Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Socrates Jones: Pro Philosopher - A philosophy version of Phoenix Wright  (Read 10286 times)

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock

Let's just get right to the link. Here.

The title really says it all, and it being a flash game the plot is straightforward to say the least. But I thought it was a really neat idea for a game, and it didn't dissapoint!

A single hint: Asking questions does not lower your life bar at all ever. Ask every question possible. There is no mechanical disadvantage to it, and having as much information as possible is obviously very helpful!

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile

I managed to beat it by doing pretty much every option I had until I won.
Needless to say, I died a few times.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock

I honestly only died once or twice not counting the final one, you can generally think through it pretty well if you take the time to read (and reread) and ask questions thoroughly.  I admit to brute forcing the last guy partially because I'd been at it for an hour and a half and partially because he just pulls a lot of "statement changed, statement added, statement removed" stuff that's easy to forget about.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile

Wat. Playing now.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile

Okay, this sounds like one of those games that is so crazy in its premise it is actually glorious. I'll definetly try this out.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile

Hmmm...

* Iceblaster bookmarks the page

Will check out later, Zombie apocalypse survival now.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile

I honestly only died once or twice not counting the final one, you can generally think through it pretty well if you take the time to read (and reread) and ask questions thoroughly.  I admit to brute forcing the last guy partially because I'd been at it for an hour and a half and partially because he just pulls a lot of "statement changed, statement added, statement removed" stuff that's easy to forget about.

I didn't die once but got real close with #4, I couldn't really find the flaws in his philosophy. The end guy was, honestly speaking, really straightforward. And #5 was serious rules lawyering.

The only thing I regret was not trying the insult challenge on every philosopher once. Great game, though, it's sneakily educative, and all I'd want from it would have been a breather bonus encounter of Socrates rhetorically demolishing an unreasonable person. More encounters with different philosophers too, perhaps? Nietzsche, Rousseau, the original Socrates?
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just played through the game. I died a few times, before I decided that it took too long and just reloaded instead. It was pretty fun trying to find flaws and fallacies in everyone's arguments, although the very last argument with the final boss took several tries to get right.

It's actually a very good education game, and it kinda makes you think about the different philosophies. It's also really funny at times, and I would really recommend playing it if you have an hour or two.
Derailing doesn't exist, derailed is the natural state of every thread.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile

Whoo, won it! But I was REALLY hoping for an argument against Nietzsche.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

But... we don't get to shout OBJECTION! here... =(
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Socrates Jones: Pro Philosopher - A philosophy version of Phoenix Wright
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 12:08:23 pm »

But... we don't get to shout OBJECTION! here... =(

We do get to shout NONSENSE!
Derailing doesn't exist, derailed is the natural state of every thread.

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 12:19:08 pm »

NEINSENSE!
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 12:44:47 pm »

Whoo, won it! But I was REALLY hoping for an argument against Nietzsche.
This, pretty much.

I thought it was pretty fun, though it suffered from the standard Phoenix Wright issues.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 01:26:16 pm »

I think that this game is actually a lesson in how it is impossible to argue with religious apologetics. And it only has one chapter.
"You can't say that because it's one of his assumptions" BUT THAT'S WHAT YOU TOLD ME TO LOOK FOR!

*grumblegrumble*

Okay nevermind I did the thing.

On a not grumpy note, I find the Arbiter's happy face very amusing.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 02:37:41 pm by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 03:04:24 pm »

I found arguing against Kant rather difficult. While I could identify the logical issues of his argument early on, it took me ages to figure out just where to use the challenge button. I lost nearly all my credibility in the search to find the correct argument/response combination, even though I already had the basic idea of what that combination was.

That aside, I did enjoy the game, it's a neat, mildly thought-provoking, and comedic little piece.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 03:06:21 pm by Myroc »
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4