Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Depot inaccessible.  (Read 1129 times)

someone12345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Depot inaccessible.
« on: August 23, 2013, 09:56:47 pm »

My depot is marked inaccessible, even though there is a three tile wide path from the depot to the map edge, and all off the boulders on the path have been smoothed. In fact, not a single tile on the map is marked as accessible. The merchants still come, but they do not bring wagons. Why is this?
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Torrasque666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Depot inaccessible.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 10:19:21 pm »

I'm gonna guess.... traps. Do you have traps anywhere in its path? Wagon's can't pass over traps.
BOOM FOR THE BOOM GOD!
LOOT FOR THE LOOT THRONE!

You seem to be under the impression that we're playing some game other than dwarf fortress. It doesn't matter how powerful you make a creature, we will find a way to destroy it. God is dead, and Urist killed him.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 10:25:39 pm »

Also check for trees, but I'm thinking maybe traps too.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 12:00:11 am »

Traps, trees, and boulders all block wagon pathing. 
Wagons also cannot use stairs and must use ramps.
Wagons are three tiles wide, so there must be a three tile wide path from your depot to the edge of the map. 
Wagons were also implemented before diagonal movement, and as such are incapable of moving diagonally. (Just like how catapults and ballista are unable to fire up or down), so make sure the route has room for 90 degree turns.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 02:42:25 am »

Not only can they not use stairs, but also they cannot cross them horizontally.

If the entire map is marked as inaccessible, this means the blockage (or at least a blockage) is right next to your depot. The access overlay is calculated outwards from the depot, and not inwards from the edge.

someone12345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 08:56:38 am »

I'm gonna guess.... traps. Do you have traps anywhere in its path? Wagon's can't pass over traps.
Every one of my traps is behind the depot.

Traps, trees, and boulders all block wagon pathing. 
Wagons are three tiles wide, so there must be a three tile wide path from your depot to the edge of the map. 
Wagons were also implemented before diagonal movement, and as such are incapable of moving diagonally. (Just like how catapults and ballista are unable to fire up or down), so make sure the route has room for 90 degree turns.
There are no trees, boulders, or stairs from the edge of the map to the depot. I have a road from the depot to the map edge. The road is built on a plain, so it is only on a single z-level. The road is absolutely straight.
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 09:08:31 am »

Press Shift+D and look at the depot to find out how far its path actually reaches - wagon-accessible tiles are calculated starting at the depot and moving toward the map edge, not vice-versa.

A pair of screenshots would also be nice, both with and without the depot accessibility info visible.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 09:10:17 am »

You could have another construction blocking the path by accident, not sure if doors will block wagons. Turn on the depot access overlay and follow the green pathway to see where it ends, the blockage will be there.

Edit: Ninja'd, heh. As Q said, screenshots would be nice too.

someone12345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2013, 11:42:01 am »

You could have another construction blocking the path by accident, not sure if doors will block wagons. Turn on the depot access overlay and follow the green pathway to see where it ends, the blockage will be there.

Edit: Ninja'd, heh. As Q said, screenshots would be nice too.
I will try that.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2013, 11:59:54 am »

I had forgotten that it measures from the depot out ... so when I saw the whole map red I assumed I had too many trees for a path (heavily forested embark)

Z-1 showed green to the exit ... turned out I had a pebble right outside the entrance that I hadn't noticed
Ellipsis free since August 2013.