Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 244

Author Topic: The Forgotten Art: Approaching the Nexus  (Read 268228 times)

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
Re: The Forgotten Art: Caution Meets Wind, Adventure Ensues
« Reply #1785 on: May 30, 2014, 10:09:49 am »

"Well, thanks anyway."

Head belowdeck. Use Cellphone to generate light and look around

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1786 on: May 30, 2014, 11:58:11 am »

"Not really, I just ate a healthy carrot-filled breakfast. I just wanted the doughnut for a friend. And I already have all the magic I need, sooo" Eta turned to face the shopkeeper with a mildly angry look "why, exactly, are you doing this?"

The girl, who has been watching the back-and-forth attentively, smiles at you.

"Mostly because I wanted to know if lacing donuts with evoked cocaine would make them more appealing. But turns out they start to do something else entirely. Pretty wild, gotta say. Wizard science high-five?" she says, raising her palm triumphantly.
((High-fiving should be discouraged among wizards. The one raising his/her palm might be mistaken for someone trying to summon a vortex.))

Eta looked at the girl for a few moments.
I am NOT going to high-five a strange girl I just met that endangered her clients with illegal drugs. That will only encourage her to do this more.
Still, she did give me some good info...
Eta very weakly returned the high five.
"That doesn't sound like a very good idea. I mean, sure, that soda company does it but I heard they're evil or something like that.
I don't think it's right to go around drugging people like that. Someone might get hurt or turned into a monster or something.
I mean, look at that poor man. His enormous size, his dull eyes, his lust for doughnuts, coughing underwear..."

"But what you said is interesting. I have been researching this 'magical activity' ever since I learned about it and you're the first to provide me with some answers...
Would you be willing to compare notes? A... magical researcher cooperation of sorts?"

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: May 30, 2014, 12:09:37 pm »

Eta very weakly returned the high five.
"That doesn't sound like a very good idea. I mean, sure, that soda company does it but I heard they're evil or something like that.
I don't think it's right to go around drugging people like that. Someone might get hurt or turned into a monster or something.
I mean, look at that poor man. His enormous size, his dull eyes, his lust for doughnuts, coughing underwear..."

"But what you said is interesting. I have been researching this 'magical activity' ever since I learned about it and you're the first to provide me with some answers...
Would you be willing to compare notes? A... magical researcher cooperation of sorts?"

"Oh, I wouldn't worry about the coke. It's just trace amounts. Well, mostly trace amounts. Nothing too dangerous. I figure if it didn't kill my new friend here, it's pretty much safe. So yeah. Anyway, who showed you magic?"

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: May 30, 2014, 01:03:39 pm »

Use lady's distractedness as an opportunity to eat more donuts. Even the ones in the case if I can get them.

Spoiler: Slam DUNK (click to show/hide)
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: May 30, 2014, 02:56:58 pm »

Halesey isn't feeling particularly jolly right now, it has to be said.

"Fbagg up? Fbaggg uppfff? You bffffffftrdddddd my fffffffkin suith ruined! You bffffffftrdd, mnnng, I wath gonna fcore! Now lthhhh! Now lthh ath me! Artheholeth! An juth whaff the fthk am I meant to bbburn the reft withhh? Tthick it up yr bollockth!" he says, and his friend Larry takes the advice to heart, buggering off to thtick it up hth bollockth elsewhere while Halesey reflects sadly on the fact that he has no other suits whatsoever.

Halfway through his buggering off, Larry suddenly realizes what he meant by burning the rest, and the revelation is nothing short of earthshaking. Wandering back over to the still-raging cocaine blizzard, he takes out his trusty lighter and attempts to set fire to the cocaine flurries, only to discover that the white powder is about as flammable as real snow. Probably all that slimy eldritch quality, he'd wager. And just as he is about to bet money on this hypothesis, the cocaine stops midair in a most jarring manner, falling to the ground and kicking up quite a bit of itself in the process. Larry takes a step back, unwilling to discover what further side effects snorting this crap may bring, and silently wonders if this doesn't mean he can now bag up all of this stuff - there have to be five kilos here at the very least, after all. Would probably fit in his bag, no less!

What's more, Halesey, while still pretty pissed and incredibly ugly off from the looks of it, appears to have followed him! Feeling a bit optimistic about this spot of good luck, Larry leads the way in the bagging, and soon the two guys have scooped up pretty much all of the coke in the alley, and there's about as much as one might have predicted!

Dave, being the wonderful man of many talents he is, turns his attention to the rewarding subject of amateur meteorology, and tries to summon up another storm to see if it'll fix things right up.

[Dave's affinity roll: 4+1-1]

Suddenly, the storm beneath him grows thicker as more underwear begins to storm down below! As a result, the updraft, slightly altered by the new flow of underpants introduced into the mix, grows weaker, causing Dave to begin to slowly descend into the increasingly impenetrable mire of his own creation. After a few moments, his feet touch the ground, or at least what feels very much like ground. The richness of the underwear storm makes it a little hard to check these things thoroughly.

John, after thanking the cap'n for his generous help, heads below decks, using his cellphone to illuminate the darkened depths and find his way. He promptly discovers that the first room he descends into seems to be filled with refrigerators of many shapes and sizes, as well as a copious amount of rugs with the occasional coffee table here and there, and strange paintings leering at him from the dark corners of the room. The smell of dung hangs heavy on the air, and though it doesn't seem to have any apparent source, John is quick to guess that it is most likely to be coming from one of the many doorways lining the walls.

One thought that hits John after a moment of appreciating the strangeness of the room is that it seems very spacious for being on the inside of a ship - whatever thoughts were going through the designer's head, practicality and ergonomic principles were obviously not among them.

THE DUNKER, noticing that the ladies, as ladies often do, seem to be busy with magical gossip, takes the opportunity to try and sneak a donut while nobody's looking.

[THE DUNKER's finesse roll: 4-1]
[Donut Girl's mind roll: 6-->1]

Before he can even move, the donut girl pauses in conversation, giving him a very unpleasant stare that makes the man unwillingly take a small waddle backward.

"Bring in some more people to try the donuts, and you can have more yourself. Agreed?" she offers, looking a lot sterner than before.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: May 30, 2014, 03:00:02 pm »

"Pffft.  Pfee?  Wif all thiff, we can bbuy that ffucking ffactory and get all the maffical biffes money can buy!  Get it?"

Larry looks rather pleased, as best can be told with the swelling.

"Fffo who do ffell thiff ffit to?"
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1791 on: May 30, 2014, 03:08:35 pm »

"Oh, I wouldn't worry about the coke. It's just trace amounts. Well, mostly trace amounts. Nothing too dangerous. I figure if it didn't kill my new friend here, it's pretty much safe. So yeah. Anyway, who showed you magic?"
That's not very reassuring... Or very responsible.
"A man threw a meteor through my apartment. When I went to ask him what happened, he gave me this Matchbox as compensation."
Eta showed her the Matchbox.
"You put matches in it and it turns them magical after some time. Look into the match's flame and you get magic, simple as that."
Not the whole truth but close enough.
"So, what's your story? How'd you gain magic?
And if it's not too nosey of me, are you simply sending that man to get you customers as an advertiser or..."
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 03:20:47 pm by Parisbre56 »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: May 30, 2014, 03:16:32 pm »

I brought her in! With, uh, with my mind powers that first donut gave me.
Sig! Onol

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: May 30, 2014, 03:20:46 pm »

That's not very reassuring... Or very responsible.
"A man threw a meteor through my apartment. When I went to ask him what happened, he gave me this Matchbox as compensation."
Eta showed her the Matchbox.
"You put matches in it and it turns them magical after some time. Look into the match and you get magic, simple as that."
Not the whole truth but close enough.

"Which guy was it? Corporate type? Wholesome shop guy? Total neckbeard? Or maybe someone else?"

"So, what's your story? How'd you gain magic?
And if it's not too nosey of me, are you simply sending that man to get you customers as an advertiser or..."

"Found it, pretty much. On my own. And I'm letting him take the initiative on that second part."

I brought her in! With, uh, with my mind powers that first donut gave me.

"Bring in another one and then you can have a donut. Bring in two, you get two plus one free, m'kay?" the girl tells you slowly.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: May 30, 2014, 03:23:07 pm »

When in doubt MOAR MAGICKS!
Spoiler: Dave (click to show/hide)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: May 30, 2014, 03:24:39 pm »

When in doubt MOAR MAGICKS!

Random magicks or specific ones?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: May 30, 2014, 03:36:08 pm »

DUNKER heads outside.
*ahem* HEY EVERYONE IN EARSHOT! FREE LOTTERY TICKETS IF YOU COME INTO THIS DONUT SHOP!
Sig! Onol

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: May 30, 2014, 03:53:39 pm »

New spells.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: May 30, 2014, 04:09:24 pm »

"Guefff we juff hnnnnng out in ffffff bad spoth till we thefffehheee liffly cuftomerth? And vortexth fffth thit out of any rivalth? Leth fffking go, my dateth fcked, man, leth thell drugth."

Follow Larry. En route, attempt to phone Chez Ronardos, explain that I had a date with the hot woman who talks in pink at 8pm, and ask them to explain to her that I'm really sorry but I am at the hospital following a severe beating and I can't bear to fathe her in thithe thtate. I'm very sorry, please don't think badly of me.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1799 on: May 30, 2014, 10:02:40 pm »

Found it? Now THAT's interesting!
"It was umm..."
Is it really a good idea to share information with that girl? What if she doesn't like what she hears? What if they're rivals? Oh, wait, I know how to find that out!
"You don't have any problems with those guys, right? You aren't mortal enemies or anything similarly Shakespearian? Because really, I don't know the man, but I don't want to get him into trouble or offend you in any way.
Or have I completely misunderstood you and you all work together?"
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 244