Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: dfhack and workflow ... What does your workflow look like?  (Read 18106 times)

peridot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: dfhack and workflow ... What does your workflow look like?
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2014, 07:46:35 pm »

I take a much simpler approach. Once I no longer need to worry about running out of raw materials, I just arrange to have 5-10 spares of basically everything. So if I need to slap on a few hatch covers (say), they're on hand, and will be replaced when my dwarves get to them. Workflow is pretty good about counting only genuinely spare items, so if somebody puts on those socks, the factories know to start making more.

The tricky situations for me are things like silk clothing - it'd be nice to make it when I get some silk in from the merchants, but since workflow is insensitive to input materials, it can leave me with no silk for moods. It'd be nice to be able to tell workflow "start cooking any time there are more than 10 cookable items lying around"; putting it on infinite repeat means lots of job spam.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2014, 07:07:28 pm »

# Milling (of all sorts. Rocknuts, flour, dye)
workflow amount POWDER_MISC 10000 1000

This causes infinite sand-gathering. Where can I find these tokens? They're infuriatingly not in the wiki. POWDER_MISC/PLANT and POWDER_MISC//GRASS_WHEAT_CAVE don't work, as I get "no jobs".

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2014, 11:18:07 am »

This causes infinite sand-gathering. Where can I find these tokens? They're infuriatingly not in the wiki. POWDER_MISC/PLANT and POWDER_MISC//GRASS_WHEAT_CAVE don't work, as I get "no jobs".

For that, you need to use "job item-material". That will cause the job to use the specified material and the workflow limit will be on that exact item. Unfortunately, I haven't managed to figure out all the item materials for all the different jobs I do, but I do have a fair amount. Here they are for Querns and Millstones...

job item-material 1 GRASS_WHEAT_CAVE
job item-material 1 MUSHROOM_CUP_DIMPLE
job item-material 1 GRASS_LONGLAND
job item-material 1 POD_SWEET
job item-material 1 WEED_BLADE
job item-material 1 ROOT_HIDE
job item-material 1 SLIVER_BARB
job item-material 1 VINE_WHIP
job item-material 1 BUSH_QUARRY:SEED

Just make a mill plants job, then issue the job item-material command to specify what material to use, and finally use the workflow command to specify the limit on the desired product.
Unfortunately, I haven't figured out the item-material to use with the screw press to allow me to specify a limit on rock nut oil...  And unfortunately, it seems impossible to specify dyed cloth in any shape, form, or fashion (in an experiment I specified a dye cloth job with an item-material for the exact dye I wanted as well as another item-material for the exact cloth to be dyed... Then when I used the interface for workflow to specify a limit, I got the "can't determine item" error message..... Was rather annoyed....)

ColdBones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2014, 12:51:32 pm »

For that, you need to use "job item-material". That will cause the job to use the specified material and the workflow limit will be on that exact item. Unfortunately, I haven't managed to figure out all the item materials for all the different jobs I do, but I do have a fair amount. Here they are for Querns and Millstones...

job item-material 1 GRASS_WHEAT_CAVE
job item-material 1 MUSHROOM_CUP_DIMPLE
job item-material 1 GRASS_LONGLAND
job item-material 1 POD_SWEET
job item-material 1 WEED_BLADE
job item-material 1 ROOT_HIDE
job item-material 1 SLIVER_BARB
job item-material 1 VINE_WHIP
job item-material 1 BUSH_QUARRY:SEED

Just make a mill plants job, then issue the job item-material command to specify what material to use, and finally use the workflow command to specify the limit on the desired product.
Unfortunately, I haven't figured out the item-material to use with the screw press to allow me to specify a limit on rock nut oil...  And unfortunately, it seems impossible to specify dyed cloth in any shape, form, or fashion (in an experiment I specified a dye cloth job with an item-material for the exact dye I wanted as well as another item-material for the exact cloth to be dyed... Then when I used the interface for workflow to specify a limit, I got the "can't determine item" error message..... Was rather annoyed....)

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104015.msg3075673#msg3075673 This thread has some attempts at automating pressing, but I haven't tried them yet.  I have done some milling using the stuff under the CAVE WHEAT title in the script as a template though and its seemed to work, mostly for milling dyes.  I haven't successfully used this yet though, I often get the no job note in workflow when I input this.
Code: [Select]
workflow count DRINK//GRASS_WHEAT_CAVE 50
That's a bit off topic from the rock nuts though.

I almost always have this thread and that linked thread open and pull the commands that I need on an as-needed basis as my fort develops.

Thormgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2014, 01:18:06 pm »

can somebody point me to how to use workflow?
do you keep the script in a txt file some place and just copy/paste it into DFHAck every time you start up DF?

ColdBones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2014, 01:22:52 pm »

do you keep the script in a txt file some place and just copy/paste it into DFHAck every time you start up DF?
I've been just copy/pasting from the two threads I mentioned and then typing in others that I need.  Often my forts aren't the same, so I would have to change the values in a script, but I think I'm going to put them into a txt file to copy/paste from to make it easier. 

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2014, 01:48:22 pm »

Workflow basically has two methods of operation.
1. Command line
2. GUI

Most of the stuff you see in this thread is command line. Just simply type
  workflow help
at the spot where you launched Dwarf Fortress and you'll see plenty of what workflow can do. But I generally use the GUI by doing the following

1. In the dfhack.init file, have the following line

keybinding add Ctrl-W@dwarfmode/QueryBuilding/Some "gui/workflow"

Then when you have a job selected in a workshop, you can hit Ctrl W and get the gui to pop up. Just simply read the prompts and you're good to go. And it's quite useful for when you're not certain exactly what the identifier is for an item. For instance, to setup a limit on a clothing type to make I do the following.
1. Make a repeating job in the clothing workshop for the item being made.
2. Hit Ctrl-W to pull up the GUI
3. Hit Shift-A to add a limit
4. Optionally, hit Shit-R to set the limits
5. Hit ESC to exit the gui.

I generally use both the command line and the GUI in combination. The GUI for quick limits and the command line to tailor things. For instance, in the first posting in this thread, I have 3 limits for each clothing type. I don't do that any longer, I instead have 1 limit for any of CLOTH,SILK,YARN so it doesn't matter what type of cloth I have, I simply make as many clothing items as I need. But to do that, I setup 3 jobs for each clothing type, then use the GUI to specify a limit for just the CLOTH item. After I do that, I then use the command line and issue

workflow list-commands

to get the list of workflow limits that are active. A bit of CUT & PASTE and I soon have a text file that does an 'workflow unlimit' to get rid of all of the limit commands I specified for the cloth items and a 'workflow amount' command for each of the items I just unlimited with the modification that the 'CLOTH' part of the item description being replaced with 'CLOTH,SILK,YARN'.  Once that file is created, I then do 'script filename' to have dfhack read in the new workflow commands and limits.

ColdBones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2014, 01:58:51 pm »

Workflow basically has two methods of operation.
1. Command line
2. GUI

Most of the stuff you see in this thread is command line. Just simply type
  workflow help
at the spot where you launched Dwarf Fortress and you'll see plenty of what workflow can do. But I generally use the GUI by doing the following

1. In the dfhack.init file, have the following line

keybinding add Ctrl-W@dwarfmode/QueryBuilding/Some "gui/workflow"

Then when you have a job selected in a workshop, you can hit Ctrl W and get the gui to pop up. Just simply read the prompts and you're good to go. And it's quite useful for when you're not certain exactly what the identifier is for an item. For instance, to setup a limit on a clothing type to make I do the following.
1. Make a repeating job in the clothing workshop for the item being made.
2. Hit Ctrl-W to pull up the GUI
3. Hit Shift-A to add a limit
4. Optionally, hit Shit-R to set the limits
5. Hit ESC to exit the gui.

-snip-

Do you know if the gui works for macs?

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2014, 02:05:58 pm »

Do you know if the gui works for macs?

Honestly, I don't know. I'm using linux and since a lot of Dwarf Fortress seems Windows Centric (at least as far as modifications go), I wouldn't be surprised if the GUI works on a Mac (after all, the Mac OS is Unix based).

ColdBones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2014, 02:08:06 pm »

Honestly, I don't know. I'm using linux and since a lot of Dwarf Fortress seems Windows Centric (at least as far as modifications go), I wouldn't be surprised if the GUI works on a Mac (after all, the Mac OS is Unix based).

Well I'm going to give this a try and see.  It could make my life so much easier...

Thormgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2014, 05:48:26 pm »

so there's no way to put the workflow commands into DFinit?

ColdBones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2014, 05:50:31 pm »

so there's no way to put the workflow commands into DFinit?
I think you have to run a script from dfhack.  I think that workflow needs dfhack to run, although I'm not 100% certain.

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2014, 05:58:04 pm »

workflow is part of dfhack. So modifying dfinit won't do a thing for you as regards workflow.
But considering that you need dfhack to fix some bugs, you might as well use it. First bug that comes to mind is the one where 90% of fortress born creatures (dwarves. live stock, etc) never grow up to their full size. There's a script in dfhack to fix that little bug. Another one that comes to mind is the ability to trim the dead units list to just the "important" ones. That delays the onset of the "no more immigrants or births" bug. So if you use dfhack to alivate some bugs, you might as well use some of the other capabilities that make life so much easier when playing dwarf fortress.... And workflow is most definitely one of them. Doesn't do anything you can't already do manually. But frankly, I enjoy building and planning fortresses. I don't enjoy micro managing jobs just to maintain the fortress. (cooking, clothing, booze, etc).

Thormgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2014, 12:34:01 pm »

I use DFHack, I'm just trying to figure out how to use workflow.
copy/paste into the DFhack window doesn't work.
Keying in all that stuff sounds terrible to me.

I have no idea how to use an external script, either. :(
(There are things I love about DF, but the idea that I wind up basically programming the thing is sort of nutty.)

ColdBones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2014, 01:08:25 pm »

Well I'm going to give this a try and see.  It could make my life so much easier...
I'm using the macnewbie pack and I didn't have to change the raws, fn+alt+w brings up the in game gui.  It makes things so so so much easier!
Pages: 1 [2] 3