Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Leaked Documents: U.S. Framed Syria in Chemical Weapons Attack  (Read 8416 times)

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Leaked Documents: U.S. Framed Syria in Chemical Weapons Attack
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2013, 05:24:12 pm »

Misko25, ad hominem is really boring.

This is an interesting video about what happened in iraq, the last time. i feel like your examples and train of thought about how obama would/wouldnt want to do anything arent taking into account this recent history: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5FaMbnINwc

Motivations often arent so clear cut and the way different agencies operate is very interesting considering the pressures detailed in this documentary.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 05:28:20 pm by Mattk50 »

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2013, 06:01:51 pm »

now where's that popcorn-grabbing-go-ahead-.gif when you need one.
Anyway, microwaving popcorn as we speak.

I highly doubt that US have thrown sarin all over syria. It's possible however than the rebels used some, and/or Assad.

Remember when Obama said "Biochemical weapon use is the red line, if it's used, we'll step in."? And now the government is all "Well, there is no firm proof... Let's wait and see."? For me, they assumed that Assad wouldn't have the balls to risk international wrath by using neurotoxins and shit. And now that he did, they're all "Oh crap, we have to backpedal now.".

Nobody wants to step in and intervene in Syria. There's Russia and China backing Assad. It would be a diplomatic disaster, and when the quicksand sydrom becomes apparent, an electoral failure.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2013, 06:04:48 pm »

Misko27, ad hominem is really boring.

This is an interesting video about what happened in iraq, the last time. i feel like your examples and train of thought about how obama would/wouldnt want to do anything arent taking into account this recent history: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5FaMbnINwc

Motivations often arent so clear cut and the way different agencies operate is very interesting considering the pressures detailed in this documentary.
That is Bush. This is Obama. They have proven pretty different on the issues on military involvement. For one, the war Obama started ended already. And he pulled out of Iraq. And Bush invaded 2 countries within 3 years. That's pretty freaking different. And Syria is hugely different from Iraq. For one, we have casualties, actual use of the weapons. Politically it's insane of course, and Obama is relatively free of Oil related corruption. Oh, and anywhere near a Iraq level invasion would quite possibly lead to his impeachment. I'm serious, they are itching for any reason.

Finally, he has waited for a huge amount of time, and the uncertain, plodding manner he goes with the water testing of it implies he hasn't even decided on anything. And it's a Libya style intervention he tests for at that.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2013, 06:09:41 pm »

For /pol/, it's always HAPPENING!
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

lue

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:missing right bracket
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2013, 06:23:11 pm »

I agree with misko27. If anything, the government looked at Iraq and has decided to not be trigger-happy this time around. The only things so far from the US gov't I've heard on the matter of actually invading comes from the same part of the GOP that got Bush II to go for war, and once or twice a few months ago "anonymous leaks" from the government on the matter.

Like I said before though, my conspiratorial-nut detector went up a few points when skimming the site's "download the leak" page. I'll wait to panic.
Post not guaranteed accurate or pristine for all of time.
Sigtext. Enticing, yes? If you do not know where things I have "sigged" go, this page will explain.

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2013, 06:26:47 pm »

Misko27, ad hominem is really boring.

That is Bush. This is Obama. They have proven pretty different on the issues on military involvement. For one, the war Obama started ended already. And he pulled out of Iraq. And Bush invaded 2 countries within 3 years. That's pretty freaking different. And Syria is hugely different from Iraq. For one, we have casualties, actual use of the weapons. Politically it's insane of course, and Obama is relatively free of Oil related corruption. Oh, and anywhere near a Iraq level invasion would quite possibly lead to his impeachment. I'm serious, they are itching for any reason.

Finally, he has waited for a huge amount of time, and the uncertain, plodding manner he goes with the water testing of it implies he hasn't even decided on anything. And it's a Libya style intervention he tests for at that.

The vast majority of people involved are the same people. The same agencies, the same people advising the president on issues of national security, its mostly the same.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2013, 06:49:16 pm »

The vast majority of people involved are the same people. The same agencies, the same people advising the president on issues of national security, its mostly the same.
Even given this debatable point, the world is different, the issue is different. People remember Iraq, and they don't like what they remember.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2013, 07:07:39 pm »

Do we have any sources at all that aren't "some random nut I read about on 4chan"?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2013, 07:20:23 pm »

Gee, guess we shouldn't bother to have elections at all if we don't fire the entire civil service each time the parties change.  Too bad the elected branches of government have no ability to set policy.  What were the founding fathers thinking, making unelected bureaucrats omnipotent?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2013, 07:25:30 pm »

Wait a second, this is about those wholly fabricated emails from 7 months ago isn't it?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2013, 07:33:18 pm »

The ones that only the Daily fucking Mail was stupid enough to believe were real.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2013, 07:51:01 pm »

In case anyone is wondering what my rationale for rejecting the email is (since apparently this board got taken over by wingnuts at some point): if a company was considering accepting a major deal like that they'd have a proper meeting about it.  They wouldn't have one random mid-ranking executive send a casual email to the company founder at 3AM on Christmas Day.  And if they did they'd probably include more detail than "we're delivering a CW, they'll pay us an unspecified but large amount of money"

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2013, 08:02:22 pm »

It's /pol/, Leafsnail. Expect fast news, not necessarily accurate.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2013, 08:03:44 pm »

When it's /pol/ you shouldn't expect news at all, just extreme bigotry and internet libertarianism.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2013, 08:08:11 pm »

When it's /pol/ you shouldn't expect news at all, just extreme bigotry and internet libertarianism.
Ah, but you have to remember, there's bigotry from all sides of the spectrum. That's what makes it truly unique, and sometimes hilarious.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8