Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 244

Author Topic: The Forgotten Art: Approaching the Nexus  (Read 266903 times)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: The Forgotten Art: Disgust and Confusion On The Wizardly Way
« Reply #3315 on: February 03, 2015, 08:09:46 pm »

"Only tourist? Really? I suppose Dante did give it a very bad review, but that's hardly a reason to kill the industry. But, fair enough, if that's the way it is."

Eta looked left and right to ensure nobody is watching and then got as close to the shadow as it felt comfortable, so that she could talk more quietly.

"Well, you see, the problem is I'm supposed to meet someone in a block here. I know what block he is in, but nothing else besides that. It all started with a divine cheese that lead me to speaking to... I'm not sure."

She looked up, as if contemplating something.

"Something divine. One thing lead to another and now I'm on some quest to tell them something very important, give them some sort of warning. Very weird stuff."

She shrugged. Eta was very careful to always make lies of omission.

"But it leads me to visiting hell. Isn't that fun? It certainly has a certain charm and if nothing else is a very interesting experience. I bet with some changes you could make a lot of money in the tourism industry."

She shook her head, trying to get her thoughts back on track.

"Anyway, I found out that he's hiding here. Would there be any way for you to help me locate him? Perhaps if I provided a little something for your effort?" she added, trying her best to give the shadow her most charming smile. She wasn't sure if that would work, he wasn't exactly the sort of informant she was used to dealing with, but it was worth a shot.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #3316 on: February 04, 2015, 09:53:40 am »

Realise I am standing near the Dunker, and observe his lard-based experiments. Rely on Mafiosi to protect me if necessary.

”So, er. What is your purpose here?”

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3317 on: February 07, 2015, 06:02:30 pm »

Feeling that being appraised as food may be a troubling prospect for him, THE DUNKER engages in willful aposematism.

"I am most certainly not delicious! That belongs to donuts and donuts alone. Anyhow, I think I need to test this new spell out anyhow. Don't move," says he, and orients his hands in profanely magical ways.

[THE DUNKER's affinity roll: 5+1]
[THE DUNKER's finesse roll: 1-->4-1]

At his bidding, a tornado suddenly manifests next to the vampire. Perhaps it is not best described as a tornado - a better analogy would be that it's more of a whirlpool of semi-liquid lard, except without a larger pool of lard in which it would qualify as a proper whirlpool at all. It appears very much like a moving plaster cast of a whirlpool, except much more disgusting-sounding. In addition, it seems to be growing larger at what does indeed appear to be an exponential rate.

Furthermore, it seems to like him. It seems to like him to an unhealthy degree, and is eager to join his body to its own, presumably to turn him into so much off-white goo for its own macabre envisioning of the coming apocalypse.

[THE DUNKER's body roll: 2-1]
[Halesey's body roll: 2]

Unfortunately, neither THE DUNKER, nor Halesey, who seems to be taking a vested interest in observing this lard-based phenomenon, nor his dedicated cadre of immobile and unambitious mafiosi (well, not entirely unambitious and immobile - one has the idea to shoot the non-solid tornado with his gun with predictable results) manage to avoid the rising, spinning tide of lard and are swept into its turbulent mass. The tornado bends, twists and rampages through the interior of the factory, leading the two men trapped within it to begin to suspect they may be in trouble here.

John is seduced by the sheer potential of the concept of a pademelon-based spell repertoire. Look at him now - all he's got is a single yellow pademelon and he's already practically the king of the world. Imagine what he could do with, say, a legion of pademelons at his beck and call.

[John's mind roll: 3]

Indeed, the thought of such a thing renders him so giddy with excitement, he barely manages to even pay any attention to whatever abstract task he's supposed to be performing to the point where, when he finally looks around in his mindscape to see what's what, all he sees is a sky of nothingness, a gray plain stretching out all around him and a single table in front of him, where a note hastily written on white paper with large black spots (alternating between black and white ink depending on the background) awaits. Feeling a little awkward, he takes a look at the missive, hoping it's not some snippy reminder on how he should be paying more attention.

Sadly for him, though, it totally is.

Spoiler: John's New Spell (click to show/hide)

Awakening from his disappointing foray, John sees Pilton looking excitedly at him.

"So, with all that out of the way, what say you we go pick up Tracey, relieve poor Stan of his duties, then split up in search of fun stuff around town?"

Larry elects to not give up fifteen years of memories in return for two spells, since, when he thinks about it, it may in fact rank as one of the shittiest deals he's ever been offered. He instead allows Tom private viewing of his innermost memories for about an hour. Tom, quite enthused, worms his way into Larry's mind much deeper than before, his plainly alien, slightly repulsive mind snaking through Larry's forbidden corridors of cognition.

All things considered, the process feels much longer than it probably is, even with Larry's eventually quite desperate-seeming attempts to zone out. The trouble is, somebody rooting around in your thoughts plainly and intrusively, without even the slightest attempt at subterfuge and with the clear feeling that this very somebody is in a terrible rush, almost as though it were some kind of fire sale on priceless works of art.

Come to think of it, that is an awfully flattering thing to consider one's own thoughts. Here is Larry, replete with thoughts that are the culmination of eight or so thousand years of civilization and two or more million years of human development, the ultimate filter through which humanity will be viewed by a being beyond his immediate comprehension. He now has a market value well in excess of the average 7-11 employee, clearly. If only the "appraisal" didn't feel so fundamentally icky and soul-tainting. This must be what models feel like.

"Most enlightening!" says Tom at the end of the thoroughly disturbing session of thought perusal. "Although still not enough for me to be perfectly satisfied. Hm... you wouldn't be open to negotiation about that whole giving me some memories thing, would you? I don't think I'd need more than, like, a year. Any year of your life you wouldn't mind giving up for good in return for a blisteringly cool spell of some kind. Hm?" he tries for one last sales pitch, clearly not having had quite enough information. Though will he ever truly even have enough, that's probably the more important question.

Eta, seeing no reason why the standard techniques wouldn't work in such a clear Earth analogue/satire/parody/simile/whatever as Hell, tries to butter up the shade at the kiosk a little.

"Only tourist? Really? I suppose Dante did give it a very bad review, but that's hardly a reason to kill the industry. But, fair enough, if that's the way it is," she says, carefully looking around to see if anyone's listening in. Mostly the leaving shades appear to not even take notice of her. She leans in and starts with the logical first step - relating the problem.

"Well, you see, the problem is I'm supposed to meet someone in a block here. I know what block he is in, but nothing else besides that. It all started with a divine cheese that lead me to speaking to... I'm not sure. Something divine. One thing lead to another and now I'm on some quest to tell them something very important, give them some sort of warning. Very weird stuff. But it leads me to visiting hell. Isn't that fun? It certainly has a certain charm and if nothing else is a very interesting experience. I bet with some changes you could make a lot of money in the tourism industry."[/color]

The shade's expression, and thus its reaction, to hearing any of this entirely unreadable. It hasn't moved one bit in about a minute.

"Anyway, I found out that he's hiding here. Would there be any way for you to help me locate him? Perhaps if I provided a little something for your effort?" she says, giving the shade as charming a smile as she can manage.

"No need for compensation. I am very well paid for my work," the shade explains, and with a very high, distinctly unnatural step in which its body demonstrates a great deal of amorphous fluidity, moves out of the kiosk. "I am technically an officer of infernal law," it continues as it closes up the kiosk and draws a finger along the seams between its shutters and the wall, causing them to completely disappear from sight. "However, I find myself in need of a walk. This post is tiring, and I believe I have found sufficient reason to cash in my two vacation hours. So that, I believe, is what I shall be doing. Now, where exactly were you thinking of going?"

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #3318 on: February 07, 2015, 09:04:14 pm »

For a moment, Eta's mouth was left open with no sound exiting it.
"You'd... do that for me? That's- Thank you. I don't know what to say."

Either people from hell are much nicer than advertised or things are so boring down here they'd do anything for something different.

"Still, if there's anything I can do for you, please don't hesitate to ask. I mean, if we get done with this quickly, we could always go someplace else, uh... Maybe you could show me around or explain some things? I have many questions. Would you mind if I asked you more questions?"

Then again, he's the law. Doesn't look like it, but I should watch out nonetheless. Getting involved with the law never ends well. Especially if this thing Caradog is doing is not entirely legal.

"Sorry, I tend to speak a lot when I loose my composure and-"
Eta took a deep breath and tried to calm down.
"Anyway, I'm looking for block Toe Pine Seven, where the purple eyed shade I'm looking for is hiding. I was told that there would be a map here, but seeing that there is no map here, I assume they meant in block Toe Pine Seven. I should had asked for clarification. I figure we just head towards the input... elevators? Is that how you call them? Head there and wait for the block to appear, like the FAQ said?"

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3319 on: February 07, 2015, 09:08:48 pm »

Larry scratched his nose.  There were a couple shitty years, but...  "How about you give me your number and I'll think about it, okay?  Anyway, you ready to be off?"
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3320 on: February 07, 2015, 10:36:33 pm »

Sorry, chap! I'll fix this!

Fraction Lard the tornado!

((See what I mean? They want him to make a guardian and here comes the Lardpocalypse.))
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #3321 on: February 07, 2015, 10:57:56 pm »

((See what I mean? They want him to make a guardian and here comes the Lardpocalypse.))
((It was inevitable.))

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3322 on: February 07, 2015, 11:42:20 pm »

((Isn't fractioning replicating lard just going to make it worse?))
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3323 on: February 08, 2015, 12:55:27 am »

((Isn't fractioning replicating lard just going to make it worse?))
((Ssssssshhhhhhhh))
Sig! Onol

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3324 on: February 08, 2015, 01:59:49 am »

((Now that I think about it, how much does it divide by? Can you specify or does it just always halve it.
Anyway, have fun with A: the exact same problem B: The same problem, just with two smaller tornados or C: Something absolutely horrible happening from a botched roll.
Can't see any negatives there.))
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #3325 on: February 08, 2015, 08:24:47 am »

"Hmm. Well," mumbled Halesey, trying out a slightly new accent. He assumed that this chap's solution was doomed to failure, lacking as it did two vital components to the average good quality solution.

Assuming the Dunker's efforts fail, fix things by casting Potato Vortex at the Lard. If that fails, use the power of my mind to expand the portable Potato Vortex in my chest, and try to use it to suck up all the Lard. Perhaps my god will be pleased with some Lard.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3326 on: February 08, 2015, 10:49:20 am »

[...] "Toe Pine Seven" [...]

"Toe Pine Seven. No traffic at this hour, not filled to capacity, inhabitants are five good friends. Should be near the middle of the hallway," it points at the middle of the hallway, where blocks assigned to elevators seem to be shifting slowly and somewhat indecisively. "The inhabitants should be getting back in a little bit, so it'll move to the arriving edge, though slightly behind Flight Ghost One, Young Grass Ten and Sold Song Six."

Larry scratched his nose.  There were a couple shitty years, but...  "How about you give me your number and I'll think about it, okay?  Anyway, you ready to be off?"

"No, no, I think I'll just find someone else to help me out. But yes, ready to be off, I suppose."

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #3327 on: February 08, 2015, 02:05:51 pm »

Go where the man said. Look around. Find where I want to go. Enter if it seems appropriate.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3328 on: February 09, 2015, 04:52:05 am »

"I'm terribly sorry." thought John to his supernatural sugardaddy. "I do appreciate your hard work, you know. I just have trouble communicating is all."

"I think that's a wonderful idea."

Continue petting pademelon. Give it the nickname Fluffles. Then follow along with Pilton and his plan

Spoiler: John (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 11:22:22 am by Pancaek »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3329 on: February 09, 2015, 05:05:28 am »

((Now that I think about it, how much does it divide by? Can you specify or does it just always halve it.
Anyway, have fun with A: the exact same problem B: The same problem, just with two smaller tornados or C: Something absolutely horrible happening from a botched roll.
Can't see any negatives there.))
((Those tornados won't be small forever...
Honestly I've been hankering to cause a food-related apocalypse for a while but I haven't gotten a donut spell yet, though I haven't done much looking. ITS TIME TO DROWN THE WORLD MUEHEHEHEHE))
Sig! Onol
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 244