Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14

Author Topic: Roll To Investigate - Post Mortem, and Explanation of Events  (Read 18330 times)

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
Roll To Investigate - Post Mortem, and Explanation of Events
« on: August 24, 2013, 06:35:41 pm »

Roll To Investigate: (6) You have discovered the true nature of reality. The knowledge drives you mad. You spend your final months writing an Apocalyptic Log for the next investigator.

The year is 1920 and the place is Boston Massachusetts in the United States. The game is one of eldritch horror.

The Plot Hook: The landlord of an old house in North Boston is worried. The last tenants in one of his houses went insane. They babbled about spooky events and some sort of lurking figure. The services of you and your friends were recommend to him as ones who can look into unusual matters. What, if anything, is going on at 20, Copp’s Hill Terrace. Can you solve the mystery?

I'm looking for 4 players.

Spoiler: What Is This? (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Update Schedual (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Characters (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Rules: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Post Format Style (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Injury: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Sanity: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Combat (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 12:10:33 pm by Joben »
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
Re: Roll To Investigate
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 06:36:19 pm »

Active Investigators:

Pancaek -
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Mastahcheese -

Harry Baldman -

Patrick Hunt -

------------

Wait List:

vagel7 -

greenstarfanatic -
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 12:14:03 pm by Joben »
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 07:19:17 pm »

Name: Pierre Fortescue
Description: A librarian drafted into the Great War, he served as a field medic. Unable to bear remaining in france after he saw his friends shot to pieces and his hometown destroyed, he immigrated to America in hopes of starting anew. He is about 1.8 meters tall and has dark brown hair with a moustache. His eyes are grey. He wears a simple brown checkered suit with a red bowtie. He is currently undergoing further medical training at the Miskatonic University.
Hit points: 13/13
Sanity: 50
Inventory: Nagant revolver(7/7,1d8+1,2,VS), book "the three musketeers", Satchel bag with basic medical supplies.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 02:05:43 pm by Pancaek »

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 09:03:19 pm »

Hey, I know you! I made a bunch of reactions for your crossbow fix mod.

Spoiler: Character (click to show/hide)
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 12:32:26 pm »

Name: Pierre Fortescue
Description: A librarian drafted into the Great War, he served as a field medic. Unable to bear remaining in france after he saw his friends shot to pieces and his hometown destroyed, he immigrated to America in hopes of starting anew. He is about 1.8 meters tall and has dark brown hair with a moustache. His eyes are grey. He wears a simple brown checkered suit with a red bowtie.
Inventory: Nagant revolver, book "the three musketeers", Satchel bag with basic medical supplies.

Lol excellent, with that backstory I feel like you know where this is going.

What are you doing for work these days? Is investigating...stuff your day job? If so you might have acquired a PI license. This might smooth any awkward questions about why you're being nosy or carrying a firearm. Being a librarian, and/or getting further medical training at nearby Miskatonic University would also make sense.

Here's your revolver's stats: 7 Capacity, 1d8+1 Damage, 2 aimed shots/round, Very Slow Reload
Abbreviated: (7/7,1d8+1,2,VS)
You can have a standard box of ammo (50).

Hey, I know you! I made a bunch of reactions for your crossbow fix mod.

Spoiler: Character (click to show/hide)

Oh really? Can you drop me a link or PM me about it? I've been out of touch with the modding scene for about a year. :)

Interesting character. There aren't really stats in this game. But I'll keep in mind that Cromwell would be familiar with sleight of hand and other performance related stuff.

Just in case it's ever relevant you rabbit has 3 hp.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Roll To Investigate - Lovecraftian Horror (2/4 Slots Filled)
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 12:56:50 pm »

Name: Fyodor Vadimovich Boganski
Description: A former member of Russia's White Guard, Fedya left, well, escaped his homeland shortly after the October Revolution, rather unwilling to place himself under the looming power of the proletarian dictatorship who would be all too glad to lynch him for his political allegiance. And since Europe was quite ruined and he didn't have any relations there, he decided to move as far as possible - to America. He kind of likes it here - he's been working as a renovator, fixing up old houses and the like. He is quiet and unimposing, conservatively and frugally dressed, and most would call him quite phlegmatic. He is, however, also quite hardworking, and never complains, much to the delight of many of his employers.
Inventory: toolbox (contains hammer, nails, crowbar, screwdriver, screws), thirty dollars.
Owns (not on person): cart, cart-pulling donkey (named Nikolai), sledgehammer (in cart), shovel (in cart).
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 01:22:31 pm by Harry Baldman »

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 12:59:18 pm »

4th place holder.

Name: Harvey Jones
Description: Harvey is a criminal who got tired of running from the law and so found himself another job that he could devote his less socially acceptable skills to. He grew up on the street surviving on his speed and his skill with a knife.
He's 6 ft tall and has a lean but well muscled figure with piercing blue eyes and short brown hair.

Hit points: 13
Inventory: Pair of military combat knives ( 1d4+2 x2. ), large backpack with a few clothes and his set of thieves gear plus his flashlight.
Owns (not on person): Nothing.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 02:55:54 pm by Patrick Hunt »
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 01:04:19 pm »

Name: Jack Howard Smith
Description: A tall, skinny man wearing an ill-fitting dark blue suit and white shirt. He is a writer of the macabre and supernatural.
Inventory: Notebook on supernatural research and a pocketknife.
Owns (not on person): Automobile, a vast library that fills most of his little town house.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 01:46:20 pm »

Name: Fyodor Vadimovich Boganski
Description: A former member of Russia's White Guard, Fedya left, well, escaped his homeland shortly after the October Revolution, rather unwilling to place himself under the looming power of the proletarian dictatorship who would be all too glad to lynch him for his political allegiance. And since Europe was quite ruined and he didn't have any relations there, he decided to move as far as possible - to America. He kind of likes it here - he's been working as a renovator, fixing up old houses and the like. He is quiet and unimposing, conservatively and frugally dressed, and most would call him quite phlegmatic. He is, however, also quite hardworking, and never complains, much to the delight of many of his employers.
Inventory: toolbox (contains hammer, nails, crowbar, screwdriver, screws), thirty dollars.
Owns (not on person): cart, cart-pulling donkey (named Nikolai), sledgehammer (in cart), shovel (in cart).

You're in. In addition to to their obvious functions Several of your items could be improvised as weapons. Your best bets are the hammer or crowbar at 1d4+1 or the sledge hammer at 1d8+1

4th place holder.

Name: Harvey Jones
Description: Harvey is a criminal who got tired of running from the law and so found himself another job that he could devote his less socially acceptable skills to. He grew up on the street surviving on his speed and his skill with a knife.
He's 6 ft tall and has a lean but well muscled figure with piercing blue eyes and short brown hair.

Hit points: 13
Inventory: Pair of military combat knives, large backpack with a few clothes and his set of thieves gear plus his flashlight.
Owns (not on person): Nothing.

You're in. Your combat knives do 1d4+2

Name: Jack Howard Smith
Description: A tall, skinny man wearing an ill-fitting dark blue suit and white shirt. He is a writer of the macabre and supernatural.
Inventory: Notebook on supernatural research and a pocketknife.
Owns (not on person): Automobile, a vast library that fills most of his little town house.

I'll put you on the wait list.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013, 02:04:40 pm »

What are you doing for work these days? Is investigating...stuff your day job? If so you might have acquired a PI license. This might smooth any awkward questions about why you're being nosy or carrying a firearm. Being a librarian, and/or getting further medical training at nearby Miskatonic University would also make sense.

Here's your revolver's stats: 7 Capacity, 1d8+1 Damage, 2 aimed shots/round, Very Slow Reload
((oh, hah, completely forgot what he's doing now. I'll update my original post to reflect that he's indeed training to be a full-fledged doctor now. Also, as for the gun, I believe reading that there weren't actually many laws until the firearms act of 1934?))

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2013, 02:28:48 pm »

((oh, hah, completely forgot what he's doing now. I'll update my original post to reflect that he's indeed training to be a full-fledged doctor now. Also, as for the gun, I believe reading that there weren't actually many laws until the firearms act of 1934?))

There are in general MUCH more lax than in the US at present, and the country in general had a culture more prone to view guns as normal. Country boys were often given a .22 and kicked out the door to go amuse themselves. And you could by Thomspon submachine guns off the rack. Target shooting was a common sport for much of the last few centuries.

However many municipalities in the long and densely settled East coast have local laws that require a permit for concealed firearms. And discharging a weapon within city limits will make law enforcement very unhappy unless you have a darned good explanation. I'm not actually sure of the specific laws in Boston in 1920. But I'm going to say a cop might not be happy if he noticed you had one, and the result would depend largely on how you handled it.

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll To Investigate - Lovecraftian Horror
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2013, 02:32:57 pm »

(( Hence why I'm carrying knives not guns. ))
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2013, 02:35:41 pm »

((I see, well, I guess I'll just have to roll with it then. If the time comes, I'll try to talk my way out if it.))

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2013, 02:44:54 pm »

You are meeting with Mr John Reeves in his office. It's after lunch on Monday the 20 of August, 1920. He has a problem and your services were recommended by a school friend of Pierre Fortescue.

"Hello Gentlemen. Thank you for coming. As told you in my letter I own a property at 20, Copp’s Hill Terrace. Perhaps you read of the events that occurred there several months ago with regard to the tenants? I was away on business at the time but know little of the mater other than the rumors. However they are quite lurid."

"As it stands now Mr and Mrs. Marcano have been committed to Roxburry Sanitarium indefinitely. I have been forced to formally evict them, and now, of course, much rent the property to new tenants. However I am worried that the house may have acquired an evil reputation. I will give you free rein to investigate the matter. I will pay a total of $10 a day and a $100 bonus if you can clear up the matter and give the place a clean bill of health so to speak. I am willing to pay this in hopes of silencing the rumors and protecting my investment in the property. There is little harder than than renting or selling a haunted or 'evil' house."

Mr Reeve is offering your party $10 a day to investigate details of what went on at one of his properties. And a $100 dollar bonus upon favorable completion if you can clear the place of any problems. You may speak with him further about the matter or proceed with your investigations.

((In general when conversing with an NPC, which you may do a fair bit, it isn't really a "Turn" you can post dialog and I'll try to post their reply fairly promptly as it comes in.))
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 02:50:38 pm by Joben »

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll To Investigate - Lovecraftian Horror - The Setup
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2013, 02:50:53 pm »

(( 10 each? Or 10 split between us? ))
Caine's law.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14