Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14

Author Topic: Roll To Investigate - Post Mortem, and Explanation of Events  (Read 18402 times)

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
Re: Roll To Investigate - Lovecraftian Horror - The Setup
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2013, 01:15:45 pm »

Continue searching.

You spend the next several minutes searching the room. (3) You find a folding pocket knife in one of the boxes (1d4 Damage). There isn't much else in the boxes or piles of junk that seems of any value or interest.

Finally you work your way to an old cabinet on the far wall. You can't open the doors because someone has nailed a board across them.

Ignore the 4th second floor room, looks like a bathroom, check room 3 on the second floor.

You open the first door in the hallway and walk into the room. Along the wall near the door there is metal bed frame with bare springs, but no mattress or linens. There is an old dresser up against another wall to the left. A window looks out over the side yard.

You hear a scratching sound from the window.

Ah well, sometimes you just need to be adventurous, non?

Open the bolt, enter the basement. Look around, possibly turn on some light

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You unfasten all the locks and open the door. There are stairs leading to a dark basement. You try a light switch near the head of the stairs. Nothing happens. (Idea 2) Your character is non-plussed for the moment. Do you wish to descend into darkness?

Make sure windows are unlatched and open in living room to provide ventilation and such, proceed to dining room and remove nails from those windows as well, unlatching and opening the windows if successful.

Spoiler: Boganski's status (click to show/hide)

You unlatch the windows and open them to air out the place. Then you go to the dining room and repeat this operation (5) it goes very smoothly. All the windows in the dining and living room are now open.

You haven't examined anything, but you notice that the dining room has a sideboard, chairs and a large wooden table with some things on it.
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
  • I wanna be a cow boy babey
    • View Profile
Re: Roll To Investigate - Inspecting THE HELL out of grape arbors
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2013, 01:42:03 pm »

((Hm. Looks interesting. I'm in for the Waitlist.

Name: Alexi Pratston
Description: Just out of College, Alexi, having studied an extra two years, has already been accepted into the local police academy as a rookie, and has been assigned to tag along with the investigators assigned to the actual investigating. She doesn't care that she's just tagging along for now. I mean, it's experience, right? Either way, she's a generally excitable girl, and nobody has ever seen her angry. She's fairly average in all aspects, except for the very...oddly coloured hair of hers. It's done in an alternating pattern of brown, black, and blonde.
Hit points: 13/13
Sanity: 50
Inventory: Standard issue pistol, pocket copy of the Gideon Bible, and her police Shield and Badge.

))

Sure you're on the wait list. Interesting character, a female police officer in 1920 is still unusual. The first one ever in the United States was only hired 10 years ago in Los Angeles. But the concept was catching on fairly quickly.

((Well, I'm Canadian, and really don't know much about the US, let alone the state of its police force.))
Hey, don't forget about research boy sitting right here!

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
Re: Roll To Investigate - Exploring the House
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2013, 01:44:19 pm »

Hmm, can't very well investigate without being able to see anything, eh?

He shouts "Hey, do any of you guys have a flashlight I can borrow?"

Accept flashlight if offered one, otherwise use matches. investigate the basement. If using matches, look around the basement for a more permanent lightsource
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 03:07:14 pm by Pancaek »

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2013, 03:00:39 pm »

Sure you're on the wait list. Interesting character, a female police officer in 1920 is still unusual. The first one ever in the United States was only hired 10 years ago in Los Angeles. But the concept was catching on fairly quickly.

((Well, I'm Canadian, and really don't know much about the US, let alone the state of its police force.))

((Oh that's fine. I'm not going deep historical sim here so don't worry about it much. I don't even really want to do the research. I just figured I would point out that your character's proffesion is still something of a novelty for women at the time.

There's a story about Alice Stebbins Wells, one of the first in the USA. In 1910 on her first day on the job she showed her badge to a bus driver. He accused her of misusing what was obviously to him her husband's badge. He just couldn't wrap his brain around the concept that she was a female officer. To circumvent this problem the department promptly issued her a special badge clearly marked as "Policewoman's Badge Number One"))

Find something to get some light, then investigate the basement

That's a little too open ended.

Do you want to search somewhere specific?
Try to do the job a few seconds at a time with matches? (probably everyone carries them in this era)
Ask a friend if they have a flashlight? OOC at least Jones the thug specified one in his list IIRC, and Boganski the repairman might have one in his toolbox (luck roll)
Fourth option I haven't thought of?

Otherwise this is going to be like an old text adventure.

>Get light
There is no light to get
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2013, 03:02:28 pm »

((Right, sorry about that, editing post.))

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2013, 03:05:50 pm »

Jam the pocket knife in and lever the boards off.
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2013, 10:18:59 pm »

Get my trick cards out, and approach the window.

Spoiler: Character (click to show/hide)
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
Re: Roll To Investigate - Lets Split Up Gang!
« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2013, 09:45:08 pm »

((Got you three's actions written out. Just waiting on Harry.

Also, mastahcheese...I love you man.))

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
Re: Roll To Investigate - We have San Loss
« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2013, 10:20:24 pm »

((Actually we don't need to wait for that. Harry Baldman's character has been doing something for the last few minutes, keeping Boganski in sync with everyone time-wise. This isn't because he hasn't posted yet. It's not a punishment or anything it just really WORKS...))

Quote from: Harry

((GM Rolls some dice and grins. 6))

Boganski is confused, and then instantly vomits.

Somehow you left the windows you were working on and are now seated at the table. You do not remember sitting down. You certainly do not remember starting to eat from the tureen of putrefied soup that was on the table. But even as your awareness returned you were placing a spoonful of it in your mouth. The taste and smell is horrible. After a few minutes the nausea diminishes, but your confusion and horror grow. Why did you do that? Why would ANYONE do that?

San Check 72 vs 50. Fail. 1d3. You lose 1 Sanity

(Listen 1) ...

He shouts "Hey, do any of you guys have a flashlight I can borrow?"

Accept flashlight if offered one, otherwise use matches. investigate the basement. If using matches, look around the basement for a more permanent lightsource

No one replies, you shrug and head down yourself. What's the worst that could happen?

You go down the stairs, they are in terrible shape. (2) They shake and creak ominously under your feet but you make it down without mishap. You pause a the bottom in the pool of light from the stairway and strike a match.

((Rather than tracking individual matches we're gonna roll for 1d6 for Luck. If you get a 1 that was your last match on hand.))

(Luck 6) (Spot 5) You get a pretty good view in the brief flickering light of the match. You're in a basement, it's not extremely large but you can barely make out the walls in the dim light. It's L shaped rather than rectangular. Dividing walls separate off a smaller room from the larger one. The door to this second area is near the stairs.

((We'll call the larger L shaped room B1, the smaller is B2))

There seems to be the normal assortment of goods and junk found in a basement. Some boxes and barrels, some smaller items stacked on shelves. Nothing impresses you as alarming or unusual. You look up and see some light bulbs fixtures hanging from the ceiling. Then the match goes out.

(Listen 4) From somewhere above you in the house you hear some sort of crashing noise.

Jam the pocket knife in and lever the boards off.

You open the pocket knife, slip the blade between the cabinet and the board and lever outward. (1) The thin blade snaps and you cut your hand.

(Listen 3) There are some loud noises from elsewhere in the house. Maybe upstairs. It's hard to tell.

-1 HP

Pocket knife destroyed.
((Easy come easy go...))

Get my trick cards out, and approach the window.

Spoiler: Character (click to show/hide)

You take out your cards and walk up to the window.

After approaching the window you are startled by sudden noise behind you in the room. It sounds like the door slamming and something heavy scraping across the floor. You turn quickly but barely get an impression of movement before you are struck heavily by something large. You are knocked through the window amidst a cascade of glass and wood splinters.

The upper floor is smaller than the ground floor and you find yourself tumbling along the short section of sloping roof over the dining room. With amazing agility you get your arms and legs planted and halt your tumble just short of the edge. Even more amazingly you didn't drop your trick deck of cards while doing so.

However you do realize that you are no longer holding your rabbit cage. In a flash you realize that you dropped it as you were struck.

-4 HP

Rabbit and cage no longer carried.

(?? rolls 5. You rolled 3 to detect the attack coming, and basically got surprised. You rolled a 6 to arrest your fall before going off the edge. Damage 1d4 for the blow, 1d4 for slamming through the window, 1d6 averted by not falling off the roof. Total rolled = 4. Sanity check because what the heck just happened: 16 vs 50. You keep your head in the face of the inexplicable)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 10:38:21 pm by Joben »

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Re: Roll To Investigate - We Have San Loss
« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2013, 10:30:45 pm »

Scramble back up the roof after my rabbit!

"Cheddar! Someone's got my little Cheddar! Help!"
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 29, 2013, 12:10:33 am »

((Ah, timezones. Gotta love them.))

Boganski found the soup most unpalatable. Hm. It must have been pretty good at some point, but now, it was but a menace to society. Better rid the house of it before it ensorcels any other poor individual doing honest work.

Pour the soup out the open window. It's not very good. Move on to the kitchen and do the same for any other food that can be found. If I have time, remove nails from the window in the kitchen as well. Unlatch and open window at that.

EDIT: I'll be gone from tomorrow until September 1st, so I thought I'd produce some standing orders - first priority, remove nails from all downstairs windows. Secondly, get rid of any old food, moldy crap and so forth on the first floor. If I observe something horrible, continue working. If something horrible assaults me, leave house through either the windows or the door and consider next move. If somebody from the ranks of my fellow investigators-renovators asks for my help with anything, assist to the best of my ability.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 05:32:14 am by Harry Baldman »

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 29, 2013, 06:16:22 am »

"well, that didnt sound good. I need to get a better light source anyway. "

Grab hold of revolver, but do not pull it out yet. Move back upstairs and look for the source of the noise

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 29, 2013, 09:29:04 am »

Pull off the boards.
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #58 on: August 29, 2013, 10:51:48 am »

((Ah, timezones. Gotta love them.))

Boganski found the soup most unpalatable. Hm. It must have been pretty good at some point, but now, it was but a menace to society. Better rid the house of it before it ensorcels any other poor individual doing honest work.

Pour the soup out the open window. It's not very good. Move on to the kitchen and do the same for any other food that can be found. If I have time, remove nails from the window in the kitchen as well. Unlatch and open window at that.

EDIT: I'll be gone from tomorrow until September 1st, so I thought I'd produce some standing orders - first priority, remove nails from all downstairs windows. Secondly, get rid of any old food, moldy crap and so forth on the first floor. If I observe something horrible, continue working. If something horrible assaults me, leave house through either the windows or the door and consider next move. If somebody from the ranks of my fellow investigators-renovators asks for my help with anything, assist to the best of my ability.

((Ok, I can do that. I'll follow this pattern bit by bit in step with the other folks.))

You toss the remains of the terrible old soup out the window and proceed to the kitchen.

(Search 5) The expected appliances are in evidence. There is an old fashioned wood burning stove with an oven compartment. Apparently the place has not yet been updated to gas. There is also an icebox in one corner. The expected plates, pots, pans etc are stacked on shelves. A few are in the sink.

You examine the larder. There are some canned soups and meats, and some rice and baking supplies sealed in tins. The perishable and unprotected foodstuffs that were there appear to have been eaten by rats. Their droppings and gnaw marks are in evidence.

The house's fusebox is here in a corner, tastefully painted to match the walls.

Scramble back up the roof after my rabbit!

"Cheddar! Someone's got my little Cheddar! Help!"

You call out in alarm for your rabbit and scramble (4) up the roof. You look in through the shattered window. The foul scent from the room wafts outward actually seeming more intense than when you first entered.

(Spot Hidden 1) You see the cage on the floor near the window. But Cheddar is not in it.

"well, that didnt sound good. I need to get a better light source anyway. "

Grab hold of revolver, but do not pull it out yet. Move back upstairs and look for the source of the noise

Checking that your revolver is handy you head back upstairs. (1) Unfortunately a support gives way under one of the steps and you tumble backward head over heals to the bottom. (1d6)

-4 HP

Pull off the boards.

You make a second attempt to remove the boards. (Idea 5) You might have something that will help with this. (Luck 5) You open your kit of thieves tools and find a small pry bar. With the aid of the appropriate tool you take the board off without further mishap.

You open the cabinet. Inside are three books. ((Consider them taken if you want them.))

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll To Investigate - Stairs: Our Mortal Foe
« Reply #59 on: August 29, 2013, 11:06:25 am »

Go search the next room along, see if I can find the rabbit.
Caine's law.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14