Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14

Author Topic: Roll To Investigate - Post Mortem, and Explanation of Events  (Read 18358 times)

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
Re: Roll To Investigate - Brand New Day
« Reply #135 on: September 08, 2013, 12:41:52 pm »

(( The words, THE WORDS!!!!! They blur together!!!! ))

((lol sorry, need moar line breaks?))
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 08, 2013, 12:44:10 pm »

Ops meant to do that as IC, I'm a thief not a nerd. This is more reading then he's done in the last 6 months.
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 08, 2013, 01:14:53 pm »

Go to the local library and look up information about the house. Also look into information about the dagger I saw

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 09, 2013, 01:28:16 am »

See if I can acquire some lockpicks.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #139 on: September 09, 2013, 10:16:34 am »

Town clerk first, library afterwards.

Basic information about property ownership is a matter of public record. Unfortunately the town clerk's office is even busier and less organized than usual. Apparently someone lost some files, and there's a couple of angry citizens in front of you raising hell about it. The wait to speak to a staff member and then for them to find and copy the information you seek is excruciating. It's nearly midday by the time you finish and head toward the library.

(( The words, THE WORDS!!!!! They blur together!!!! ))

More reading.

((lol I'm sure IC you can show your notes and/or the volumes to Fortesque when you're done. He's a University type guy, he probably even LIKES words!))

You spend several more hours deep in this Corbitt guy's life. You've known people like him before. The kind of guys who don't bluster, they just always look like they're trying to decide if they need to knife you or not. Ruthless is the word. It's getting rather unsettling since you have reason to believe the crazy magic stuff he writes about isn't all bunk.

You note down the following passages that seem particularly important:

Go to the local library and look up information about the house. Also look into information about the dagger I saw

The city library is of more than respectable size and has an extensive archive section that includes records of old news stories. After considerable searching you dig up a very early mention of the house.

Spoiler: Newspaper Clipping (click to show/hide)

There may be more to find, but you take a break from the tedious search and try to learn about daggers. This proves to be a much easier task.

Your impression was that it was quite old and of European style. You inquire about antique weapons and are directed to some books on the subject, some of which are illustrated. After while you find a full color plate showing a similar weapon. It is of Spanish design from the 1600's. The caption notes that such weapons often had blades of cast iron rather than forged steel. You can't really be sure though without having the knife in hand to examine.

See if I can acquire some lockpicks.

(3) Lock-picks prove difficult to acquire. Maybe your friend Harvey Jones has some or could help with this. You could go visit him.

((A basic locksmithing kit is $15 and not a common item in stores. Some of the items might be available on the street from shady characters, but you need to know who to ask. Also we unfortunately just established that you're cash poor at the moment. Harvey has 'burglars tools' or something like that listed on his char sheet though.))
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 09, 2013, 10:29:16 am »

Go to the library and rent all books on " The granter of secrets and Rigor vitae " that mention them even vaguely. Read them when I get home."
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll To Investigate - A Wild Backstory Appeared!
« Reply #141 on: September 09, 2013, 01:49:33 pm »

"Hmm, I wonder."

Look up any information about Andrew Webber and Walter Corbitt.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 09, 2013, 01:58:06 pm »

Find a place for Cheddar to stay the day in safety and head back to the house.

((I don't really think I'm going to find out anything outside of it, but I want Cheddar out of the line of fire.))
The Derail Thread

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 09, 2013, 02:14:08 pm »

Look up information on the LeDeux family - dates of birth and death, with details on the latter. They seemed to have owned the house for quite a long time. If nothing interesting is unearthed, seek information on the other owners, like Mr. Jones, for instance.

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #144 on: September 09, 2013, 03:31:11 pm »

Go to the library and rent all books on " The granter of secrets and Rigor vitae " that mention them even vaguely. Read them when I get home."

((This is not a simple task in the 1920's long before computerized keyword searches. You've got lists of books by title, author and category, that's it.))

"Rigor Vitae" does not appear in the card catalog.
"Granter of Secrets" is similarly disappointing.
The individual words turn up nothing that looks likely to be relevant.

Some general books on religion and the occult might help. You check out a few.

Latin phrases are a dime a dozen in this subject, but you don't see "Rigor Vitae" specifically. The Granter of Secrets is difficult to pin down. Stories of gods, demons and otherworldly beings imparting knowledge are quite common from Prometheus onward. It's possible that Corbitt invented it as a descriptive title for the thing he claims to have contacted. It isn't necessarily a widespread term for a specific being.

It's now late in the day and begining to get dark.

((You do have one volume of diary left btw, it was a 3 book set.))

"Hmm, I wonder."

Look up any information about Andrew Webber and Walter Corbitt.

You find an obituary for Webber dated 1848, he apparently was cared for by his children after he fell ill and lived with them for some time after he was forced to sell his house.

You also find another story mentioning Corbitt:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Find a place for Cheddar to stay the day in safety and head back to the house.

((I don't really think I'm going to find out anything outside of it, but I want Cheddar out of the line of fire.))

The friendly grocer, by the name of Jim Eardley, who was nice enough to feed Cheddar, agrees to let you leave him in his back room. He says he closes at 7:30 so he hopes you'll pick him up before then or wait till morning.

You then walk back to 20 Copp's Hill. There's little activity in the neighborhood. Most of the old homes that once stood here now replaced with modern office buildings, which themselves have an empty look about them, as if they too will soon have to be replaced. Occasionally an old building hasn't been replaced at all but instead lies in ruins. An ancient newspaper vendor tending his stall is one of the few people you see. Apparently either there is occasional traffic from the office workers or he's too old and set in his ways to move. It's a rather depressing neighborhood. Even the modern parts of it have an air of ancient decay.

It's late afternoon, but you have a fair amount of light left.

Look up information on the LeDeux family - dates of birth and death, with details on the latter. They seemed to have owned the house for quite a long time. If nothing interesting is unearthed, seek information on the other owners, like Mr. Jones, for instance.

You find records of the death of Mr and Mrs LeDeux, both from about 1890 and listed as "death by misadventure."
Neither of them appears to have local birth records, so they were apparently immigrants to the city, or perhaps the country.

There do not seem to be any death notices for any Jones associated with that address in the general time period. Though you do find mention of a son born to a Mr and Mrs Jones living at 20 Copp's hill in 1910.

It's getting on toward evening and the staff is looking like they want to close.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 09, 2013, 03:34:17 pm »

Go and sleep. Wake up early tomorrow, and continue research on the Jones family - well, the particular Jones family who lived in the house. Any records of their activities or origins?

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 09, 2013, 03:34:32 pm »

Read the final diary.
Caine's law.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 09, 2013, 03:36:21 pm »

Talk to the newspaper guy, see if he knows anything about the house or it's past residents.
The Derail Thread

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 09, 2013, 04:30:05 pm »

Look up information about court cases involving corbitt

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #149 on: September 09, 2013, 06:43:43 pm »

Talk to the newspaper guy, see if he knows anything about the house or it's past residents.

You stop and talk with the old man, his stall is set up down the street from number 20, almost within sight of the house. He's a friendly soul and it doesn't take much to set him going on the subject. His name is Jim Eardley.

"Oh sure I' been here for longer than you've been alive i reakon. I know the neighborhood well."

"Many's the change there's been. Buisness taint what it use't'be but tis enough for my declinin yearhs."

Funny thing tho that old Corbitt place, thas what we called it when I was yer age, ain't hardly changed at all like. Families move in, but ain't hardly none of em as stay long it seems. They leave and the house, well it stays of course."

"There's been some bad business there sure enough though I don't know the right of it all. Some in the past but recently too."

"Not but a year ago it was, poor Mr Macario went plumb out of his mind."
Jim gestures up and down the street, "Ran right past here he did, wearing nothing but his breaches, covered in blood, screaming as if the very Divel himself was after him."

"From what I hear that's more o less what he though too. The police later found him in a butcher shop, clutchin a knife, hiding in a corner an sobbing like a child. He wouldn't be taken back to his ta' house he said, no way no how. 'The man with the burning eyes will get me' he said."

Jim pauses and shakes his head. "He was a good man, not one for the drink neither, steady as you like. But he ain't the first to take a turn for the werse in that there house."

Then he looks at his watch, "Well sir, it's been a pleasure, but I've got to close up, likely done all the business I will today, I like ta get home before dark and these old legs are slower than they use t'be."

You've talked with him for some time now and it is indeed getting dark.

((Unless you want to conduct night operations I'm going to move everyone to the next morning. We can assume you head back home for the night and have you next action be on Wed morning if that's ok.))
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 11:35:43 pm by Joben »

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14