Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Moats and infotress lakes  (Read 396 times)

siprus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Moats and infotress lakes
« on: August 29, 2013, 03:25:43 pm »

How to do these things safly with very little risk of over flow. I'd love to fill my moats with some lava, not that it makes any difference, but i'd love to see that just for flavor reasons. Anyway is there way i could filling of this moat (or other under ground lakes and such) without risk of over flowing if i leave pumps on for bit too long.

Also last fortress i built underground lake next to my hospital, i was bit careless and lake got bit too full covering lot's of stuff in mud. :( Is there away to fill these kinds of lake without any risk overflow, preferably so that water pressure is 7 in every tile.

MrCactus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moats and infotress lakes
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 04:47:07 pm »

Just keep lots of floodgates along the way for safety, only makes it a bit safer though.

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 04:54:00 pm »

If you're using water, and if you have a walkable area around the "lake" or moat on the z-level above where the water should wind up, you should be able to designate a pond zone around it and have the dwarves fill it up with water, if I'm not mistaken.
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 04:59:00 pm »

Allow it to fill slowly via a diagonal opening, or have a pressure plate control the power to the pumps.

Although if your pumps are at the same level as your desired top of the moat, you don't have anything to worry about. Pumps can't pump to a higher Z level than the one they're built on. They just pump from Z-1 to Z and that's it. If however you're dealing with water that's at a higher pressure (say filling a cistern underground from a river source above ground), then you can use a sealed passageway to a pump and have it reduce the pressure to the Z level of the pump. Or you can simply have the water pass through a diagonal and reduce the pressure that way. As an example, I have a cistern that's being used to supply a couple of wells in my hospital. The layout is as follows

Code: [Select]
Z+0
+++++++
+++++++
+++++++
+++o+++
+++++++
+++++++
+++o+++
+++++++

Z-1
### ###
## # ##
#     #
#     #
#     #
#     #
#     #
#######

The water is coming in from the north at high pressure. But I eliminate that pressure by having it pass through a diagonal. I split them into two diagonals in order to keep the water flow rate reasonable, but that wasn't needed. If I hadn't use the diagonals, I would have flooded my fort.

Take a look at http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Pressure for a good simple explanation of how to handle water and magma...
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 05:00:45 pm by jcochran »