Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Socrates Jones: Pro Philosopher - A philosophy version of Phoenix Wright  (Read 10285 times)

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Socrates Jones: Pro Philosopher - A philosophy version of Phoenix Wright
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2013, 03:15:35 pm »

Yea I find the game weird in how you have to collect ideas to counter argument. And the way you have to ask specific questions about specific things to unlock the discussion... I don't know, it felt unnatural. For the first guy, my own counter argument would have been "there is no proof of the existence of any god", but it wasn't even an option. I had to follow a walkthrough every step of the way except for the tutorial salesmen...

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2013, 03:21:33 pm »

Yea I find the game weird in how you have to collect ideas to counter argument. And the way you have to ask specific questions about specific things to unlock the discussion... I don't know, it felt unnatural. For the first guy, my own counter argument would have been "there is no proof of the existence of any god", but it wasn't even an option. I had to follow a walkthrough every step of the way except for the tutorial salesmen...
This sort of thing was what I meant by "Standard Phoenix Wright Issues", the way the statement/response system works can sometimes feel natural, but most of the time it's just sort of awkward.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2013, 03:51:38 pm »

I found arguing against Kant rather difficult. While I could identify the logical issues of his argument early on, it took me ages to figure out just where to use the challenge button. I lost nearly all my credibility in the search to find the correct argument/response combination, even though I already had the basic idea of what that combination was.

That aside, I did enjoy the game, it's a neat, mildly thought-provoking, and comedic little piece.

That's probably the biggest issue with the whole game. It wasn't that hard to find many of the fallacies, but once you did, you would then have to play guess-the-page.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2013, 04:51:08 pm »

I could definitely agree with that, finding the fallacy is easy, but finding the specific statement that it counts for is hard. It didn't occur too often to me, but I admit there was rarely a mental thread between the fallacy and "this is the one", and was usually just more that I got lucky with my pick a few times.

Kant was also very confusing and I think he was one of the two that I got a legit loss on. (the first guy who's name I forget, and Kant)

Also yes, the Arbiter's happy face is fantastic. :P

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2013, 06:41:20 pm »

I didn't lose against anyone, and had no walkthrough.  On the other hand I did use a few pieces of data in ways that the game really didn't like, and basically got this kind of training in college.  It was still tense, though!

I dunno, I thought it was really awesome.  I liked all the shout-outs, the different personalities, and how they did a good job of clarifying each philosopher's school of thought and breaking it down into manageable chunks.  Suuuper-cool.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2013, 07:32:57 pm »

Pretty sure the aforementioned debate-against-a-computer issues have never been avoided by anybody.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2013, 08:52:00 pm »

Beat it, no deaths (only a few odd 'where do I challenge?' moments).

Go go philosophy courses in college!
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2013, 09:55:27 pm »

I'm stuck on Mill. His reasoning is similar to some of my own. Coincidence? Probably not.
Either way, I'll be brute-forcing my way to a revelation tomorrow. Tonight I need to sleep for my philosophy class in the morning. Our homework tonight was to read Euthyphro; I kid you not.

Android

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2013, 11:37:58 pm »

I found arguing against Kant rather difficult. While I could identify the logical issues of his argument early on, it took me ages to figure out just where to use the challenge button. I lost nearly all my credibility in the search to find the correct argument/response combination, even though I already had the basic idea of what that combination was.

That aside, I did enjoy the game, it's a neat, mildly thought-provoking, and comedic little piece.

Same, but with Mill instead. I enjoyed the game as well. I also really liked the music the game has.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 11:46:58 pm by Android »

Geneoce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2013, 12:04:04 am »

Just finished!

I fully endorse this product.
I don't care that the vacuum people are promising a blowjob machine in the future. I'll buy it then if they ever deliver.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2013, 09:13:27 am »

Spoiler: Final opponent (click to show/hide)
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2013, 11:22:32 am »

I would have used prime numbers but maybe I'm just boring.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2013, 11:34:42 am »

I'm stuck on Mill. His reasoning is similar to some of my own. Coincidence? Probably not.
Either way, I'll be brute-forcing my way to a revelation tomorrow. Tonight I need to sleep for my philosophy class in the morning. Our homework tonight was to read Euthyphro; I kid you not.

I only died once at the final boss, and only because fucking 'where do I challenge' thing was at work. Although I admit that it was very hard for me to fight the boss since Jones' reasoning was pretty weird for me.

Anyway, Mill assumes that happiness = not unhappiness, which is very similar to what Kant does with lying and saving a dying man (so that lying is always bad, and saving always good, and you cannot use one to achieve the other).

I'm trying not to explicitly spell that out for you here, so read spoiler if you want to know.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2013, 04:26:21 pm »

Hahahaha oh man. I'm at the Protagorus dialogue. This game is so funny. It really captures the beauty of Phoenix Wright with its own flair.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2013, 04:32:35 pm »

I must confess that I gave up and looked at a walkthrough towards the end.  I had to leave for work in a while and I already knew the answer (yay college!), I just didn't know what the game route to take.  Very good story though.  I particularly liked the part with the hypothetical world where innocent until proven guilty is not accepted.  Given the ending I'm kind of surprised that Descartes never made an appearance and my fanboy hopes of Rawls were dashed by them mentioning his name and then stopping the story before Socrates got to him.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4