Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Is a dwarf going to die?  (Read 2489 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Is a dwarf going to die?
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2013, 07:24:52 am »

Does bruising mean complete loss of use of whatever it is? Bruised leg muscles don't seem to have much effect.

No, that appears to only be the case with distinct internal organs.  Well, it probably just applies to body parts that have a specific function, which in this case means just lungs and the brain.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2013, 05:56:05 pm »

The serious answer is that yes, he'll be fine.  What happened is his lung was bruised, which so far as I've seen always means functional loss in DF.  Bruised lungs mean trouble breathing, and a bruised brain means it stops working and the dwarf dies.  Other organs, such as the heart and digestive organs, are optional and even if they stop working it won't matter.

Anyway, as mentioned, dwarves have two lungs.  The second lung will keep him going while the bruise on the first heals, which it will do just fine in short order without needing a doctor.  If the lung is actually damaged things are different.  I believe but cannot 100% confirm that the lung can scar and lose function permanently if it's torn apart by an attack.

The other thing to be careful about is a dwarf having both lungs bruised.  If this happens both stop working and he or she can suffocate.  If a dwarf has very fast recovery I think there's a chance they'll recover before suffocating, but some can die if that happens.
If bruises mean functional loss, what happens to skin?
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2013, 09:45:02 pm »

Nothing.  In fact, so far as I know bruises to skin and muscle don't do anything aside from cause pain.

Right now functional loss only means anything for a handful of body parts.  Right now, that's eyes (controls sight), lungs (controls breathing), the brain (required unless the creature has a tag that exempts it from needing a thought center) and the nervous tissue of the spine in a sense.  All of the other organs don't actually do anything other than serve as something that can be damaged.  Functional loss is still tracked for them, it just doesn't do anything since they don't have any function attached to them.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2013, 12:35:02 pm »

I have a cat that got injury to its lower spine.  So the thing drags itself around catching vermin.  I can't even put her out of her misery because she is a pet.  And she has had kittens twice since then.  So much for incapacity
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2013, 05:15:54 pm »

Nothing.  In fact, so far as I know bruises to skin and muscle don't do anything aside from cause pain.

Right now functional loss only means anything for a handful of body parts.  Right now, that's eyes (controls sight), lungs (controls breathing), the brain (required unless the creature has a tag that exempts it from needing a thought center) and the nervous tissue of the spine in a sense.  All of the other organs don't actually do anything other than serve as something that can be damaged.  Functional loss is still tracked for them, it just doesn't do anything since they don't have any function attached to them.
I basically intended that as a joke about what temporarily nonfunctional skin would be like.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!
Pages: 1 [2]