Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tower Cap Forests?  (Read 638 times)

KikkyMonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tower Cap Forests?
« on: April 21, 2007, 08:54:00 am »

Do subsequent floodings of your underground forest kill the young tower caps? I have a lot of muddy ones but have never had any mature.

Thanks,
Dave

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
Re: Tower Cap Forests?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 09:52:00 am »

I'm pretty sure the answer is no.
Perhaps you've never seen a mature one because they take 3 years to mature?
But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

Ancient Whale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 02:10:00 pm »

Slartibartfast is correct. I had a tower-cap forest that I flooded every spring and after three years I had mature tower-caps. So don't worry, they won't drown.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 07:05:00 pm »

Some trees and shrubs (mostly shrubs) do die from flooding, but yes, mostly it's because it takes three years for them to grow.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

TotalPigeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 07:54:00 pm »

Shrubs have a very short life span - a couple of seasons at most. After that, they become dead shrubs. I doubt that the cave flood has any effect on a growing shrub.

GrimmSweeper

• Bay Watcher
  • Tome of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2007, 03:09:00 pm »

You're right, TotalPigeon, shrubs and trees alike just get muddy and turn brown when they get flooded. Since shrubs also turn brown when they're dead, it's easy to make the assumption that "flooding kills shrubs".