Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magma Spraying Discs?  (Read 1241 times)

Vomitmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Magma Spraying Discs?
« on: August 27, 2013, 04:50:36 pm »

Just had the idea for a room, about 8x8(maybe smaller or larger, depending.) with 4 manually activated disc traps one in/near each corner, this room would be at the front of your fort, having two doors, one to the outside, one to the fort proper, with magma 'pipes' 1-2 levels above said room, which flow over and down past each traps area of effect (if you could make them extend outward from walls that is) with channels letting the magma flow downward (1-3 levels) into pools which you then have flow else where you want in your fort. In which the magma constantly flows, when you activate said disc traps they pop out and just fling magma all over the room for as long as they are active.

So say you get attacked by gobbos, they crowd into that room, you lock the door behind them, and in-front of them, then turn on the traps and watch as magma gets sprayed everywhere melting them to goo.

Just wondering if that's been thought of and/or if it would actually work.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magma Spraying Discs?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 04:56:45 pm »

I don't think DF has the physics for that just yet, but it does sound like a cool idea for a trap.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 05:21:18 pm »

You could just use floodgates and pressurised magma to make magma spraying traps. You can only pressurise magma with pumps. an enemy would stand on a pressureplate, which would open the floodgate. Magma sprays out, death to all.

Dropping minecarts into lava pools upon the use of a pressure plate might be closer as that would send up sprays of deadly magma mist. This wouldn't flood the room with magma, and would have a closer effect to that you discribed.

There are no such thing as 'disk traps'. There are serrated disks, but they are utilised in weapons traps.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Vomitmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 11:33:38 pm »

There are no such thing as 'disk traps'. There are serrated disks, but they are utilised in weapons traps.

Thats what i meant by disk* traps, just with those up against a wall and have them extend to have that happen. I get that mist is more practical, but i just like the idea of flying globs of magma splashing against the gobbos, i see it all movie like in my head for some reason.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 12:36:21 am »

The problem is that what I mean when I say "serrated disk weapon trap" is entirely different from what you mean when you say "serrated disk weapon trap."

First of all, you can't have a weapon trap be "manually activated." A "weapon trap" is a building that occupies one tile, is passable, and has from zero to ten weapons loaded. A loaded weapon can be either a military-issue weapon or a trap component. Being a building, this feature is immobile, and no further objects may overlap. When a creature enters the tile where a weapon trap is occupied, if it is a member of the entity that constructed the trap (aka a dwarf or pet) or has the TRAPAVOID token, nothing will happen. Otherwise, each weapon loaded in the trap makes an aimed attack against the creature within the trap tile.

Due to the way dwarven physics work (AKA, the game does exactly what it is programmed to do, no more and no less), the disks:

--Cannot be set to spin endlessly
--Cannot leave the tile they are built in
--Do not "fling magma"
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 01:32:51 am »

A trap is a tile that activates once stood on. Weapon traps for instance have attacks similar to a dwarves (I.E they show up in the combat log like a dwarf fought them) so no... they don't interact with the world around them.
HOWEVER. Due to a buggy technique, we discovered how to place magma in minecarts. You can fir the carts at invaders and release the magma once ot stops