Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: Tropico 5, coming May 23rd  (Read 14124 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Tropico 5, coming May 23rd
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2014, 08:26:16 pm »

Wow, they're just popping out Tropico games these days, wasn't 4 just a couple years ago?

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2014, 08:32:09 pm »

Please tell me this game doesn't require Steam.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2014, 08:50:07 pm »

It's certainly a different game. The campaign has you choosing between two islands. One is lush and the other looks desert-like. You have to explore before you can build everywhere. You start in a colonial sort of setting with people-drawn carts for building and hauling and you're seeking your independence via revolutionary support and a constitution. You have to research upgrades, including the constitution, with a library. You can have very selective trade routes for imports and exports. A trade route influences politics. You can trade with your starting nebulous owner, pirates, or smugglers at the beginning. They want specific items up to a certain amount within a limited timeframe and they pay/charge more than the usual going rate. Your military acts as a squad. In the beginning you can have a dynasty of rulers, or just limit yourself to one, and you can't seem to guide them anywhere to make speeches.

Before I forget, and this one is pretty important, the country house is the basic housing and it has its own garden. Your people can feed themselves.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 11:06:23 pm by BigD145 »

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2014, 10:42:27 pm »

Very excited for Tropico 5. First Tropico game I'll get the girlfriend to play that isn't Tropico 2, too.

On a side note, they should remake that. Spin it off as its own side-series and keep the main series for El Presidente.

That would be a neat DLC, though I'm shooting myself in the foot by suggesting it as I rarely buy DLCs.

AHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOY! Sacre blu!

EDIT: I will be able to give Tropico 4 Steam Edition as a Steam gift on May 30th. It apparently came free with Tropico 5. Anyone who wants it post in this thread or PM (first post gets it unless someone who has done me a solid in the past posts or PMs me) and if I forget to gift it on the 30th send me an additional PM.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 10:47:50 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2014, 02:37:23 am »

Has anyone played the multiplayer yet? I'm pretty curious about that.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Xinvoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2014, 06:02:29 am »

I just found out my 9600GT doesn't support directx 11 and therefore not T5.
So depressing.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2014, 10:39:53 am »

I just found out my 9600GT doesn't support directx 11 and therefore not T5.
So depressing.

Really? What's dx11 and what's not was a huge thing back around the time that came out. Every game help forum was rife with that info.

Nachodsk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2014, 11:36:00 am »

I was thinking about playing this game until SC or Elite: Dangerous came up..

My nVidia 9800gt can't run it... thanks capitalism!

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2014, 11:40:05 am »

GT 430 is the lowest Nvidia card to support DX11...but even that is below specs

Cicero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2014, 02:12:35 pm »

It's certainly a different game. The campaign has you choosing between two islands. One is lush and the other looks desert-like. You have to explore before you can build everywhere. You start in a colonial sort of setting with people-drawn carts for building and hauling and you're seeking your independence via revolutionary support and a constitution. You have to research upgrades, including the constitution, with a library. You can have very selective trade routes for imports and exports. A trade route influences politics. You can trade with your starting nebulous owner, pirates, or smugglers at the beginning. They want specific items up to a certain amount within a limited timeframe and they pay/charge more than the usual going rate. Your military acts as a squad. In the beginning you can have a dynasty of rulers, or just limit yourself to one, and you can't seem to guide them anywhere to make speeches.

Before I forget, and this one is pretty important, the country house is the basic housing and it has its own garden. Your people can feed themselves.

This all sounds very good. I've been following the development pretty closely, it sounds like it has lived up to its promises. I'll be sure to get this when I have the money or when it goes on sale. Gardens specifically sound like a great little addition.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 10:01:38 pm by Cicero »

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2014, 02:15:19 pm »

I feel bad that my Integrated Intel HD 4000 graphics chip actually runs the game fine in comparison to all you people.
The game is nice, but Tropico always gets boring so quickly to me, there's just something about it. I made it to Modern Times and the tech stuff is definitely a good addition I think but there are problems, like how every time you reach a new era you're propelled to the right year (1914, 1946, 1991) but there are achievements based on reaching eras before certain dates...
I might play it again some time and try to never do elections, personally I wanted to stay as a royal governor for as long as possible but there's a certain point where it's basically impossible because you can't renew your mandate. I was hoping that you could use military for more useful things in this sequel but there's not really much at all.

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2014, 02:41:02 pm »

Multiplayer lobby is intermittent at the moment.
Tried to play a multiplayer game a couple times but crashed after a bit, and theirs no multiplayer save/load functions.
Tutorial was stable, havent tried the campaign yet.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2014, 03:23:13 pm »

Multiplayer lobby is intermittent at the moment.
Tried to play a multiplayer game a couple times but crashed after a bit, and theirs no multiplayer save/load functions.
Tutorial was stable, havent tried the campaign yet.

Career bounces between two islands. You do some ultimate goal on one island and then are given a choice of the other island for your next big goal. Then once you've done both islands it's reset so you have two islands available for your next goal.

Start game: two islands, pick one
Goal 2: one island, pick one
Goal 3: two islands, pick one
Goal 4: one island, pick one
etc

What you did on those two islands is saved between goals.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2014, 06:19:42 pm »

(removed some hostility)
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2014, 06:43:52 pm »

Would people say the game is worth $40, when the latest game I have is Tropico 3? I'm quite unsure on whether or not I should get it.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10