Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18

Author Topic: Imperial Guard Multiplayer Game (5/5)  (Read 13730 times)

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
Re: Imperial Guard Multiplayer Game (5/5)
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2013, 03:36:40 am »

OK I surrender my suggesting things to people who know the guard better than me, but i still want my +1 option
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2013, 03:38:50 am »

Well for now let's just decide mixed or pure.

I think Mixed will win since with the house rules allowing kit from both regiment types I see no reason not to since it adds a lot of variety.
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2013, 03:39:17 am »

What about siege/drop? We could bombard the enemy with tank shells while attacking the rear with drop infantry.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2013, 03:43:18 am »

What about siege/drop? We could bombard the enemy with tank shells while attacking the rear with drop infantry.
That's not what the Siege doctrine does. It represents a shitload of infantry that dig in and stay put.

Well for now let's just decide mixed or pure.

I think Mixed will win since with the house rules allowing kit from both regiment types I see no reason not to since it adds a lot of variety.
It will likely have significant negative roleplaying effect: half your regiment doesn't get along with the other half, your officers are divided, and outsiders are unlikely to approve of a regiment that circumvents the reason for the creation of the Imperial Guard in the first place.
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

Rhyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2013, 03:43:50 am »

Ok, so it seems obvious that you're going for the mixed regiment.

Now it's time to choose the Origin of the Regiment. Possible origins are:
Hive World
Feral World
Feudal World
Fortress World
Frontier World

(Those are the ones i'm allowing).

You can also choose up to 4 different kinds of regiment (Drop troops, Hunter Killer, Line Infantry and Reconnaissance for example), but one of them has to be the Core Regiment. The Core Regiment are the most people in the regiment, and equipment not from the Core Regiment will be more difficult to replace.
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.
Dwarf Fortress doesn't mean to do it... I just can't behave sometimes so it has to correct me.
Wait, there's a player list?

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2013, 03:45:20 am »

I vote for fortress world primarily or frontier world if that isn't accepted.

This is the imperial guard, cluster fuck regiments are pretty common and thats why you have the commissar, they don't belong to any specific regiment they keep the whole lot in line.

On regiments, I vote for mechanized as the core for the tanks, maybe we'll even get a baneblade. I doubt it but I can dream and drop troopers for the shock factor and tactical flexibility. I don't mind what the other 2 slots are used for really. Some form of recon is probably a good idea.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 03:49:48 am by Patrick Hunt »
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2013, 03:52:26 am »

That's right FEAR my bolt pistol

I like fortress myself
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2013, 03:56:14 am »

This is the imperial guard, cluster fuck regiments are pretty common and thats why you have the commissar, they don't belong to any specific regiment they keep the whole lot in line.
In a literal sense, yes. Try to run, and they'll intervene. Outside of that, no, they aren't part of the chain of command and they can't dictate strategy.

On regiments, I vote for mechanized as the core for the tanks, maybe we'll even get a baneblade. I doubt it but I can dream and drop troopers for the shock factor and tactical flexibility. I don't mind what the other 2 slots are used for really. Some form of recon is probably a good idea.
Mechanised gets you Chimeras and the like, transport vehicles. If you want a Baneblade or other heavy/super-heavy tanks, you need Armoured.
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2013, 03:59:38 am »

Woops mixed them up.

I'd like Armored, Drop, Recon or Heavy Recon and then something else for a nice mix of armor, shock troops, scouts and something else.
But the 5 of us are gonna be battalion commanders or similar so it'll be mostly down to us if the regiment works together or falls apart.
Caine's law.

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2013, 04:03:59 am »

Actualy i have an idea,

We go core is Drop, with Armour, Artillery and Guerrilla

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2013, 04:12:01 am »

Hmmm, it's a weird mix. I LIKE IT!!!! Mostly because I intend to play one of the spartans of the imperial guard and they fit in Drop, Armor and Guerilla regiments.

But it gives us fire support, armored support, heavy infantry and irregulars. Everything you need to make a good offensive or defensive army.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 04:20:35 am by Patrick Hunt »
Caine's law.

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2013, 04:20:58 am »

I'm pretty sure we are playing as higher level officers, MAYBE a commisar in the mix

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2013, 04:24:54 am »

We'll be playing as battalion commanders, I asked yesterday. I'm hoping I can still play as a Stormtrooper, everything about them is awesome from the spartan style training from childhood up.
Caine's law.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2013, 06:54:26 am »

I vote for Fortress world, with an Armoured core and Artillery, Drop and Guerilla. (mostly because everyone wants them.)

That would give us two types of fighting: Armour and Artillery working together as a really heavy formation (artillery supporting armour advance and smiting everything in its way), and on the other side of the spectrum Drop and Guerilla. I'd imagine guerilla making its way through the enemy line and preparing the zone for the airdrop.

Were I an imperial officer, I'd coordinate these troops like this:
-Guerilla scout, infiltrate and prepare terrain. (Stealth gameplay!)
-Drop comes in and strike at vulnerable targets and disorganize the enemy. (Desperate standoff-wait-for-reinforcements gameplay!)
-Armour and Artillery rolls in and smack them in the face. (Big explosions-save-the-day gameplay!)

I also smell possible conflict between the armoured and the infantry sides of the regiment.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2013, 07:01:50 am »

I vote for Fortress world, with an Armoured core and Artillery, Drop and Guerilla. (mostly because everyone wants them.)

That would give us two types of fighting: Armour and Artillery working together as a really heavy formation (artillery supporting armour advance and smiting everything in its way), and on the other side of the spectrum Drop and Guerilla. I'd imagine guerilla making its way through the enemy line and preparing the zone for the airdrop.

Were I an imperial officer, I'd coordinate these troops like this:
-Guerilla scout, infiltrate and prepare terrain. (Stealth gameplay!)
-Drop comes in and strike at vulnerable targets and disorganize the enemy. (Desperate standoff-wait-for-reinforcements gameplay!)
-Armour and Artillery rolls in and smack them in the face. (Big explosions-save-the-day gameplay!)
+1

I also smell possible conflict between the armoured and the infantry sides of the regiment.

This is part of the reason we are doing it isn't it?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18