Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Newbie: everything's fine, what next?  (Read 696 times)

Aahz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Newbie: everything's fine, what next?
« on: March 02, 2008, 01:45:00 pm »

Hi,
after a few sad fortresses that ended badly, i constructed my current fortress more carefully: i have only a single entry crammed with traps, chained dogs behind a few 'strategic' doors to rip apart thieves, i have a three levels high city wall that prevents snipers etc.

Now, every thing is fine, i have plenty of space and food, lots of engravings, my caverns are full of melted gold bars and almost all of my dwarves are happy for nice meeting halls and bedrooms full of statues, containers and weapon racks.

But for some unknown reason my fortress does not develop: Only a few immigrants arrive each year. Since a few years, my population is about 100. It seems as if my fortress does not attract any more dwarwes; i haven't even seen sieges for years. What can i do in order to make my fortress more attractive?

Best, Aahz

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie: everything's fine, what next?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 01:47:00 pm »

More pretty objects should help IE more engravings, more statues, etc...

[ March 02, 2008: Message edited by: jaybud4 ]

Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 02:07:00 pm »

Export a lot of stuff. If you have to, give stuff for free to the dwarven caravan.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Aahz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 02:48:00 pm »

Narrow clothes full of blood and vomit does not count, right? ;-)
Actually, i have never exported something my dwarves created by their own hands. Maybe, this is the problem. 'exported wealth' in the status table is quite small, although my dwarves have bought and sold a lot of stuff.

Ok, i will let my dwarves produce some high quality things that are more valuable than stones and raw food, and see what happens...

Best, Ahaz

Aahz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 04:47:00 pm »

Thans for the hint with the export goods!
I let my dwarves produce a lot of expensive stuff, like platin instruments, iron crafts etc. -- and the next wave brought about 30 immigrants and an evil force of darkness that provided my smelters for years with narrow iron helmets ;-)

Best, Aahz

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 09:00:00 pm »

Immigration is calculated on wealth produced, so by making more stuff you get more immigrants. The problem is that a few items of goblin clothing go for large amounts and it becomes fairly easy to buy out the caravan with loot from dead goblins. Unfortunately, such loot doesn't count towards fortress wealth and so immigrants aren't attracted to the fortress. In short, keep producing stuff.
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

peterb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 09:33:00 pm »

I understand that producing stuff matters.  But does "selling" stuff?