Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Looking for a different tabletop RPG  (Read 1893 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Looking for a different tabletop RPG
« on: August 24, 2013, 12:47:10 pm »

For a while, I and my gaming buddies have been playing DnD 3.5. We like the system, but I've been thinking for a while now I'd really like to try a system that relies a lot less on hitpoints and more on a "wounds" system or something where damage and injuries stay realistic (and grave) even as characters advance. If you know of any good systems like that, I'd like to try them out.

Also incidentally, we've been thinking about going from 3.5 to pathfinder, what do you think of that?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a different tabletop RPG
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 02:18:16 pm »

Pathfinder is a nice simplification of 3.5, in a way that doesn't really detract from the game. It doesn't have a more realistic wound system.

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 03:30:30 pm »

Pathfinder is great but does not have a different wound system.

If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 03:34:43 pm »

I think the Warhammer rpg has a more interesting wound system (never tried). White wolf games definitely do, however abstracted (wounds cause penalties to everything, heal variously depending of if the damage was blunt (getting beaten), lethal (stabbed/shot) or aggravated (depends: claws of supernatural beings, fire and sunshine for vampires, silver for werewolves etc), however since most White Wolf games are around supernatural creatures you could heal most injuries using your powers. If you went for a party of mortals, you wouldn't have access to that kind of healing though.

More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 03:45:13 pm »

merpg (middle earth rpg) has a very complicated, spreadsheet based wound system. if you realy want to know if your xbow bolt hit the left or right lung, this is your rpg.

Ant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 04:07:04 pm »

as well as rolemaster system. Although both MERP and RM are pretty hard to "pick up", I've still work to do even tho have been playing since -94 :)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 04:41:31 pm »

I recommend Burning Wheel for fantasy roleplay.  It's a completely different feel, though, so if you just want D&D with some modifications, then it's probably not for you.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 04:46:11 pm »

GURPS has a fairly brutal wound/body part loss system. Exact level of brutality depends on GM

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2013, 04:55:35 pm »

I believe Legend of the 5 Rings has a more complicated wound system.  Not sure if it's location-based, don't remember, but injury causes worsening penalties and it's pretty easy to get knocked well into the red by a single good hit.
Shoes...

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2013, 05:04:03 pm »

There is a game called wilsdie that does wounds very well (other things not so much).

You may also want to check out deadlands (explicit wounds) or Fate (consequences which mirror wounds).

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2013, 05:27:22 pm »

Ars Magica has a fairly good wound system (and also aging - since it's based on a "somewhat realistic" medieval setting - except for the magic, faeries, demons etc, depending on the kind of campaign you're playing, old age can be a common cause of death for characters.)

Been many years since I played, so there have probably been a lot of updates and changes since then, but I remember enjoying it.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2013, 06:20:24 pm »

Ars Magica has a fairly good wound system (and also aging - since it's based on a "somewhat realistic" medieval setting - except for the magic, faeries, demons etc, depending on the kind of campaign you're playing, old age can be a common cause of death for characters.)

Been many years since I played, so there have probably been a lot of updates and changes since then, but I remember enjoying it.
Ars Magica 4th Edition is also free, so there's 0 investment in trying it.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2013, 07:12:30 pm »

*sigh*

FateRPG and Fudge both use a wound system.

If you lose a combat you get a condition put onto you, which becomes more severe if it happens again.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2013, 07:14:08 pm »

*sigh*

FateRPG and Fudge both use a wound system.

If you lose a combat you get a condition put onto you, which becomes more severe if it happens again.

One of the few actual highlights of the combat system.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2013, 07:23:31 pm »

The problem is that very few systems use a wound system.

I mean Mutants and Masterminds sort of does in that battles take place in a sort of each bruise weakens your defenses and you fight until someone can knock the other out in a single attack.
Pages: [1] 2