Well...now I'm annoyed, I have a gtx 285 and it could run pretty much everything including everyquest next landmark on directx 11 settings and yet...this game simply gives me an error saying I need a directx 11 video card :'(
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #92 on: May 25, 2014, 05:48:12 pm »

as far as I know the GTX 285 doesn't support DX11... so... that's why?

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 25, 2014, 06:10:40 pm »

no idea what we should do with mob bosses,since they do day jobs as well, no prisons to "re-educate them"... :/

I had all mob members and rebels killed.
Then the moment I hit the Cold War era, everyone suddenly revolted.

muwahahaha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 25, 2014, 08:37:25 pm »

Played for a bit, did a few campaign missions and a few sandbox games. I'm enjoying it so far, although I've had my share of issues. My 560ti runs it far better than I was expecting, it looks nice and is smooth enough. Here's my impressions:

I didn't bother with the tutorial since I've played 3 and 4 and figured I'd pick things up quickly enough and it seems like everything is pretty similar. I like the new eras and research, especially in the colonial era where you really have to balance building revolutionary support against doing the crown's bidding to extend your mandate although I do feel that everything's a bit easy. Even my first time through I never felt overly pressured by the mandate timer and usually by the time it began ticking down I was just wasting time perfecting my economy and building more guard towers.

The diplomacy stuff seems really easy as well, you have to really work at it to make a faction hate you enough to consider invading and on one run during the world wars I intentionally gave a big middle finger to the allies every chance I got but they still only invaded when I went to ally with the axis or sign the treaty at the end.

It's probably for the better though since the new combat mechanics are frustrating as all hell. Instead of giving us the ability to tell people to go somewhere you can only specify if a certain battle is 'high priority' which seems to result in most of your forces piling up at it, the main problem is that you can't choose where these battles are, you have to rely on the enemy attacking certain buildings and when they first invade they'll usually 'mark' buildings on the other side of the island resulting in your military running all the way over there. This was especially evident when the allies attacked after I tried to sign a treaty. They all made a beeline for my rum factories on the rear of my city and all of my forces (which were stationed between the enemy landing and the city) immediately started marching AWAY from the enemy toward the factories. Eventually the enemy ran into my line of overlapping guard towers which switched the battle marker from the factories to the towers. Only then could I tell my troops to go to the defensive line and fight and by the time they got there the towers were all but destroyed. Such a simple thing like being able to set a rally point would have made it all significantly better. Also from what I've seen so far tanks are useless unless you build the army base next to the enemy landing. They move incredibly slowly and seem to get stuck on everything. By the time my tanks make it to most battles they're already decided on way or the other and the tanks don't make enough of an impact to change it.

The dynasty system is... interesting. You trade out customisation for having several characters instead. I like the various events allowing you to send dynasty members on missions (one of my dynasty even died in the world wars leading axis troops during a battle). They have nice bonii and they give you a use for the swiss bank account (you spend your savings to upgrade them).

Trading is a nice addition, it's nice to pick out deals and assign ships although I would like to see the ability to import stuff without having to use a trade ship. Also for some baffling reason they neglected to add the ability to exclude goods from export. That needs to be added pronto since your Tropicans will gladly sell off all your raw materials while waiting for that factory to finish building.

It could just be me but it looks like there's some pathfinding issues going on. I regularly see teamsters doing huge loops around the city while trying to go somewhere instead of just heading straight there. I had one instance where they were all taking a path that was 2-3 times longer rather than the more direct road which they would use to come back from the destination. Also apparently there's a pretty serious bug where teamsters will get stuck in the docks and over time you'll have fewer and fewer of them on the roads. Until they fix it people have reportedly had success destroying the road to the dock and rebuilding it while others say you need to take out the docks themselves.

I haven't really had any problems with rebels, I've had exactly one rebel attack in the whole time I've been playing and that was mostly due to me holding off on building new services since I was preparing a new area of housing away from the main city. As soon as I'd finished building houses and services in the new area everyone went back to being content and I didn't even need to use the amnesty edict.

Overall I've had fun so far an I'll play some more of it but it really needs that teamster bug fixed, it cripples your economy quietly over time if you don't notice it.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #95 on: May 26, 2014, 01:52:17 am »

Banish, get $$$. I've gotten as low as $1075 and as much as ~$4k.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

muwahahaha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 26, 2014, 04:38:00 am »

Well now my enjoyment has turned into frustration thats probably gonna make me abandon this island.

I started a new sandbox game and everything was going perfectly until I hit the cold war era. I'd had no issues with public opinion or happiness and I'd cruised through the other two eras but as soon as I hit the cold war I got about 15 rebels (out of a population of 500) and naturally they decided to try and attack me.

Now the rebel groups themselves aren't a problem at all. My military is far and away stronger and I inevitably crush them once my army actually decides to go over and fight them (seriously, my tanks drive PAST rebel groups ignoring them entirely because they will only fight at buildings that are under attack). The problem comes because the rebels can rise up at any building on the island at any time. Naturally this means that some plantation out in the boonies vomits out a bunch of rebels who immediately spin 180 and torch the place before marching into my army and getting slaughtered. For some reason the game counts the destruction of ANY building during a rebel uprising as 'the rebels breaking my defenses' which results in a significant increase in rebel threat. Combine that with the fact that defeated rebels rout rather than dying and it means that they end up attack me again in a few months.

It doesn't matter what I do I can't stem the tide of constant rebel uprisings. I have approval moving between 80 and 90, average happiness about 75, all my factions are 50 or above (most are far above and militarists love me). USSR is 50 relation and US is about 80, I'm running a noticable surplus and have a sizable army but these 2 dozen rebels are crippling me and I can't seem to stop them. I've run the amnesty edict whenever it's been available and it doesn't seem to affect the rebels at all because a month later all of them will explode out of a parking garage somewhere and take down a single building resulting in a big increase in rebel threat again.

I can understand the idea behind making the rebels bolder if they succeed during an uprising but I'm crushing them with my military every time and end up paying a couple thousand to fix a single building every few months when I'm making tens of thousands in trade. The biggest fuck you is when I slaughter their squads and I see 20 individual rebels walk home right past the soldiers they were just shooting at without anyone making any attempt to stop them, and then the same 20 rebels come back three months later and fight again. Oh, and if the rebels kill one of your soldiers, he actually dies rather than calling it a day and going home like the rebels do, so if you use high school education soldiers like me, hope you have a fuckload of high school educated reserves sitting around not doing anything (like, say, working in every single factory on the island).

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 26, 2014, 11:56:56 am »

It is a very bad idea to make Tropicans pay for food and healthcare... if you don't have social security.
The kids that grow up, most of them grow up hating your guts forever.  Well, I did have some other policies that were unpopular.  (Well, I think that is the source and cause of the problem I am having.)

The main issue I am having is coups.  Most everyone signing up to play with guns and tanks... they hated my guts.  I wish there was a way to automatically filter out the haters.

Overall, from my impression, Kalypso has decided to dumb down the game, taking away some micromanagement.  Coupled with less useful detail from the Alamanc, making it harder to figure out how the budget is really working and as for the people, harder to figure out why they have such low approval rating that only ever budges with bribes(?), despite being happy and stuff.  (Very Difficult Politics setting.)

Also, religious people, they are a blight.  So many of em compared to the Militarists, all the time.

Hah, my people legitimately hate me, because I have bad policiesam a dicator.  Well, the threat for me has always been the coups.  The rebels are just minor annoyances, since I have palace +6 bases, scattered in pairs of 2.

EDIT: Oh right, I have a Tropico 4 to give away.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 01:19:54 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 27, 2014, 06:07:19 am »

In the game of Tropico you fiesta or you siesta.

Presidente Morghulis.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 27, 2014, 12:39:06 pm »

So, I think I've come to a verdict with this game....  It has the trappings of missing features, paving the way for a bunch of DLC down the line. 
It could also use some improvements, especially in the alamanc.  The people of Tropico are less trackable/more mooklike, with the addition of not being clear why their approval of you is in the gutters or even why they love you. 
Rebels with +70 approval.... Bah.  Same with uprising too I think.  (Always great to see plus 100 dead from violence after an uprising, but I'd love to see differentiation, like if they died defending El Presidente, died fighting against El Presidente.... or just collateral damage... >.> )
I'll probably pick this back up when all the DLC are out and on sale.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 27, 2014, 01:40:58 pm »

I was SO excited for this, and I played it for almost a day constantly - and then realised that the game feels like a dumbed down Tropico 4. It just doesn't feel as deep, as layered, it's almost like a pretty browser game but without the timers or microtransactions.

And what's the point of the heirs? Your starting character doesn't die during the ages, so you never - ever - need to switch to a new character. Besides having new managers, there's just no real use for them at all!

I just don't feel the replayability in the same way I enjoyed Tropico 4 over, and over, and over again.

It needs DLC like we need oxygen, I'm so disappointed. I'm just glad I didn't pay full price.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 27, 2014, 01:42:36 pm »

I'm glad it didn't start at $60 for a game that should have gone for maybe $20.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 27, 2014, 02:10:41 pm »

So they managed to dumb down Tropico 4. Wut, but that was just a dumbed down, easier version of Tropico 3.

Ok, I'm going to say thanks to my graphics card for not support Directx11.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 27, 2014, 03:18:35 pm »

Which parts feel dumbed down? It's been a while since I played it Tropico 4, but I remember it being a bit of a stroll in the park difficulty wise. 5 feels a bit more challenging across the board. The character creation feels a lot less interesting though,  but it never felt like it impacted the game that much in Tropico 4 anyway.  I'm sure they'll flesh it out with a bunch of cosmetic DLC like they did last time around.  :'(

Some of the features do feel like they were tacked on. The dynasty aspect feels like an afterthought and the military system still leaves a lot to be desired.  The era system was interesting but it felt like it was artificially slowing down my progress. A lot of the time I felt like I was putting the game on max speed and twiddling my thumbs waiting for the next era to become available. I'm hoping we get some meaty DLCs that will flesh out the game more.

The game didn't feel worth the price of admission for me. I say that because I already own Tropico 4 and while 5 introduces some new features it still feels like a minor iteration of its predecessor. It's still a fun city builder, I just wish it had added a bit more to the series.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 27, 2014, 04:54:04 pm »

Individuals are pretty dumbed down. You have for one the whole broke-poor-well off-rich-filthy rich thing instead of actual wages and pocket money, basically it seems anyone has infinite money so long as each transaction doesn't exceed their pay tier. The almanac seems to give much less information than I remember.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10