Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What!?  (Read 1851 times)

Axle Gear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What!?
« on: April 19, 2007, 03:05:00 pm »

Okay, FNAR my only mason at the start of a new fort just fell unconcious.  Mild damage to head, right eye, left eye, right ear, left ear, nose, throat, neck, brain, mouth.
Broken every toe, left and right ankle, and both feet.

Nothing is on the map at all!  It's a glacier map.

Axle Gear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What!?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 03:11:00 pm »

And he's getting worse.

Is he freezing to death?  Nothing suggested that was implemented!

Axle Gear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 03:16:00 pm »

No, i'm convinced it's a bug.

I had ~40 portions of meat, and made a bucket.  The mason ate each peice of meat and every drink until nothing at all was left, and never stopped being hungry/thirsty.

Also, they're putting raw water into my stockpile!

[ April 19, 2007: Message edited by: Axle Gear ]

prklts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 04:36:00 pm »

You can't mod the game, or Toady's voodoo spirits will find you and mess up your memory!

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 05:21:00 pm »

temperature and frostbite should be in.  i've seen other people discussing its effects.

i have not played a freezing map in the latest version, so i dont know.  but it does sound like something went screwy with an attempted mod.

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 05:38:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by prklts:
<STRONG>You can't mod the game, or Toady's voodoo spirits will find you and mess up your memory!</STRONG>

I have a personal semi-total-conversion that i made for myself... its all been fun and games so far.   :p

Axle Gear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 08:03:00 pm »

Only mod this installation is using is the damned booze mod from the wiki.  Which, in my previous thread, I complained about.
At everyone's behest, I extracted a fresh new DF to a fresh new folder, stuck it in and well..
Guess what?

IT DOESN'T WORK RIGHT.

Of course, dozens are still gonna accuse me of doing something wrong.

Testing has proven semi-conclusive it is, in fact, not a bug:
Water solidifies in cold climates from buckets!  I purposely had my dwarves raped by wildlife to check the buckets elsewhere, and all seems well.
But the second I did it in a glacier, it ocassionally did it again.  Then when a snowstorm came, not only did it consistantly freeze, but also food dissapeared upon delivery to the wounded, and dwarves started slowly taking damage.

[ April 19, 2007: Message edited by: Axle Gear ]

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007, 09:02:00 pm »

It sounds like your dwarves are freezing to death, although the vanishing food sounds like a bug.

Maybe it should be made more clear what's going on, though...  freezing is serious enough that perhaps when a dwarf starts taking damage from cold you could get a '-dwarf name- has started freezing to death!' message.

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2007, 10:00:00 pm »

well, i dont mean to say that you're doing something wrong.  just that i havent seen it myself.  two guesses, and you can either take your pick or choose option C, "puke is a cracksmoker".

A - sounds like intended behavior.  water freezes when its cold, cant use it as food, dwarfs get frostbite, food gets freezerburn/spoils (someone told me this was happeing when i asked about my food becomming "worn" during winter) shit happens, life is harsh, losing is fun.

B - the game you're playing was created in the modded version, and is exhibiting problems even when you load it in the straight version.  try creating a new world in the straight version, and see whats up.

C - yeah, we've been over C.  quit bogarting the pipe.

Axle Gear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2007, 10:04:00 pm »

Actually, this /is/ the straight version, unless i'm misunderstanding you.

IE, I extracted a brand new, good-as-can-be DF install, then added the .txt for the booze mod, then ran DF for the first time, made a world, and froze to death.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2007, 10:14:00 pm »

Freezing to death is going to happen when it gets cold... say, inside a glacier.  Make mittens and warm hats for your dwarves.  Armor is also warm.

There's an issue that people living in cold climates aren't wearing temperature appropriate clothes by default.  Walk into a freezing human town, and people will start dropping like flies to the cold, due to insufficient clothes.  The guards will be fine, snug in their armor.

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2007, 04:12:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by puke:
<STRONG>food gets freezerburn/spoils</STRONG>

I don't if that's how it is in the game, but it definitely isn't this way in real life. (So if food is damaged by cold and Toady sees this message, change it so it isn't damaged by cold    )

Basically cold has three effects on food quality: (This is "you can survive this with warm cloths" cold, not "1 degree on the Kelvin scale cold")
1) It severely slows down decay of food.
2) Slightly degrades the quality (as in taste) of food. This is because water inside the foodstuff expands when it is frozen, and therefore destroys the cells or structure of the foodstuff. This is the cause of "freezer burn" as it is known, and is a one-time damage every time you freeze or refreeze the foodstuff.
3) Frozen food dries when exposed to air. This is also true for none-frozen food, but worth mentioning anyway.
Take what I said with a grain of salt since I'm not a biology/chemistry/culinary expert.

And this was a long-assed post.

[ April 20, 2007: Message edited by: Slartibartfast ]

But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

Klyith

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2007, 10:32:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Axle Gear:
<STRONG>Actually, this /is/ the straight version, unless i'm misunderstanding you.

IE, I extracted a brand new, good-as-can-be DF install, then added the .txt for the booze mod, then ran DF for the first time, made a world, and froze to death.</STRONG>

A saved world created with a modded game will preserve some of the mod alterations even if you load it with a standard install. To be sure you'd have to create a new world and start a new glacier fortress. Though it sounds to me like a combination of standard game effects creating your mystery.

quote:
Originally posted by Slartibartfast:
<STRONG>2) Slightly degrades the quality (as in taste) of food. This is because water inside the foodstuff expands when it is frozen, and therefore destroys the cells or structure of the foodstuff. This is the cause of "freezer burn" as it is known, and is a one-time damage every time you freeze or refreeze the foodstuff.</STRONG>

Actually freezer burn is from the food drying out, not ice expansion. Either from direct sublimation of ice -> vapor when the food isn't sealed well, or migration of water from the food to ice within the package in auto-defrosting modern freezers. (They work by occasionally warming up above freezing to get rid of frost that caked the walls of old freezers.)

Axle Gear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2007, 12:41:00 pm »

Okay, for the fourth time..

It was a BRAND NEW DF INSTALLATION, WITH A BRAND NEW WORLD.

Zhentar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2007, 04:00:00 pm »

Except you added the mod again, defeating the point.
Pages: [1] 2