Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf bitten by werebeast remains uncursed  (Read 646 times)

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
Dwarf bitten by werebeast remains uncursed
« on: August 24, 2013, 07:47:37 pm »

My current fortress, Syrupurns, recently experienced a violent werebeast attack. The creature in question, a goblin werepanther (awesome!) tore apart two children and a woodcutter before setting upon a nearby ranger, Erush Boatswipe, who happened to be firing upon it. The werepanther landed a solid bite on Erush's right lower leg and shook it around a bit before my captain of the guard (a legendary miner) did it in:

That happened in late winter. It's currently late summer in the next year (the human caravan just arrived), but Erush has yet to shapeshift into a werepanther herself. I'm positive that Erush was, in fact, the dwarf who was bitten, as evidenced by her profile which I screencapped immediately after the attack:

Is this a bug? Does a werecurse not transmit via biting 100% of the time?
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf bitten by werebeast remains uncursed
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 08:59:43 pm »

The initial bite didn't pierce the leather trousers, as shown in the combat report, so only bruising was done and no curse transmission happened. The shaking, which did draw blood, is tensile type damage and was not done by the teeth, per se, so no curse transmission happened.

DrTaco

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_RATIONAL_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 09:26:44 pm »

It's only a flesh wound!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 09:28:32 pm by DrTaco »
"I'm just so FUCKIN' HAPPY!"
*throws chair across the room*

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 10:04:00 pm »

Don't they have to inject their venom, not merely bite?
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 01:12:19 am »

The initial bite didn't pierce the leather trousers, as shown in the combat report, so only bruising was done and no curse transmission happened. The shaking, which did draw blood, is tensile type damage and was not done by the teeth, per se, so no curse transmission happened.

That explains things nicely, thank you.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.