Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Nentukurist, a steel anvil  (Read 2527 times)

avdpos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Nentukurist, a steel anvil
« on: August 26, 2013, 01:52:50 pm »

He produced it!
My artifact steel anvil forth 80400! (ok, couldn´t be the first, it was made by a blacksmith)

encrusted with oval gabbro cabochons och encircled with bands of gabbro. Adorned with hanging rings of turkey bones, gabbro and menaces. Spikes of steel and gabbro.
An image of a cavespider in towercap, and a picture of a fellow dwarf that makes an artifact silver crossbow.

I like it!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Nentukurist, a steel anvil
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 05:16:35 pm »

I once had a lay pewter anvil. Pretty neat, given the limited number of materials you can usually use.

I like artifact anvils -- they're very dwarfy, and they ensure that you can never accidentally melt down your last anvil.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

sirdave79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 06:10:24 pm »

I picked platinum for an anvil ive just created. First time ive created an artifact anvil. 150000 DBs.

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 08:34:32 pm »

Now someone needs to make a lead anvil with an engraving of Acene the elf being struck down by an anvil.
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

Mokkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 02:40:33 am »

Now someone needs to make a lead anvil with an engraving of Acene the elf being struck down by an anvil.
I kind of want one whit instead of the elf, a Coyote being struck down by an anvil..

Maw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 02:44:39 am »

... thus solving the question of how the dwarven race created anvils...

... since you need an anvil to forge an anvil...

... its even better here, the holy metal steel was used for the greater glory of Armok.
The three stages of information assimilation in bay 12:
1)horror
2)curiosity
3)weaponization

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 08:56:24 am »

... thus solving the question of how the dwarven race created anvils...

... since you need an anvil to forge an anvil...

... its even better here, the holy metal steel was used for the greater glory of Armok.

No. Anvils can only be forged in a forge which requires an anvil to build, and this includes mood anvils. It doesn't require fuel, but it does require the workshop. So no origin of the first anvil here.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 08:59:42 am »

I figure they used flat rocks as an anvil. That and mould casting.

PetWolverine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 09:36:21 am »

The first anvil was an artifact anvil with an image of itself on it. The only way to make it with an image of itself would be for its creator to travel back in time from after it was created. The way to have an anvil available to make the first anvil is to travel back and time and bring the anvil with you.

But at that point, why bother creating it? So the answer is that the first anvil was never created, it simply existed in a time loop. If it was never created, it doesn't have a creator. So no dwarf gets to take credit as the mother or father of all dwarven smithing.

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFMon.exe - Get rid of DF SPAM
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 10:10:01 am »

The first anvil was an artifact anvil with an image of itself on it. The only way to make it with an image of itself would be for its creator to travel back in time from after it was created. The way to have an anvil available to make the first anvil is to travel back and time and bring the anvil with you.

But at that point, why bother creating it? So the answer is that the first anvil was never created, it simply existed in a time loop. If it was never created, it doesn't have a creator. So no dwarf gets to take credit as the mother or father of all dwarven smithing.

Your logic is flawed I'm afraid.
You can create an anvil and then engrave an image of it on itself.

paldin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 11:14:36 pm »

Not if it's an artifact anvil. Artifacts already have images and decorations. You can't add to them. (I've never tried, but I'm certain this is true)

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 12:58:29 am »

So your contention is that when creating an artifact, the images are put on it before starting on the rest of it???

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 03:00:52 am »

Why use time travel AND a stable time loop, when you can explain it using Armok/a mold?
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 04:03:33 am »

Really the answer is simple.

The 1st Dwarven Anvil was created (yes, that's it "created") by Urist McAnvil, upon finally waking up, after an iron meteor in the shape of an Anvil fell out of the sky & hit him on the head.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 02:30:49 pm »

I think it is pretty likely that the first anvil was an artifact made of bone and crafted at a craftsworkshop. I like to think it was elf bone
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?
Pages: [1] 2