Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reanimated corpses in evil biomes  (Read 639 times)

SoulSkorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Reanimated corpses in evil biomes
« on: August 27, 2013, 03:36:22 am »

In an evil biome, if you have a corpse that reanimates, if you manage to kill it again using, say, blunt weapons, will it ever reanimate again?

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
Re: Reanimated corpses in evil biomes
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 04:34:39 am »

In a reanimating biome, yes.
If there are two biomes, and you kill in the non-reanimating biome a corpse reanimated in the reanimating biome, it will stay dead.
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 04:44:09 am »

Oh yes, they'll come back again and again.  If the fighting takes parts off, individual parts can come back, too.  They don't come back immediately, but it's pretty quick.

This is what's on top of my latest fortress (sealed, currently).
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You might notice, in the second picture, that there are two three partial skeletons and one severed head for Kivish Erushsholid, and that two three of the members (Mebzuthlular, Thobnanir, and Ableledos) have proven destructive enough to earn their own names as individuals.  Shit, that guy is a troublemaker.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 04:46:25 am by weenog »
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 05:21:18 am »

Actually, I noticed tadbisek, the mutilated cow corpse. I mean, man, an undead cow earned a name. That must be one death hole of a fortress

"An undead cow ate my best friend! I'm never going back there!"
-"Have you been eating the special mushrooms again?"
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 05:22:51 am by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

SoulSkorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 05:49:18 am »

Oh Kudust.

So much for my plans to make a fortress full of elite hammerdwarves to pulp the zombies with. Back to the drawing board, I guess. Thanks.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 06:11:05 am »

You could also have hammerdwarves kill the zombies, then drop them in magma/a pit.
Out of sight, out of mind.
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 01:00:57 pm »

Oh Kudust.

So much for my plans to make a fortress full of elite hammerdwarves to pulp the zombies with. Back to the drawing board, I guess. Thanks.

You can't destroy the zombies permanently with hammers, but you can certainly put them down temporarily.  While they're out, you can haul and dump them into atom smashers to get rid of them permanently.  For zombies too large for an atom smasher, you could dump them into magma, but beware: magma will not kill a zombie.   They need to go into the magma and burn away before they wake up, or you just get a fire zombie and nobody wants that.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 01:33:33 pm »

or you just get a fire zombie and nobody wants that.

I dont know, finding a way to weaponize a fire zombie as a terror weapon to set loose on the elves sounds like a fun project to me.  both undead scarry and flame+wood= bad scarry for those tree huggers.

SoulSkorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 05:34:17 pm »

Hm. They can't climb out of pits, can they? Maybe pits of infinite zombies might be the way to go.

Hm hm hm. Since you can't mark an area as a pit and then designate the corpse to go in the pit, I guess it'd have to be a retractable bridge over a pit, tagged as a dumping zone? Then you tag the zombie corpse as garbage and pull the lever once it's dumped.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 07:23:12 pm »

Hm. They can't climb out of pits, can they? Maybe pits of infinite zombies might be the way to go.

Hm hm hm. Since you can't mark an area as a pit and then designate the corpse to go in the pit, I guess it'd have to be a retractable bridge over a pit, tagged as a dumping zone? Then you tag the zombie corpse as garbage and pull the lever once it's dumped.

If a dump activity zone is next to an empty space (the activity zone is on the edge of a pit, for example), dwarfs will stand in the zone and throw trash over the side.

Put an atom smasher in your pit before you start using it.  A pit of dozens or hundreds of zombies only seems funny until your FPS goes to shit, or until dwarfs see what's in there and run away, or until Urist McClueless throws a dead flying thing in there and expects it not to get back out.

SoulSkorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 02:08:03 am »

Eeenteresting.

Maybe some lava and/or traps at the bottom is the way to go. Steel/iron traps are lavaproof, right? A chamber full of traps and lava would re-kill them, zombies-on-fire or not, and then the lava would incinerate the remains, right?

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 02:15:20 am »

Steel can withstand magma, yes.  A trap that re-kills any zombies so the magma can burn them away as inanimate objects would work.  Remember to use magma-safe material for your mechanisms, too.

Probably ought to go with lever-operated upright spears or spikes.  Weapon traps can jam on a killing blow.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 02:20:59 am »

Was about to mention that Weenog.  Yeah you'll want to setup a repeater (minecart works nicely on a loop) for upright spikes.  Should work like a charm.

Personally, I'd just pit it at a map edge in the caverns.  They wander off on their own eventually.

SoulSkorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 02:27:14 am »

I intend to expand into the caverns, though. Yes, I'm aware that's going to be very difficult. In any case, pits might be a good interim measure until I can get access to the magma. That said, I'm probably going to need the magma sooner rather than later so I can craft the weapons I'm going to need, since I can't rely on charcoal...

Hehe. This is going to be Fun.