Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: now the vampires are doing it on purpose  (Read 2617 times)

norwegianwiking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
now the vampires are doing it on purpose
« on: August 27, 2013, 08:01:34 am »

So my fort is going quite well. Had a butcher stabbed by a goblin, but was very happy that my hospital worked. Then i notice my jeweler has died at some point. I burry him, and cant find the cause, but suspect vampire. Then, of course, my gemsetter also shows up drained. So now the bastard clearly has a taste for gemstone dust.

Now i just hope i can find the bloodsucker.

Put two beds in every 3x3 room, and designated each as a room. Bugger privacy, i just want witnesses for the next one.

mek42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: now the vampires are doing it on purpose
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 09:58:15 am »

Who is the next in line for best Jeweler?  Always look for motive, who stands to gain.  ;-)
"Is that the game with the blinky characters and no pictures?  Maybe you do have Asperger's." - My wife after I mentioned my excitement over the elves bringing by caravan a whole bunch of wood after my deforestation project was neglected due to a near-tantrum spiral and total loss of my initial seven and a bunch of immigrants.

Yerv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 12:23:00 pm »

Are you going to execute him? Because there are better ways of handling vampires than execution...

norwegianwiking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 02:21:08 pm »

I think execution is the way i'll go. This is a fort that looks to be going ok, and i dont want to experiment with vampires right now. My forts rarely make it very far, but this one might. Got a well in the dining hall, lots of shallow ore and both bit. coal and lignite. My military of 6 as of now are wearing iron kit ive made and steel ive traded for. So i'm going to try and make this last longer than normal.

mek42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 02:32:32 pm »

Lock him in a room and wait a few hundred years until you're ready to experiment.

If simple locking the door won't work, make him a happy bedroom.  Then outside the bedroom construct another room, but with a floodgates instead of a door and a three tile mechanism stockpile inside.   Then finish walling up the room and if you ever need to use him you can have him link his own lever and give it a pull.
"Is that the game with the blinky characters and no pictures?  Maybe you do have Asperger's." - My wife after I mentioned my excitement over the elves bringing by caravan a whole bunch of wood after my deforestation project was neglected due to a near-tantrum spiral and total loss of my initial seven and a bunch of immigrants.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 03:50:57 pm »

Two beds in one bedroom won't do.
The room-mate will be either sleeping or more likely hanging out in dinning room.
Designate meeting area there.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

norwegianwiking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 04:51:15 pm »

new problem. Gobbo siege just arrived. So i closed my gate and checked my military. But now the eejits don't want to take their turn up on the ramparts. For some reason my military just stands around in the barracks doing individual drill, instead of heading out to their "defend burrow order". Got 3 squads of 6 now, set to rotate one on, one training, one off, but for some reason they don't seem to be doing it....

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 05:07:55 pm »

You need to change the alert from active-train to being on duty.

norwegianwiking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 05:36:30 pm »

yeah i figured it out. Now if only the eejits would fire through the fortifications, but that seems to be buggered as well.

paldin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 12:15:44 am »

Depending on how many bedrooms you have, go through each and every one and cross off each dwarf from the list. That kind of feels like cheating to me though, and there are far better ways to cheat (such as engraving stones). Vampires drain dwarfs of blood, BUT a dwarf with a lot of endurance will not always be killed. A fat dwarf with a lot of blood can survive an attack. I don't remember if the attribute needs to be fat, have a large size value, have high endurance, or some combination of those; but I've seen screen caps where people showed dwarfs surviving vampire attacks.

Most natural method to find the blood suckers: if you can manage to wait out a year, the vampire will be the guy who is slow as molasses and sober. Put everyone in the military and have them do one lap around the map. You'll immediately find the vampire no problem, and only lose a couple dwarfs in the interim period.

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 03:11:46 am »

yeah i figured it out. Now if only the eejits would fire through the fortifications, but that seems to be buggered as well.

Whats their skill?
Anything below a certain skill level (10?) can only shoot through fortifications if directly adjacent.
A 1 tile wide corridor behind the fortifications solves this problem.
My son, many speak of the honor in war.
My preferred method is to wait until their back is turned, then impale them with a pike held by someone else.
Preferrably from a distance.

Grey Goo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Metallic
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 04:23:53 am »

I found my vampire quite fast. Probably because she was blaming someone who wasn't vampire. First, she got too many children. Second, too long list of skills and most important, well, everybody is alcoholic and vampires can't eat or drink. In fortress full of booze complaining about not having drink for while... well... yeah...

norwegianwiking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 04:28:41 am »

Think the problem is that my raising bridge is blocking them....meaning im the eejit, not my poor dorfs.

mek42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 05:49:54 am »

Think the problem is that my raising bridge is blocking them....meaning im the eejit, not my poor dorfs.

They ought be able to overcome our stupidity by now.  It is quite Ok to still blame them.

norwegianwiking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 01:39:48 pm »

It was my stupidity, but not the bridge. Gobbos buggered orf, but now my 180 something dorfs are eating themselves out of the mountain. Got to streamline food production now. And i found, sentenced and imprisoned the vampire. Then forbid his prison door so he wont get out ever. Or untill its !!SCIENCE!! time.
Pages: [1] 2