Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14

Author Topic: Roll To Investigate - Post Mortem, and Explanation of Events  (Read 18393 times)

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
Re: Roll To Investigate - In Which Magicians Strike Beds With Backpacks
« Reply #75 on: August 31, 2013, 08:41:37 pm »

((sorry, I was really busy yesterday.))

"Yes, I tried the switch but it didn't work. Toss me the flashlight and maybe go and see if you can get the fusebox working? I'll take a look around here."

Get flashlight, Inspect my wounds, then look around the basement more closely this time.

((No problem at all.))

"Can't toss. It will break if you drop it. I like this light."

Boganski comes down the stairs a little way then noticing how rickety they are stops and addresses them in angry sounding Russian. You come a few steps up, very gingerly, to take the flashlight. Moving so carefully you both manage to avoid injury, but you note to yourself that the stairs will still be dangerous if you ever have to traverse them in haste.

Boganski mutters something about looking at the fuse box and heads back up.

You inspect your injuries. (1+1 from medical kit. No immediate healing) There isn't much you can do. It seems to be mostly heavy bruising, possibly a cracked rib. This is going to hurt a lot in the morning.

A minute or two later the lights flicker on and you can see the basement more clearly. In the smallish room are scattered tools, pipe, lumber, nails, screws, and so forth. The side walls are of brick. The wall facing the stairs is of wood, as are the walls of the room under the stairs.

Quote from: Boganski
Fix things!

You head back to the kitchen and opening the fuse box find that the fuse next to the label "Basement" has been removed. You replace it. Then continue removing nails; the kitchen windows are now functional again.

Take it and continue my search in the next room.

You can never have too many sharp objects. You take the hatchet and move on.

The next room is what is commonly called a 'Mud Room.' The rear/side entrance to the house is here. There are rough woven mats on the floor. Lined up against a wall are a few pairs shoes, boots and galoshes. Hanging from pegs are a few coats and hats. Two umbrellas and a walking stick rest in a stand. A few sacks of coal sit near the door.

There is nothing interesting in the coat pockets.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 11:29:54 pm by Joben »
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll To Investigate - In Which Magicians Strike Beds With Backpacks
« Reply #76 on: August 31, 2013, 08:49:27 pm »

Compare my shoes to the boots, if the boots are in good condition and the right size then put a pair on. Big boots are useful for kicking in doors after all.

Move into room 6 and continue my search for anything valuable, interesting or sharp knives that look like they'd do some nasty damage if I stab somebody with them.
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Re: Roll To Investigate - Cosmic Horror, and Fuse Boxes
« Reply #77 on: August 31, 2013, 11:53:57 pm »

Re-obtain Cheddar, and walk carefully back out of the room.

Spoiler: Character (click to show/hide)
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Roll To Investigate - Lovecraftian Horror - The Setup
« Reply #78 on: September 03, 2013, 01:11:38 am »

Okay, now for the other side of the house. Rooms 1, 2 and 3 - remove those nails! Fix them windows!

Spoiler: Boganski's status (click to show/hide)

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
Re: Roll To Investigate - Cosmic Horror, and Fuse Boxes
« Reply #79 on: September 03, 2013, 10:36:40 am »

Look carefully around the entire basement.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
Re: Roll To Investigate - In Which The Party Finds A Number Of Knives
« Reply #80 on: September 03, 2013, 11:01:10 am »

Re-obtain Cheddar, and walk carefully back out of the room.

Spoiler: Character (click to show/hide)

You pick up your cage and step carefully over to the dresser. Cheddar seems to be almost catatonic with fear. You get him back in his cage with little effort. You circle warily around the bed and head for the door. It creaks open as you approach it. Then closes behind you as you leave. A rhythmic thumping noise starts up inside the room.

You are once more in the top floor hallway.

Compare my shoes to the boots, if the boots are in good condition and the right size then put a pair on. Big boots are useful for kicking in doors after all.

Move into room 6 and continue my search for anything valuable, interesting or sharp knives that look like they'd do some nasty damage if I stab somebody with them.

Amazingly you find a pair of men's work boots in your size nicer than what you are currently wearing.

You cross the hall to the kitchen. Boganski is here though he heads out shortly after you arrive. Besides normal kitchen items you find a few bottles of what appears to be home-made wine. ((One of the few sources of borderline legal alcohol at this time.))

You also see a block of kitchen knives. They seem to be quivering very slightly, almost as if shaken by the vibration of a passing train, but you can feel nothing. They become still as you step closer.

A loud rhythmic thumping noise begins is a room above your head.

Okay, now for the other side of the house. Rooms 1, 2 and 3 - remove those nails! Fix them windows!

Spoiler: Boganski's status (click to show/hide)

((Welcome back))

A quick inspection of Rooms 1,2,3 reveal that they have a single small high window each. They are not designed to open, only let in a little light.

Room 3 is a mud room with hats and coats, and the back door of the house. Room 2 contains mostly some stacks of junk wooden objects destined for the kitchen stove. Room 1 is full of junk and boxes of seldom used household goods.

A moment later you here a loud rhythmic thumping noise coming from the upstairs.

Look carefully around the entire basement.

You inspect the basement Room 1 carefully. Besides the aforementioned supplies and goods you find something unusual. In a cobwebbed corner behind some junk there is an old dagger. It has an ornate hilt, and the blade is caked with oddly thick rust. ((Will you take it?))

You begin to hear a rhythmic pounding noise from above you in the house. It shows no sign of stopping.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 11:05:13 am by Joben »
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll To Investigate - In Which The Party Finds A Number of Knives
« Reply #81 on: September 03, 2013, 11:10:52 am »

((Will you take it?))

((If that question isn't a convincing reason not to take it, I don't know what is.))

See where the commotion upstairs is coming from.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 03, 2013, 11:12:12 am »

"What, I'm down here investigating and they're having a party?" He shakes his head

Take the knife, inspect it a bit closer. Then go and inspect basement room 2

((Will you take it?))

((If that question isn't a convincing reason not to take it, I don't know what is.))

((really, it's just a knife that looks like it may have been used in some ancient evil ritual. What's the worst that could happen?))

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 03, 2013, 11:44:50 am »

Take the sharp kitchen knives then continue my search in the next room along.
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 03, 2013, 06:58:27 pm »

Stay put for a second and try to catch my breath, don't let anyone in that room. Give Cheddar a treat.
The Derail Thread

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #85 on: September 03, 2013, 09:15:25 pm »

((Will you take it?))

((really, it's just a knife that looks like it may have been used in some ancient evil ritual. What's the worst that could happen?))

((Ahh signs of genre savyness. But, oh no! What if it's an elaborate double bluff and the world ends if you don't take the knife?

Turn soon, proofreading it.))

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
Re: Roll To Investigate - What could go wrong?
« Reply #86 on: September 03, 2013, 09:27:02 pm »

((Will you take it?))

Boganski heads upstairs. There is a landing area with a door off it, then a long hallway with three doors on the left.

Outside the first hall door is Jackson. He looks extremely disheveled, and rather agitated. He is attempting to give a treat to his rabbit.

The door which he is standing near clearly leads to the room from which the noise is coming.

"What, I'm down here investigating and they're having a party?" He shakes his head

Take the knife, inspect it a bit closer. Then go and inspect basement room 2

Fortescue takes the knife over into the light and examine it. Closer inspection shows that it's not as rusty as you though at first, it's mostly just coated in dark grime, the majority of it on the blade. It looks like this:

You then move on to basement room 2. The door creaks open. The small room is fairly empty, though judging by the black dust it was once used to store coal. Examining the walls you find the coal chute to the outside, now boarded up.

Then the lights go out.

The pounding noise continues somewhere upstairs.

Take the sharp kitchen knives then continue my search in the next room along.

Jones Searches the Kitchen:

You take a butcher knife, and two smaller knives that are in good condition and have well sharpened edges. ((1d6 and 1d4 respectively)).

You feel like your mind wandered for a minute. What were you doing? oh yes...you step into the dining room. There is a long mahogany table with seven chairs. Three places are set. Two are unused, a rather smelly tureen is on the table, empty except for a little brown goo. There is a built in sideboard, which appears to contain only dishware.

The pounding noise continues upstairs.

Stay put for a second and try to catch my breath, don't let anyone in that room. Give Cheddar a treat.

Jackson attempts to give Cheddar a treat. Cheddar quivers. Jackson makes placating noises. Cheddar sits still. Jackson offers the treat again. Cheddar's distress finally abates and it starts nibbling the treat.

Boganski has arrived to see what is making all the noise.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 04, 2013, 12:03:07 am »

"Boganski, you're never going to believe me, but there is an animate piece of furniture that tried to murder me in there. Just look at Cheddar! He's never been so scared in his life!"
The Derail Thread

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 04, 2013, 12:09:44 am »

"Really? An animate piece of furniture? Well, we had better make sure it does not threaten anyone else, then," Boganski says as a matter of course in rather heavily-accented English.

Take a quick look inside the noisy room. If threat spotted, get back into the hallway and ready sledgehammer.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 04, 2013, 12:11:08 am »

Back up!
The Derail Thread
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14