Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 5 Ambush Pile-up  (Read 1344 times)

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
5 Ambush Pile-up
« on: August 24, 2013, 05:05:00 pm »

Something... odd just happened. I was doing my thing, throwing some cavern-captures into a hole. Suddenly, an ambush. Then another. Then another. Then another. Then another. Then something odd happened. I noticed one of them, instead of ''An ambush! Curse them!" it said "A goblin has sprung from an ambush!" Then, immediately, all the little ambush squads killed their own leaders. A group of lashers Jedi'd their hammer man. Swordmen turned on their Axeman. A crossbowman was hacked apart by axemen.

What the sweet unholy hell just happened?

Edit; Okay, bit of an update. After their commanders were all dispatched, they uhh.. turned on each other. They killed a few of themselves then left the map. Another thing, these ambushes all popped up on the edge of the map, without being seen by anything. All my beards were within the fortress. I'm not sure why they got exposed.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 05:11:47 pm by SpiralDimentia »
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 5 Ambush Pile-up
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 05:53:24 pm »

Sounds like some kind of loyalty cascade. Though were the 5 ambush groups forming into teams or was it every goblin for himself?

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 06:04:37 pm »

It's happening again.. This time only 4 ambush groups. They were sighted as soon as they appeared on the edge of the map, then proceeded to murder the everloving hell out of their commanders... They butcher their leaders then some take off, others just stand around clueless.
Legacy of Insightshields

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 06:15:19 pm »

It certainly sounds like a bug -- at this stage in the game anyway. Theoretically, whatever confused loyalties are possible once the personal and factional loyalty system is improved and fleshed out more ought to be possible for both dwarves and goblins; but inasmuch as the phenomenon of simplestic, self-destroying civilizations known as loyalty cascades is a bug currently, it sounds as though it was compounded with a second bug that it managed to occur to an enemy civ that shouldn't have any reason (as far as I can think) for its members to kill one another and trigger such a cascade.

If you want you can upload the save to the DFFD and link it in a bug report (and if you have a save from before it started, that should probably be uploaded too; I have no idea if it's possible to confirm that such a thing hasn't started yet, though), but I expect Toady would rather just rewrite the areas of the game that it happens to affect than actually figure out what happened to your poor goblin friends.
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 06:21:26 pm »

It's happening again.. This time only 4 ambush groups. They were sighted as soon as they appeared on the edge of the map, then proceeded to murder the everloving hell out of their commanders... They butcher their leaders then some take off, others just stand around clueless.

Sounds more like a mutiny. Someone else saw something similar when they did a fort reclaim, is that fort a reclaimed fort? That could partially answer it.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 06:45:19 pm »

Is it possible that different goblin civs are involved here? that doesn't explain their killing their leaders (but not each other? just the other groups?) but it does put some sense into the situation.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 09:39:06 pm »

Were the leaders of a different race? Possibly former prisoners of war or kidnapped citizens? I've heard that these old allegiances can linger, resulting in squads turning on themselves because their leader is considered an enemy of their civilization.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TORTURE_ELVES: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 01:19:48 am »

i thought gobos killing gobos's was a personal matter

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 02:34:05 am »

Reminds me of these bugs.
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=3685

From what I can remember from getting it quite long ago it never actually stopped happening when it had started.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013, 06:40:48 am »

That almost seemed like it, but no, the commanders are all goblins. They spam my combat log with ''the goblin axeman hacks at the goblin spearman with his axe!" and stuff like that. It's strange.
Legacy of Insightshields

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2013, 08:51:00 am »

are you using any mods or did you recently change anything in the raws? It's pretty weird, almost as if they have their own loyalty cascade. Any chance you messed with the goblins as adventurer?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2013, 07:33:44 pm »

No, no mods and no raw changing. I play as vanilla as possible.

Also; I just was able to witness the whole situation. This is maybe the fifth time it's happened, and all three ambush groups appeared near each other on the edge of the map. After slaughtering their commanders, they started in on each other. And not just the other groups. The spearmen started butchering each other. The bowmen started pincushioning each other. The hammermen [who were in between all the crossbowmen] started smashing them apart and then went after each other. I don't even understand it.

Edit; I thought maybe it was different civilizations fighting one another, but no, [c] shows me that there is only 1 goblin faction known at this time. So I've decided that I know fuck all about what's going down here.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 07:36:11 pm by SpiralDimentia »
Legacy of Insightshields

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2013, 01:18:47 am »

I noticed a similar thing some time ago: occasionally, If a squad leader of an ambush were a historical figure (goblin or not), his unhistorical subordinated would turn on him and hack him apart. This is the bug I believe, maybe somehow connected to what those figures had done in worldgen, and what happens after is just a well-known loyalty cascade.
I never had it with that frequency though, in my games they'd just butcher their general and a couple of kidnapped squad leaders, and after that they'd run out of historical figures and start ambushing properly.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2013, 04:37:20 am »

Do goblins feel crowded and lash out randomly if too many are packed into a small area, like domesticated animals do?  Maybe the ambush groups were bunched up too tightly, one gobbo stabbed another as a way of saying "go away", and that's what set them off.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.