Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14

Author Topic: Roll To Investigate - Post Mortem, and Explanation of Events  (Read 18329 times)

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
Re: Roll To Investigate - Lovecraftian Horror - The Setup
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2013, 02:54:29 pm »

"Ah, excusez moi, mister Reeves. I'm afraid that I have not been able to read up on the specifics. What rumors are we talking about specifically?"

ask this, then go if no-one else has anything to say
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 03:42:29 pm by Pancaek »

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2013, 03:10:49 pm »

(( 10 each? Or 10 split between us? ))

((10 split. You could negotiate though, common knowledge to your characters is that $2.50 a day is lower-class wages.))
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2013, 03:11:26 pm »

Let other people talk, wait for them.
I'm good to go, myself. I'm used to low wages.

Spoiler: Character (click to show/hide)
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2013, 03:35:31 pm »

I'm good to go.

Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2013, 03:45:15 pm »

"Ah, excusez moi, mister Reeves. I'm afraid that I have not been able to read up on the specifics. What rumors are we talking about specifically?"

Mr. Reeve pauses for a moment as if the next statement is difficult for him to make. "Quite frankly Mr. Fortescue the rumors are that the place is haunted.

This outre thought having been voiced he continues on with less effort. "I do not know if I believe in such things, but those are the stories. I have not spoken with the former tenants, as I said they now reside in Roxburry Sanitarium. They moved into the place in 1918, and a year later Mr. Marcano went violently mad. I believe it was covered in the papers at the time. The mother and children remained in the place, but last month she too suffered a breakdown and was institutionalized. People say she babbled about 'burning eyes.' I do not believe this is the first time strange events have been connected with the house. But I only acquired the property some 2 years ago. I know little of it's history. You may investigate it as you wish."

Here he pauses again and shakes his head. "If you can find there is nothing to such tales it will set my mind at ease. If you do find some truth in them I understand you claim some experience in such matters. Deal with any...strange... problems as best you know how to render the place fit for occupancy."
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2013, 03:53:39 pm »

"Naturellement, Mister Reeves, I will do my utmost best to lay your concerns to rest." He turns towards the others "So, where should we start."

ready to go, follow the others

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2013, 04:23:47 pm »

"Naturellement, Mister Reeves, I will do my utmost best to lay your concerns to rest." He turns towards the others "So, where should we start."

ready to go, follow the others

Mr Reeve thanks you. The two of you sign papers briefly stating the terms discussed in plain language. ((I assume you don't object to this.))

He then gives you a Key to The House, and a copy of the signed Contract.

(6) As a librarian it occurs to you that records no doubt exist in various places if you wish to know more about the history of the house and it's occupants.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 05:04:45 pm by Joben »

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2013, 04:24:53 pm »

Go to the house.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 05:05:01 pm by Patrick Hunt »
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2013, 05:02:27 pm »

Fedya nods. Hauntings - he had heard of such things before, but held them to be superstition at best. The mentally unstable tended to give their places of residence bad reputations.

Examine house from outside. Is there anything particularly unusual about it?

Spoiler: Boganski's status (click to show/hide)

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2013, 05:10:23 pm »

Pierre follows the rest of the team to the house. Bah, hauntings. What harm has a silly little ghost ever done to anyone? He's survived trench warfare and continues artillery bombardements already, let those ghosts try something, les salopards.

"So, unless anyone wants to go dig up the history of this place, I suggest we go inside and take a look, oui?"

Open door with the key, step inside

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
Re: Roll To Investigate - Lovecraftian Horror - The House
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2013, 07:42:32 pm »

You conclude your business with Mr Reeve and all of you who are going to The House head off in that direction. I assume in Fydor's cart.

((Cromwell Jackson, the street magician, can be there with the others or go somewhere else.))

The neighborhood has seen large changes over the years. Many of the people who lived in the area before WWI have moved away or died. New offices and businesses have replaced the nineteenth-century homes, and #20 with its overgrown front yard is now the only private residence on the block.

It is a two story brick bungalow overshadowed by taller, newer office buildings on either side. The house fronts the street. It almost seems to withdraw into the shadows cast by the flanking buildings.

Fedya nods. Hauntings - he had heard of such things before, but held them to be superstition at best. The mentally unstable tended to give their places of residence bad reputations.

Examine house from outside. Is there anything particularly unusual about it?

Spoiler: Boganski's status (click to show/hide)

You circle the house and grounds stomping stolidly through the overgrown grass.
Behind the house are long untended plantings and a half collapsed arbor.

You turn your eyes to the house itself. Nothing is visible through any of the windows. They all appear to be covered by dark curtains. You see a second door leading into the back yard.

The house is two stories, the upper one being slightly smaller than the ground floor. The structure of the house is, to your professional eyes, obviously fairly old, perhaps almost a hundred years. The exterior could use some minor work, but the structure looks sound enough.

You are of a pragmatic disposition and not given to superstition, but for a moment you admit to yourself that there is something about the place that is slightly unsettling...you can't name what it is ...Oh such foolishness! Maybe it just needs a new coat of paint.

Pierre follows the rest of the team to the house. Bah, hauntings. What harm has a silly little ghost ever done to anyone? He's survived trench warfare and continues artillery bombardements already, let those ghosts try something, les salopards.

"So, unless anyone wants to go dig up the history of this place, I suggest we go inside and take a look, oui?"

Open door with the key, step inside

You approach the front door and use the key to unlock the door. You turn the handle and push. The door remains closed. You fiddle with the key for a minute more to make sure you turned it properly. You hear the lock click back and forth. The door still won't open. You try the back door with similar results.

((There you guys have a problem to think about. No more actions processed until Mastacheese and Patrick post again. I dont' want to leave them behind. :) ))

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2013, 07:48:06 pm »

"Merde, looks like the key is useless." Pierre thinks for a moment "may-bee, this is not the key for the normal doors? Let's look for other locked things. Unless any of you know a way to force open this door?"

Circle the house, look for other locks, possibly a cellar. Go check out the Arbor when I get to the back of the house.

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2013, 07:52:58 pm »

" Harvey watches the attempts to open the door fail then shrugs to himself and approaches it, maybe force will work. "

Kick the door down.
Caine's law.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2013, 10:37:38 pm »

((I'll have gone to the house with the others))

Head to that half-collapsed arbor in the back
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2013, 02:42:06 am »

Fedya naturally supposed that a house like this would be unsettling - it is, after all, quite abandoned and obviously in disrepair.

Get sledgehammer, check whether windows can be opened.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14