Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 213

Author Topic: Evil Overlord - A suggestion Game  (Read 259434 times)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: Evil Overlord - A suggestion Game
« Reply #2745 on: December 03, 2013, 04:15:45 am »

I propose:
-Us
      - Praetorian cog
      - Splinter cog
-Lord Gamington
      - Coghuahua
-6 assault cogs, 3 of which are made of steel
-3 machinegun guardogs
- Dark knight
- Figurehead
- Cowboy succubus
- Elephant wraith
- Hammer cog
- Beastman (the dumb one who was created from an animal, not one of the kids)
+1

Also, that reverse psychology thing isn't bothering me in the slightest.

Why ? Because it may be reverse psychology or it is fake reverse psychology. Considering Shadenight knows we can see through this and is merely toying with the resulting confusion that ensues, I'd say we have no way to know how probable both outcomes are. The more we think about this, the more he wins.

Therefore, ignore his too-blatant attempts at throwing a spanner through our collective though process.

tl;dr try harder GM

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2746 on: December 03, 2013, 04:38:19 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2747 on: December 03, 2013, 04:51:58 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What ? You mean Cheerie is THE Hero, and furthermore she's an easy final boss ?

Unless you mean we're gonna get killed. BUT THAT WILL NOT HAPPEN.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 04:54:03 am by Naryar »

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2748 on: December 03, 2013, 05:04:14 am »

Well then...Time for the second Arc to finish.

You prepare your zeppelins, you prepare your troops...and you head off.
Your army is ready, shining with steel.
Your troops are prepared and ready to fight...
But unfortunately for you...
This is a Visual Novel Segment!

Your Wuffle-Cogs enter the plain area carrying the Camerathing. The first thing you notice is a mountain of corpses. There aren't only mutants however, or half-robotic freaks. There are also Heroes and soldiers, as well as half-torn tanks and crashed airplanes. It's a graveyard beyond words.
In the center of the carnage stands Cheerie. Yet she doesn't look cheerful at all. She holds a radio in her right hand, one she used to deliver her message to you probably.
You watch through the Camerathing's eye as her face lights up for a moment, before dropping down into a miserable one when she realizes you aren't present.
The Camerathing descends. You clad it and the Wuffle-cogs in silver to hide their 'Incognito' allegiance, but she doesn't even look much at it.
“In the end...” she mutters, “I never met you, did I? Silver...Incognito...I never met you again,” her shoulders tremble. “I just...I just thought you would come. At least...at least I would have died seeing you one last time.”
She shakes her head. “But you don't remember me...so you have no reason to feel pity.”
“We can talk, right?” you say through the microphone, only for a buzz of static to emerge from the camerathing's stereo.
“I am...radioactive,” she replies softly. “I don't know if you can see me...but I can't even hear your voice, Silver,” she clenches her burnt hand, while her steel-like claw grabs the ground. “You...you're probably going to ask me what happened, right?”
You look through the monitor. You can do nothing but look.
“I...I was your assigned hero. You were my side-kick. We were meant to become a Heroic duo, you know? The training was hard but...we managed it, together. We were friends...we were best friends, we were more than friends,” she looks up to the sky. “It's such a beautiful sky, isn't it?”
You don't know what to say.
“I...I tried to protect you but...I can't recall...something bad happened...when I awoke I was in this body, doing these things that...that made no sense...I tried my hardest but...I never met you, did I?”
She shakes her head. “I killed a lot of people...god, I killed a lot of innocents. I'm...I'm really a failure of a hero, ain't I?”
She drops her head further down. “So I did the only thing I could, Silver. I opened a way for you,” she looks around. “They wanted to make a trap, you know? They wanted me to bring you here, and then they'd come down with planes and bombs and kill you. I couldn't let them.”
“I'm sorry, Silver,” she whispers. “I couldn't let them win.”
You gaze through Camerathing's eyes at Cheerie's tearful face. Her burnt half is crying, even as she stands sobbing in the midst of a carnage of Heroic troops and mutant corpses. “I couldn't let him win.”
She shakes her head. “I...I am ugly, right? I am so horrible right now...”
She weeps, bringing a hand to a small lock of hair she still holds on her head, pushing it back from her face. “I can't even cheer people on now. I...I barely remember you. I can't keep myself sane enough to even...to even manage more than this...I tried, Silver. I did try. But...but there's no hope. He wanted...he wanted me to bring you out in the open but I knew you wouldn't fall for it. So I didn't do what he wanted. I placed bombs. Nuclear bombs...I placed them in all the cities. All but Brave-city. I...I'm going to blow them up, Silver. I'm going to weaken the HEROES association. I...I would have wanted to meet you before today. I would have wanted to talk with you, to speak with you, to see you in person at least once but...I understand. I understand you couldn't come in person.”
Her shoulders tremble as she speaks, giving the vibe of a terribly frail girl -albeit half machine and half burned. “I...I'm sorry for what I did. Sorry won't bring anyone back...or won't stop the bombs from going off but...I'm sorry. I just wanted to speak with you once more. In person...just before...dying...”
You bring a hand to the monitor -you don't know if it's Silver or yourself that does that, but you do.
You are too far away to reach her in time, no matter what she decides to do.
“But well...I wanted to tell you this,” Cheerie exhales. “I know you don't remember anything of your past, I know you don't remember any of the training we endured together...I know you don't remember me at all...but I love you, Silver. I always loved you.”
She looks at the Camerathing. “This...is goodbye, Silver. You won't even cry for my death, I know...but...if only you had met with me once...if only you had stopped me...but you didn't,” she smiles sadly. “And a lot of people will die because you didn't.”
She chuckles bitterly. “But because of this...you get the shot at the Heroes association, Silver...I'm giving them to you. You can do this, can't you? You can stop them. You can stop all this pain from happening again. You can stop the future generations...what little will remain of them, from suffering.”
You bang against the monitor.
You could try to get closer to Cheerie's location. At the same time if you do that, you don't know if what she's saying is a trap or not.
But if you don't try...then maybe millions will die in the nuclear blasts.

“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2749 on: December 03, 2013, 05:30:07 am »

Go forward. We haven't prepared towards this to just leave.

If Cheerie comes out of this alive, then we can use her as our second in command. We are a Control overlord, yeah ?

If she doesn't (which the situation IS looking like), well there's plenty of things to be picked up here. A battlefield IS a large amount of resources to us, right ?

Besides, if we allow the nuclear bombs to go off... far too much uncontrolled variables will appear. Yeah, we need to control that.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2750 on: December 03, 2013, 06:00:20 am »

She is lying.  Specifically about -where- the bombs are.  And about why she wants to see us there.

Confirm this with Psisquid.  Have him verify that the other cities are about to cease to exist.  Have him verify -which- ones are about to be consumed by death.

If this is difficult for him, have him work with Yellow King Spawn to do so.  The Feaster From Afar does indeed know such things.  If they both have difficulty, include the lost one, who is not present to be an opaque door against the way of the light of the path that stops at the door of the mind.  Have them include the mutant made from Nihilist sample, so that they can, will, and do indeed know.

Verify.  But it is Death that waits for us, before Cheerie.

How did the corpses get there, and the news was so calm?  How were all these planes, trains, bombs, heroes, other military, other forces, other munitions, how was this battle fought and fought secretly, without news coverage?

There's something seriously wrong.  She is radioactive because the bombs have gone off near her, at her, there.  She is death, our death, come and be killed calling.  Our answer is no

To any of you, my fellows, who wonder and doubt, reread Cheerie's words.  How long has she -ever- been able to tell what might be the truth at one time before?  She cannot even keep her lies straight, and she is non-functionally insane.  What she says to us now cannot be true.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2751 on: December 03, 2013, 06:20:20 am »

She is lying.  Specifically about -where- the bombs are.  And about why she wants to see us there.

Confirm this with Psisquid.  Have him verify that the other cities are about to cease to exist.  Have him verify -which- ones are about to be consumed by death.

If this is difficult for him, have him work with Yellow King Spawn to do so.  The Feaster From Afar does indeed know such things.  If they both have difficulty, include the lost one, who is not present to be an opaque door against the way of the light of the path that stops at the door of the mind.  Have them include the mutant made from Nihilist sample, so that they can, will, and do indeed know.

Verify.  But it is Death that waits for us, before Cheerie.

How did the corpses get there, and the news was so calm?  How were all these planes, trains, bombs, heroes, other military, other forces, other munitions, how was this battle fought and fought secretly, without news coverage?

There's something seriously wrong.  She is radioactive because the bombs have gone off near her, at her, there.  She is death, our death, come and be killed calling.  Our answer is no

To any of you, my fellows, who wonder and doubt, reread Cheerie's words.  How long has she -ever- been able to tell what might be the truth at one time before?  She cannot even keep her lies straight, and she is non-functionally insane.  What she says to us now cannot be true.

Fair point about her lying, but the layout's not OK for me to believe Cheerie blowed up a few nuclear bombs here.

Nukes vitrify things that they explode on, on a 1-mile radius. Then they blow up and burn via thermal radiation, then only they can irradiate with any meaningful chance of survival.

Unless she exploded four nukes surrounding her in a radius of a few miles, SURVIVED that (!), and then made a pile of the things. But it's almost as unlikely as the Overlord suddenly allying with HEROES.

Also, no giant circles of half-molten slag or and such.

But yeah, I've been too trusting. Read up Cheerie's
“This...is goodbye, Silver. You won't even cry for my death, I know...but...if only you had met with me once...if only you had stopped me...but you didn't,” she smiles sadly. “And a lot of people will die because you didn't.”

Yup, if she's that insane we should maybe NOT approach her.

Hell, just kill her on the stop to be safe.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2752 on: December 03, 2013, 06:31:07 am »

There could be nukes in those other cities.  There is death in Cheerie's reaction to us.  It may not be a radioactive death.  It may not even kill us, it might only be wow close.

I don't want even that wow close.  I just say no to our death.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2753 on: December 03, 2013, 06:31:24 am »

She stole the Plutonium from an active, and not all that save, nuclear power plant. Doubt the bombs would be manufactured on OSHA compliant conditions either. Additionally, she doesn't appear to be suffering from accute radiation disease, which kinda makes it unlikely that she got a dose from a bomb. (Nuclear warheads release lots of radiation at once, before fading into negliblity.)

Additionally, the effects if nuclear weaponry are very easy to recognize. They don't leave mountains of corpses, or any corpses at all.

On a side note, there are few other locations for a nuclear weapon to go off. Our lair, sadly, is one of them.

Other side note, it might be better to disembark, or at least assure that everyone has a parachute. Airships react very,very badly to nuclear blasts. The airblast can destroy one far beyond the lethality range for a human on the ground.

Anyway, there's not much we can do, nuclear explosives often use timers. Only thing we can try is see if we can intercept the detonation signal*. Either it's a positive signal (warhead detonates when the signal stops) or an active signal (warhead detonates when the signal starts). We should try listening for a first, and if we don't find it, jam all radio frequencies. If we do find it, replicate it.

*The fact that us approaching her would have an effect on wherether or not the bombs detonate implies that they're remotely detonated.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2754 on: December 03, 2013, 06:34:39 am »

Information that doesn't make any sense:
a) No news. Hell, if the HEROES knew about this, wouldn't they try to televise the death of the Overlord? Or would they try to conceal the fact that they are working with a mass murderer?
b) She seems too... sane to be Cheerie
c) Why did she put bombs in every city except in the one we are meeting? She expected to die anyway.

Also:
She knows that the Overlord is the former THE HERO. She also claimed to be planning to ambush us along with them. Tha means that the HEROES asociation already knows who we are.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2755 on: December 03, 2013, 06:53:09 am »

1) They might have tried to stop her. I mean, nuclear warheads and all that.
2) Critical brainwashing failure. I mean, HEROES specializes in brainwashing, and she know sounds more like a former hero than before.
3) Brave city is the location of HEROES. Hard to defeat something if it's merely ashes.
4) I think we knew that they knew for a long time?

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2756 on: December 03, 2013, 07:01:42 am »

Get away.  Cut and run.  tell those in our lair, get to the ship, sail away.  We fly away towards them.  Even if this part of the world is lost, there's a much larger world out there.

I'm only half joking.  This is only half my own personal fears of radiation and inescapable slow death speaking.  But wouldn't it be nice to pack up what we can (and if possible, come back for the too-big stuff like Mr. Volcano) and just.... get away and go where the story doesn't include Happy Rads(TM) that Make Everyone Glow and Rot?

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2757 on: December 03, 2013, 07:10:00 am »

I... I dunno what to do here. Can we send our cogs to try and get her out while we flee?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2758 on: December 03, 2013, 07:20:36 am »

Get away.  Cut and run.  tell those in our lair, get to the ship, sail away.  We fly away towards them.  Even if this part of the world is lost, there's a much larger world out there.

I'm only half joking.  This is only half my own personal fears of radiation and inescapable slow death speaking.  But wouldn't it be nice to pack up what we can (and if possible, come back for the too-big stuff like Mr. Volcano) and just.... get away and go where the story doesn't include Happy Rads(TM) that Make Everyone Glow and Rot?
Radiation is not that dangerous. And certainly not the radiation of a nuclear warhead. (Unless it's a dirty bomb, but that one isn't a real nuke). The real problem with airships and nukes is that the airblast tears them apart.

Also, water halves radiation about every cm. It's a very nice place to be when the bombs go off.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2759 on: December 03, 2013, 07:25:16 am »

This is a seriously uncertain situation.

If she is lying, then this is a trap designed to kill us, with radiation or something.

However, if she's not lying then this has the potential to completely fuck up the majoity of the world and leave the rest a radioactive wasteland.

I'd say the potential for destruction on the off chance that she is not lying outweighs the danger for Incognito if there is still an ambush. We should tell her that we will come and see her in person soon and that she should wait until we can show her our face.

As Ebbor said, try to jam the bomb detonating signals.

P.S. I told you it was goddamn downkeep!

EDIT: And even if we get irradiated, we can always replace our damaged tissues with steel, Gamington-style. But that's assuming that she is radioactive enough to seriously threaten us, which she most certainly isn't. And besides, having a tremendous quantity of Heroes killed just to set up an ambush is too much even for the Mechanist. Most likely, Cheerie has completely flipped and threw a wrench in the Heroes' plans.

Tell her that we'll come and do so.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 07:30:34 am by Knit tie »
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 213