Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Unto the Rising Sun: OOC- Always Recruiting!  (Read 3044 times)

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
Re: Unto the Rising Sun: OOC- Preparing!
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2013, 01:36:59 pm »

Spoiler: Character (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: School (click to show/hide)

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2013, 02:28:15 pm »

Aaand mine:
Character
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

School

+1 to Shoot's Character
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 02:36:22 pm by thatkid »
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2013, 06:14:54 pm »

Mcclay: The character looks good to me- I'll get onto making a sheet for him.

The other part of your app... the clan is fine in principle, if somewhat sparse in description, but the names you have for them... well, they kinda suck, frankly.  :-\  You should come up with something that at least sounds Japanese; this is a helpful resource for that that I wholeheartedly recommend. EDIT: To clarify, I don't object to foreign names... just not for families, unless they're actually foreign. (and that wouldn't have affected my decision, anyway)

Also, I noticed that thatkid never explained Void points anywhere, so I'll probably get a briefing on them up in the second post sometime.

EDIT THE SECOND: Why, exactly, is your character a Ronin? Also, why is his surname completely different to that of his family?
Ronin is a wandering Samurai right? He left home to go fight evil and the other clan and shit.
Also hie surname is different because I'm an idiot.
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2013, 06:39:06 pm »

Unless I'm mistaken, Ronin are warriors without masters, which makes them either bandits or dishonorable Samurai. A wandering Samurai is a Samurai... Who wanders.

E: Any warrior with samurai-like training and birth but who does not have a master would technically fit as a Ronin. A Bushi would be someone who couldn't have been a samurai in the first place - like a peasant with a sword. I may be wrong, though. Hail?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 06:41:10 pm by Shootandrun »

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2013, 07:27:02 pm »

Ronin is a wandering Samurai right? He left home to go fight evil and the other clan and shit.
Also hie surname is different because I'm an idiot.

Noooot exactly. Ronin are clanless samurai- usually because they were disowned and cast out by their clan for some great failure, their clan was destroyed, or because of their birth- typically, being born a bastard to a peasant mother, or having two ronin parents; either way, never owing fealty to a clan in the first place.

I suppose in retrospect you'd technically be a ronin on account of running away from home at an early age, which is why you don't have any formal training... you're likely written off as dead by now, but, being your family's heir, your life could become significantly more complicated if anyone realizes who you are... a fact which you're probably not even aware of, lacking the formal education of one of your standing. So I suppose that was a mis-reading on my part; funny, since my character in Nihon Nights was in a markedly similar situation.  :P

You still haven't fixed those names, though. C'mon, man.

Filiusneox and Shootandrun: You're approved pending us finishing up your character sheets. Pretty soon I'll whip up an OP for the IC thread and some lore for the two existing clans/families, and you can start posting.
[22:59] <apotheoseGrifter> COMMIT SUDOKU ALL NIGHT LONG FUCK YEAH
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am here.
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am always here.
[18:15] <The_Gamemaster> I have always been here, and I always will be here. I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2013, 07:35:23 pm »

Yeah, I'll get to work on the names. Fucking Japanese, how does it work?

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2013, 08:54:45 pm »

I'd like to point out to prospective players that it's possible to start with holdings. Granted, running a province will eat a good bit of your experience, (villages less so) and I, if not Hail, will be very, very strict about the quality of the application for any such character. Don't want idiots starting as the head of a clan, y'know?

Also, while we don't have a LOT of clans yet, please don't be afraid to app in as a member of any existing clan or family.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 09:12:33 pm by thatkid »

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2013, 09:46:18 am »

Filiusneox, Shootandrun, thatkid: Your sheets are done, so feel free to start posting! Mcclay: Your approval is still pending you fixing up your application. We were talking about waiting for you, since you're already invested in the game... but we've got pretty much everything else finished up already, and it's been a couple days.

Also: While the game starts in Amemura, as players start to spread out, you'll be able to start in any town where other PCs have been.

I have my own character in mind as well, but priorities.  :P

ED: Mcclay, you're cleared for posting.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 01:39:06 pm by HailFire »
[18:15] <The_Gamemaster> I have always been here, and I always will be here. I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unto the Rising Sun: OOC- Always Recruiting!
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2013, 12:16:00 pm »

Allright, I made the names not foreign. They should be better now.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2013, 01:29:06 pm »

declaration of interest. Sheet may come tomorrow.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2013, 03:47:47 pm »

This hasn't quite come up yet, but I think it will probably be important eventually. I'm going to write a quick explanation on spending experience points and what exactly Insight Ranks are.

Spoiler: Insight (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Spending EXP (click to show/hide)

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2013, 03:43:42 am »

I am intersted, if there is room, but i don't realy want to download and read the rulebook, and not until my morning either.
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2013, 05:01:39 am »

I am intersted, if there is room, but i don't realy want to download and read the rulebook, and not until my morning either.
As stated in the thread title, we are always recruiting/there is always room for new players. As stated in the post directly after the OP, you don't need to have access to the rulebook. However, a lot of things, mechanically, may be a mystery without it.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2013, 10:56:13 am »

Spoiler:  Hirai Terunobu (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Hirai Family (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Mie Clan (click to show/hide)

Just note that it is very, very rude in feudal Japan to call someone his full name, in any case.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 11:07:42 pm by evilcherry »

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2013, 09:35:53 pm »

I've finally finished my own application! Don't worry, It wasn't/isn't getting in the way of updates- I'm still working on the next one, and thatkid'll be doing my rolls.  :P

Spoiler: Character (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Family (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: School (click to show/hide)

Evilcherry: Your app looks good enough to start working on your character, but you're obviously going to have to finish it before we can accept you. (Goals will help us set plot hooks for you, too!)

Finally, before I forget again: I did stick that briefing on Void points in the rules spoiler in the OP- I just forgot to mention it.  :-X
Pages: 1 [2] 3