Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Tropico 5, coming May 23rd  (Read 14087 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Tropico 5, coming May 23rd
« on: August 29, 2013, 11:30:50 pm »

Well, I saw Tropico 5 on Steam today, so I figured it's about time to update the thread. I was surprised to see there wasn't much real news aside from what you can see there right now (and I haven't been able to find anyone blabbing about the closed beta). Currently, it's been announced for release on May 23rd at a $40 price point, with a 10% discount if your preorder (or 15% if you buy on Kalypso's website).

I'm curious as to the planned price of DLC- they've certainly acknowledged that there will be DLC, (it's available to preorder-ers, X-com style, if they get enough preorders). If the low price of the base game is to be made up for by DLC, well... I'm not sure what to think of that, but I guess it's better than $60 games doing the same thing.

Currently, I recommend we set wallets to "cautiously optimistic" as usual. I'm really waiting for a review of this, or some actual gameplay footage, especially regarding the new multiplayer.

Spoiler: Original Post (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 01:48:24 am by Sensei »
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
Re: Tropico 5, coming 2014
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 11:33:09 pm »

Coooooollll.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 11:34:05 pm »

*so much want*
Black lives matter.

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 12:21:33 am »

I was disappointed with Tropico 4 being Tropico 3.5 (and with no JHHHUANITO!), but Tropico 5 looks beautiful!
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 01:44:18 am »

Pffft. Sunny and Penultimo 4lyfe.

The real question is, will T5 have assloads of DLC's for $5 each? Coz if it does ohhhh boy I'm... I dunno. Something.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 02:11:03 am »

Yay it's gonna be on the 360 because my shittop wouldn't be able to run it.

Past that, I think this might be very fun. I wouldn't be surprised though if they weren't able to get it all.

Also, on the DLC thing, I didn't mind the 5 dollar DLC as all it did was add a new trait, costume and mission. Not force down your throat either. I never thought much other than 'Interesting... buuuuut not for me'

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 02:44:24 am »

I grabbed a few while they were on sale for like $1 each. You can use all the stuff in the campaign so I didn't mind.

But...

The game is $30. All the DLC's are $60. That's outrageous for not offering a service or anything but high score lists to justify needing the extra upkeep.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 04:30:33 am »

Point is, the DLC is completely useless. Can't say why anybody would bother to buy one.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 04:43:54 am »

Spoiler: Blurb Paragraph (click to show/hide)
Sounds like the ground for finally adding the bullying of neighbouring islands with your armies... in an expensive dlc.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 07:25:24 am »

Sounds very interesting. I really hope they ramp up the difficulty for the sandbox mode though. I liked Tropico 4  but was kinda bummed that a lot of the mechanics (rebels, foreign invasions) were a non issue because the game was too easy.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 08:20:56 am »

Especially if you go full military state. By the time your military is a large militia, rebels are a nonissue and as long as you ally with someone foreign invasions aren't a thing at all.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 08:37:25 am »

It isn't terribly hard to avoid rebels at all.

The major problem was the mission system. They give you money to do something that gives you money, then pay you for doing it.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2013, 09:23:33 am »

I thought the missions added a bit of objective when you are first starting out, not sure on what you will specialize in.

I mainly figured out what the majority of the missions wanted(First four last time i played) and then specialized from there, importing all the things and pretty much focusing my economy on that and some fish exports and maybe a little tourism depending on that I chose for my tourism modifier.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2013, 09:35:15 am »

It looks very pretty senor.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2013, 09:35:31 am »

ELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL PRESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNTTTTTTTTTTTTTEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10