Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Evil Biomes Woes  (Read 2961 times)

Snow Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Evil Biomes Woes
« on: August 23, 2013, 10:34:58 pm »

Dark purple means low savagery while magenta means terrifying right? But what do black/red mean? Also what conditions are necessary so I get a reanimating biome anyone knows? Are they just random with a lower chance of being generated than just another blood rain biome or am I missing something here? Also does anyone know the requirements for eyeball grass and completely dead vegetation save for glumprongs? Is there a difference between a husk and a thrall? Are skeletal creatures generated or wilddeath always starts as zombies?

So far in my !!Ń SCIENTIFIC Ń!! adventures:

I found blendecs harpies and ogres in purple and magenta biomes. More so in magenta. There was blood rain in these biomes as well. No sign of thralling clouds. Vegetation was mostly normal and alive with the occasional phantom spider web. There was no reanimation.

I found eyeball grass in shrublands "n" at the foot of a mountain near a river and nowhere else. There were glumprongs in purple swamps where every shrub and even the grass was dead. There were clouds were the glumprongs were. Sneaked away real fast and forgot to check for reanimation near glumprongs. Didn't run into any wilddeath so far.

I encountered a black jungle and decided to investigate. Vegetation is normal and alive but there are walking corpses everywhere. Vegetation was also alive in a red hill. The jungle contained normal animals while the hill had giant versions of them, also undead. A black swamp had glumprongs, eyeball grass AND undead.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 11:17:08 pm by Snow Fenrir »
"Wait why are there bone golems in my dinning room?"

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
Re: Evil Biomes Woes
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 10:43:55 pm »

I think black and red are just badlands/deserts, not indicative of evilness. Also, savage =/= evil: you can get "savage" good biomes also, though they're called things like "Joyous Wilds" (at the highest savagery, iirc).
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

Snow Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 10:49:48 pm »

I think black and red are just badlands/deserts, not indicative of evilness. Also, savage =/= evil: you can get "savage" good biomes also, though they're called things like "Joyous Wilds" (at the highest savagery, iirc).

I used to think that too but I just generated a black and red jungle ???

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 11:37:58 pm »

I just have a single question:

I have noticed that I can't grow surface crops at all on a terrifying tundra embark.
It has living plants (grows very weak tundra grasses), and spawns 2 different kinds of evil cloud weather. (Devilish smoke that causes huskification, and execrable fog, which I have carefully avoided, so I don't know what it does.) The site autozombifies corpses.

I ca buy surface crops from the elven and human caravans, and have seeds.

But, when I make a surface farm plot, it insists no seeds are available.

I have seen this happen when the soil is contaminated with salt, but I savescummed, and then used dfhack to spawn clean liquids on a constructed floor to make mud, built a farm plot on that, and had the same result.

The wiki says nothing at all about evil biomes preventing surface crop cultivation.  Is this behavior correct, or is my embark bugged?

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 11:48:41 pm »

I just have a single question:

I have noticed that I can't grow surface crops at all on a terrifying tundra embark.
It has living plants (grows very weak tundra grasses), and spawns 2 different kinds of evil cloud weather. (Devilish smoke that causes huskification, and execrable fog, which I have carefully avoided, so I don't know what it does.) The site autozombifies corpses.

I ca buy surface crops from the elven and human caravans, and have seeds.

But, when I make a surface farm plot, it insists no seeds are available.

I have seen this happen when the soil is contaminated with salt, but I savescummed, and then used dfhack to spawn clean liquids on a constructed floor to make mud, built a farm plot on that, and had the same result.

The wiki says nothing at all about evil biomes preventing surface crop cultivation.  Is this behavior correct, or is my embark bugged?
I've noticed different above-ground crops will grow on different embarks.  It seems if a crop "likes" even part of the embark, it will grow over the whole thing, so if I have a corner of savage good in my embark, I can grow whip vines and sunberries on the true neutral remainder of the embark.  If I don't have any good, sunberries might not show up as an option to plant, even if the elves bring me seeds, same with whip vines.

So far in my experience, it's just been those two: Whip vines needing savage turf and sunberries needing good.  I could imagine though, extreme embarks might make other surface plants cranky (in the case that they're all "not freezing").

It's possible your terrifying tundra cannot support any of the "ordinary" crops.  I've never personally embarked on one to find out.  If you can get some silver barb seeds, maybe you can grow them?  They're no good for booze, though.  Have you tried doing light-shaft farming of above-grounds on a glacier?  if that works, I'm out of ideas.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 11:55:31 pm »

You can make curor from sliver barb, it is just the most disgusting, lowest quality booze in the game is all.

I can't plant any of the normal crops. The embark does not spawn trees or bushes. Just weak tundra grass. The grass is not undead, and is not wormy tendrils.

This is part of my personal "zero pick, zero axe, one stone" challenge.

The tundra is on top of fireclay, so I was able to harvest clay boulders to construct my fortress. It is now over 100 dwarves strong, but the caravans aren't quite bringing enough booze and plants, and I am suffering dehydration problems.. There is no surface water.

Being able to grow surface plants would solve the problem.

There are no wild hives, so I can't do mead.

This will be one radically fun fortress really soon if I can't find a solution.

Snow Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 12:04:45 am »

wierd can you give me the worldgen parameters or a save? I remember growing sun berries on reanimating terrifying biomes before from seeds brought by the elves.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2013, 12:10:19 am »

In about an hour, I should be home, and be able to share the save.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2013, 02:13:50 am »

Weird,  I believe the problem is that you can't plant any crop in a freezing biome.  I haven't had much luck and the wiki says it as well:

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Crops

I don't think you can have non-freezing tundra, even if you're seeing sporadic grasses.  Is there any corner of the area that's non-tundra?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2013, 02:51:00 am »

Only biomes are freezing mountain and freezing tundra.

I should see if putting magma underneath the area I have set aside for planting actually makes a difference or not. Savescum and do science!

Nope, putting magma underneath has had no impact on growability
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 03:06:39 am by wierd »

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2013, 04:21:24 am »

Biomes are either plantable or not, set at embark.

If you really want to grow surface plants on that map I think you're going to have to dig an open pit into the caverns, once you've exposed some cavern floor to the sky it should count as "outside" whilst still being in a biome capable of plant growth (unless your caverns can't grow stuff either).

Kumis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2013, 05:21:39 am »

Might digging a pit to the first clay layer and trying to plant surface crops there work?
Dodók Medtobór,
What are you trying to hunt?
Y u no find path?

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2013, 10:28:06 pm »

I was under the impression, in addition, that mud doesn't make a floor plantable for above-ground crops, only below-ground?
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2013, 11:09:12 pm »

i"ve used mud above ground many times...
Pages: [1] 2