Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14

Author Topic: Roll To Investigate - Post Mortem, and Explanation of Events  (Read 18363 times)

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
Re: Roll To Investigate - Lovecraftian Horror - The House
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2013, 10:52:44 am »

" Harvey watches the attempts to open the door fail then shrugs to himself and approaches it, maybe force will work. "

Kick the door down.

((A man of direct action I see.))

You've done this sort of thing a few times in your past life. You give the door a few kicks in the proper place near the handle (3) They land with a dull thud. You pause a moment to take a breath and steady yourself. Boganski has come up with a sledgehammer and is now looking at a nearby window with a puzzled expression on his face. You turn back to the door and give it another kick (5) The is a series of snapping sounds and the door shudders open.

It's dim inside but there is a long halfway that probably runs the length of the house. There are doors off it on either side.

"Merde, looks like the key is useless." Pierre thinks for a moment "may-bee, this is not the key for the normal doors? Let's look for other locked things. Unless any of you know a way to force open this door?"

Circle the house, look for other locks, possibly a cellar. Go check out the Arbor when I get to the back of the house.

You hear Jones starting to kick the door as you head around the house.

Your search (Spot Hidden 5) reveals no other doors, nor anywhere to else to try your key. You go to the arbor. Mr Jackson walks up and you look at it together. It's a fairly large one taking up much of the small yard. It's made of wood that may have once been painted white but is now weathered to stone grey. The one of the 4 support posts is damaged and listing drunkenly and quite a few of the trellis pieces are broken or missing. It's covered in grape vines now long untended. The shaded area under the trellis is paved colored brick in some sort of abstract pattern. There is also an ancient wooden bench here.

((I'll have gone to the house with the others))

Head to that half-collapsed arbor in the back

(Examine 1) You attempt to examine the arbor but find yourself rather distracted...it's wooden and old. (Idea 4) Watching the other's frustration it occurs to you that the doors must have deadbolts. Locking an empty house from the inside is like some sort of scaled up parlor trick.

Fedya naturally supposed that a house like this would be unsettling - it is, after all, quite abandoned and obviously in disrepair.

Get sledgehammer, check whether windows can be opened.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

You are now carrying your sledgehammer.

You inspect the nearest ground floor window. (4) There are large nails driven through the sash into the frame holding it closed. Very odd.

The door gives way under Jones' assault.

----------------------------------

You have now gained access to the house. Here's the layout of the ground floor. The front of the house is on the left.

Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Re: Roll To Investigate - Inspecting THE HELL out of grape arbors
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2013, 04:35:40 pm »

"I'll check it more thoroughly later."

Head back to the house, see if there is a tree near the house I can climb for viewing into the second floor
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2013, 04:39:34 pm »

Use tools (hammer, for instance) to remove nails from all the ground floor windows.

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2013, 05:36:30 pm »

"I'll check it more thoroughly later."

Head back to the house, see if there is a tree near the house I can climb for viewing into the second floor

There are not any nearby trees large enough to climb. Just some bushes and shrubs.

Use tools (hammer, for instance) to remove nails from all the ground floor windows.

Oh sorry, they're on the other side of the glass. Do you want to go in through the now open door and try to get to the other side of the window you're standing at now?
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2013, 05:43:52 pm »

Harvey grins triumphantly then shouts.

" The doors open!!! All it needed was a gentle touch.... and a big boot. "

Go inside and search room 1 for anything useful, or small and valuable. Or melee weapon like.
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2013, 05:46:42 pm »

Go inside, and go upstairs.
The Derail Thread

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2013, 05:59:54 pm »

Oh sorry, they're on the other side of the glass. Do you want to go in through the now open door and try to get to the other side of the window you're standing at now?

((Yes. Stop in case there's anything disturbing in the house.))

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2013, 06:07:41 pm »

"Oh merde..." He puts his hands to his mouth and shouts "YOU DO REALIZE THIS HOUSE BELONGS TO OUR EMPLOYER, RIGHT?" He shakes his head, ah well, what's been done has been done. He's sure doors don't cost that much anyway.

Go inside, go downstairs, and search the area. If there is no downstairs, search the living room.

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
  • I wanna be a cow boy babey
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2013, 07:17:57 pm »

((Hm. Looks interesting. I'm in for the Waitlist.

Name: Alexi Pratston
Description: Just out of College, Alexi, having studied an extra two years, has already been accepted into the local police academy as a rookie, and has been assigned to tag along with the investigators assigned to the actual investigating. She doesn't care that she's just tagging along for now. I mean, it's experience, right? Either way, she's a generally excitable girl, and nobody has ever seen her angry. She's fairly average in all aspects, except for the very...oddly coloured hair of hers. It's done in an alternating pattern of brown, black, and blonde.
Hit points: 13/13
Sanity: 50
Inventory: Standard issue pistol, pocket copy of the Gideon Bible, and her police Shield and Badge.

))
Hey, don't forget about research boy sitting right here!

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
Re: Roll To Investigate - In We Go
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2013, 08:43:48 pm »

Harvey grins triumphantly then shouts.

" The doors open!!! All it needed was a gentle touch.... and a big boot. "

Go inside and search room 1 for anything useful, or small and valuable. Or melee weapon like.

In the hallway you open the first door on the left and start looking around. The previous residents were apparently using it for storage.
There is a lot of junk here, old rusted water tanks, broken looking bicycles, various boxes and a large cabinet.

You start searching (1) pulling boxes off the stacks and opening them. The first several are depressingly boring. Some blankets, a box of children's toys, some cheap crockery. No weapons or anything worth more than a few cents.

You go inside. You open the first door on the right and look in. ((Room 4, Living Room))

(4) It's a living room, there is a couch, some stuffed chairs, a radio and some shelves with knickknacks. (Idea 6) You notice an unusually large number of crucifixes, images of the Virgin and other Catholic symbols. It seems a bit heavy handed even for the devout. Through an opening to the left you see into the area, which appears to be the dining room.

Seeing nothing threatening you continue with your plan and proceed to the windows. (6) You use your tools to pull he nails from the three windows in the living room. You are fast and efficient, but mar the paint a few times. The windows will open now if you unlatch them. ((consider it done if you want that))

Go inside, and go upstairs.

You make your way inside, and finding the stairs are the end of the hall you accend. You find yourself on a small landing. There's a door nearby to your left. Ahead of you is a long hallway with 3 doors on the left and 3 windows on the right.

"Oh merde..." He puts his hands to his mouth and shouts "YOU DO REALIZE THIS HOUSE BELONGS TO OUR EMPLOYER, RIGHT?" He shakes his head, ah well, what's been done has been done. He's sure doors don't cost that much anyway.

Go inside, go downstairs, and search the area. If there is no downstairs, search the living room.

((By downstairs you mean look for a basement? retcon available if I misinterpreted.))

You look with concern at the door on your way in. (6) You notice that besides the key operated one there are no less than 4 manual deadbolts on the inside. They look new. The door might be salvageable. It looks mostly like the anchor screws for the added locks in popped out of the wood. Maybe you can ask Boganski if he can fix it.

You can see the stairs up at the end of the hall, but none done. You start opening the hall doors one by one looking for one that leads down. You get to the last one, which happens to be opposite the stairs going up. If there is a basement this must be it.

This door too has an unusual number of deadbolts holding it closed. Although these ones are on your side of the door so you can easily open it if you wish.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 11:04:42 pm by Joben »

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2013, 08:46:45 pm »

Continue searching.
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2013, 11:29:43 pm »

Ignore the 4th second floor room, looks like a bathroom, check room 3 on the second floor.
The Derail Thread

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2013, 12:12:51 pm »

((Hm. Looks interesting. I'm in for the Waitlist.

Name: Alexi Pratston
Description: Just out of College, Alexi, having studied an extra two years, has already been accepted into the local police academy as a rookie, and has been assigned to tag along with the investigators assigned to the actual investigating. She doesn't care that she's just tagging along for now. I mean, it's experience, right? Either way, she's a generally excitable girl, and nobody has ever seen her angry. She's fairly average in all aspects, except for the very...oddly coloured hair of hers. It's done in an alternating pattern of brown, black, and blonde.
Hit points: 13/13
Sanity: 50
Inventory: Standard issue pistol, pocket copy of the Gideon Bible, and her police Shield and Badge.

))

Sure you're on the wait list. Interesting character, a female police officer in 1920 is still unusual. The first one ever in the United States was only hired 10 years ago in Los Angeles. But the concept was catching on fairly quickly.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2013, 12:49:51 pm »

Ah well, sometimes you just need to be adventurous, non?

Open the bolt, enter the basement. Look around, possibly turn on some light

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 12:54:35 pm by Pancaek »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll To Investigate - Lovecraftian Horror - The Setup
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2013, 12:53:37 pm »

Make sure windows are unlatched and open in living room to provide ventilation and such, proceed to dining room and remove nails from those windows as well, unlatching and opening the windows if successful.

Spoiler: Boganski's status (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14