Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Will these traps kill trolls...  (Read 1194 times)

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Will these traps kill trolls...
« on: March 02, 2008, 04:32:00 pm »

I have a setup like this EDITED

|.......|
|ssss|
|ssss|
|^^^^|
|cccc|
|^^^^|
| wall
... ground
s stone fall trap
c cage trap
^ weapon trap (each one has 2 wooden giant corkscrews)

If a troll were to enter at the bottom trying to get to the top of this hall would the traps probably kill it?

[ March 07, 2008: Message edited by: Helmaroc ]

GrimmSweeper

• Bay Watcher
  • Tome of Knowledge
    • View Profile
Re: Will these traps kill trolls...
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 04:53:00 pm »

I would suggest adding a second layer of either weapon traps or stone-fall traps, at the very least. If they march in single file then all it takes is one troll's corpse to become stuck in the weapon trap for a clear path to open, once the stone-fall trap is triggered.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 04:56:00 pm »

Corkscrews? Really? How about Menacing Spikes or Spiked Balls?
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 05:04:00 pm »

Alright, I'll add some more.

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 07:03:00 pm »

I myself am a fan of the serrated disc blades, and, when convenient, pits of upright menacing spikes.
Fikod Rulushzasit Alis Mozir, Mace Lord has grown attached to a fox

leather coat

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 12:09:00 am »

I like to just stuff 10 steel giant axe blades or steel spears into rows of weapon traps. They either cut off every limb, or turn the creature into swiss cheese. Both are messy and funny.
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 03:39:00 am »

Serrated discs will generally do more damage than axe blades, though.  The base damage is lower, but they get three hits instead of just one.  That could potentially mean three limbs in one go.

helium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 11:13:00 am »

I usally go with 10 glass discs in each trap IF the traps are outside, otherwise each little goblin will create 20 hauling jobs and/or miasma everywhere. On the inside I use cage traps which only create 1 hauling job, once the goblin is captured I simply disarm him (precious iron) and throw the cage, goblin and all, into the oven.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 05:14:00 pm »

I go for glass spikes, in upright spike traps, with a row of pressure plates in the middle of them, it needs lots of mechanisms but 0 stick chance.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 09:28:00 am »

OP-

I don't think 2 wooden corkscrews and a stone will kill a troll - I'd try to find a better material than wood (obsidian short swords, or steel/iron/bronze/copper).

As a safety net, try adding a layer of cage traps to the inside if all you have is wood. Extra layers of stone traps also work, but a blitz will get through.

Jayfrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 11:22:00 am »

personally i like going with glass serrated disks, 10 in each trap it makes a mess (my moat is now blood red from the last ambush), across the drawbridge I have a slaughter room before entering the main fortress this is filled with cage traps and hatchs with a pressure plate that drop into a drowning pool. there are also some stone traps and a few weapon traps. The one door on the otherside of them room creates a huge bottle neck in the room and paints my walls red. my barracks is also attached to that so my military mill around just one floor up so they almost always get forced into fighting.
My child got ripped to shreds by invading goblins, which caused my wife to go mad and was shot down by the town guard for attacking the brewer and they both rotted before my eyes....

But dayyumm my room looks nice

Mood: Fine

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 07:15:00 pm »

i prefear spiked balls...
they have 3 hits with 1 critical each. the raw over all damage is the second highest of all trap-components, only the discs damage is a bit higher (3*120 vs 3*100+1 crit). i think, the criticals are more deadly than the raw damage.
also, the balls do Pierce damage, so the corpse will stay in one pice, and the garbage problem caused by ambushes actualy is my major problem running the economics.
i never seen any creature surviving a 10* wooden spiked ball trap so far - 30 criticals will barely leave any organ unbroken.

to the shown the trap way layout :
you have a 4 tiles wite way. this means , you will have to buils verry much traps. it is more effectife to build narrow trapmazes to reduce the number of traps you have to build.
to keep your depod accessible, i wuld reconmend to have the wide way to the depod lock-upable by a drawbridge and a secondary was into your fort that bypasses the drawbridge but leads trough a trapmaze.
my most effective layout so far was the one shown on these screenshots: http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=11&t=001851

[ March 07, 2008: Message edited by: motorbitch ]

polpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008, 09:48:00 pm »

the best traps are dwarvern peasentrs - at least 20 mulling around will work wonders

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2008, 07:24:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by polpoint:
<STRONG>the best traps are dwarvern peasentrs - at least 20 mulling around will work wonders</STRONG>

If I hadn't experienced this first hand, I wouldn't have known what you were talking about, crazy person.

[ March 08, 2008: Message edited by: Dwarfu ]

Forumsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2008, 08:41:00 pm »

I'll second the spiked ball.  It's one of the best traps in the game and can be made directly from wood.

Menacing spikes and corkscrews are identical in weapon traps; the only difference is that screws can also make pumps and spikes can also make upright spike traps.

Spikes are good trap components but not as good as spiked balls.  In my experience 2 spiked balls have never failed to disable a troll.  I had a troll survive 3 menacing spikes once.  He was jacked up pretty bad, but he did manage to walk away from the trap.

The giant axe blade may be the only weapon that can stop a colossus.  I'm guessing here, as I've never fought a colossus, but since colossi have no critical organs to damage and repair themselves you'd want as much raw damage crammed into as small a space as possible.  That's where your giant axe blade comes in.

Of course cage traps and your military are probably better ideas for dealing with megabeasts, but if you really want to destroy a colossus with a trap the axe blade is probably the best bet.

A final idea if you don't like your traps jamming might be to go for the wound instead of the kill.  Build weapon traps with just 1 menacing spike and you'll face a horde of injured enemies with one foot already in the grave.  I enjoy watching the splatter when an enemy walks onto a trap, so I build mine to be lethal, but there's something to be said for merely inflicting injury.  Your troops gain more experience that way, too.

"Let them eat XXtroutXX!" -Troas
Pages: [1] 2