Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 213

Author Topic: Evil Overlord - A suggestion Game  (Read 259810 times)

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Evil Overlord - A suggestion Game
« Reply #1590 on: October 28, 2013, 07:05:02 pm »

So you want cannon fodder to be dumb, fair enough but the others, the ones that would benefit from being able to think for themselves, like spies or guards, justify that. Plus only he is a coward, no evidence to suggest that they would all be, train them, instill loyalty in them and dispose of the coward so he can be replaced with another.
No one said we would stop making cannon fodder, but Cogs can be more than that, lets not limit our self based on our experience with one self conscious cog.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 07:29:05 pm by Cain12 »

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: October 28, 2013, 08:02:40 pm »

Whoah, hold it right there for a moment...
You seriously mean to give sentience - aka "A Soul" - to cannonfodder-troops that have proven themselves to continiously and habitualy die at the drop of a hat?! That is somewhat cruel, no?

Keep the lad
Might want to give him and his parts a little haul-over, but keep his personality intact.

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: October 28, 2013, 08:22:05 pm »

Whoah, hold it right there for a moment...
You seriously mean to give sentience - aka "A Soul" - to cannonfodder-troops that have proven themselves to continiously and habitualy die at the drop of a hat?! That is somewhat cruel, no?

Keep the lad
Might want to give him and his parts a little haul-over, but keep his personality intact.
They wouldn't be just cannon fodder, plus we send sentient creatures to death every mission without batting an eyelid, so don't go bringing morality we don't have into this.
Edit: No one said all Cogs would be sentient anyway, why give sentience to cannon fodder that needs to be fearless, just for the ones we need to be smarter.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 08:26:32 pm by Cain12 »

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: October 28, 2013, 08:32:54 pm »

They wouldn't be just cannon fodder, plus we send sentient creatures to death every mission without batting an eyelid, so don't go bringing morality we don't have into this.

I'm not.  I think normal-level cogs (not the 1 sidekick, but ... I'll call them splicogs for now.) made from the design of this 'prototype' would be greatly weaker than any of our existing cog designs, and the benefits they might 'also have' are extremely limited.  We can already send the goo girls into somewhere if we want stealth (Chemista was introduced originally with a description of how to use her that included breaking into banks secretly).

We already lose cogs faster than we can make them, with our normal playstyle.  If we make cogs that 'go hide' instead of 'tank damage', we are not strengthening our forces at all.  Those cogs won't be coming back if everyone else over them dies.  Part of the reason for those cogs is so they can die first.

What other powers does this splinter cog have, if kept as a sidekick?  We don't even know yet.  We could take him initially and temporarily as a sidekick - then later decide, ehh, he's better off as scrap, whether we want the design for splicogs or not.  We can always do that.

Don't forget, this cog's been stealing at least several of Cerulean's staff-in-progresses for some time now.  Has he been stealing other things too?  Don't we at least want to know what treasures he's hoarded?

Don't destructively ask for a bunch of pale and far weaker, less useful imitations before we know what the original's worth.  Right now we don't even know what we're asking to destroy.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 08:49:04 pm by Imp »
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: October 28, 2013, 08:39:53 pm »

Okay, how about we keep him for now and set him to doing something round the base if he refuses to go on missions.
No reason it would be weaker, least design wise, but meh if you say so.
Edit:Thanks
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 08:53:15 pm by Cain12 »

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: October 28, 2013, 08:48:02 pm »

I sure did, thanks and fixed.  What I get for rapid speed posting when I don't have time to even do that.  Back to work I dive!
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: October 28, 2013, 09:21:45 pm »

I sure did, thanks and fixed.  What I get for rapid speed posting when I don't have time to even do that.  Back to work I dive!
That was a rapid speed post? Your quick posts make me feel ashamed of my normal posts.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #1597 on: October 29, 2013, 01:16:18 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"Very well," you mutter, "Enough with the running. Now...what do I call you?"
"Splinter," the Cog beeps out. "Computing Splinter. This unit has a name. It is Splinter."
"Very well Splinter. Welcome aboard the Side-kick train," you actually hum to yourself as you watch the tiny guy give you an awkward nod. Well, you are Incognito, Tinkerer of Cogs. It was just about time you had a side-kick who reflected that anyway.

You are now in Upkeep

The next morning, you stretch and then grab the offered clothes from Splinter who apparently entered butler mode. Dressed up, you head down for breakfast.
"Dad, have you seen Lionel?" Cerulean asks you, looking into your eyes. You didn't see him, but Psysquid did tell you he burned up pretty well.

V/N Mode

Show Robes to Cerulean after telling the Truth.
Lie and then show Robes to Cerulean.

“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: October 29, 2013, 02:50:39 am »

Tell her the truth. It would be a poor father who would lie more to the bunch of emotional issues that is this girl already.

Then make a training room.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: October 29, 2013, 02:51:52 am »

Truth.

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: October 29, 2013, 03:24:18 am »

Truth.
+1, we aren't going to get that sample off her are we?

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: October 29, 2013, 03:46:17 am »

Truth.
+1, we aren't going to get that sample off her are we?
+2

Also,
[whining at the GM] But... but you said that we have 2 of every major zoo animal! What about tigers? And bisons? And we still have the rhino and the hippo whose mutagens we used for making beastmen![whining at the GM]

We do not have any animals left for drama preservation purposes, right?

Travisplo

• Bay Watcher
  • Lich with Bumps of grandeur! The Necromonsieur!
    • View Profile
Heh, I posted that as a joke. Then again, this is Bay12 and this plan is crazy enough to work...
Bump all day, bump all night, yeah this thread needs a bump alright!
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 213