Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 244

Author Topic: The Forgotten Art: Approaching the Nexus  (Read 267009 times)

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
Re: The Forgotten Art: 101 Uses For Potatoes and Vortexes Thereof
« Reply #1395 on: April 24, 2014, 04:04:34 pm »

"Ho' friend!"
If he attacks me I cast Inconceivable Hogweed Bolt
Spoiler: Dave (click to show/hide)

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: April 24, 2014, 04:20:26 pm »

"Hi. Wow. That's some pretty awesome moves you got there, Miss... I ddn't catch your name, sorry? Can I buy you a drink?"

Approach the arrhythmic dancer!

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1397 on: April 24, 2014, 04:52:57 pm »

"I... Yeah. I mean, if you really want to. I'd really like to know if there are any around here." said Eta, a bit surprised by Lois' offer for help. "Just be careful, OK? I'll be waiting for you right here."

Remembering the story of the little girl with the matches, Eta decided to try a small experiment.

Watch Lois, in case they try to do something to her. If she happens to return this turn, tell her I'm going to try somewhat, then strike two matches at the same time, see what happens.

Spoiler: Char Sheet (click to show/hide)
((EDIT: I don't suppose there would be a problem with me using red shadow for speech instead of red glow?))
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 05:12:18 pm by Parisbre56 »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: April 24, 2014, 10:14:01 pm »

"Heh heh."

Buy a beer; sit and leer.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: April 24, 2014, 11:46:55 pm »

"Ho' friend!"
If he attacks me I cast Inconceivable Hogweed Bolt

The man turns his head to you with a pained expression.

"Who the f-eh, doesn't matter. Gimme a phone."

You realize that you kept your phone in your pants pocket, and that it doesn't seem to be there anymore on account of that particular pair disintegrating along with any possessions within.

"Hi. Wow. That's some pretty awesome moves you got there, Miss... I ddn't catch your name, sorry? Can I buy you a drink?"

Approach the arrhythmic dancer!

The woman freezes in place for a moment, then turns her head toward you. Her pupils seem to rather dilated.

"I... uh... I'm... er, yeah! A drink sounds fantastic! Do I know you?" she says, a visible shiver going through her body.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: April 25, 2014, 10:18:56 am »

"I'm sorry but the pants my phone was in exploded due to my underwear becoming very distracting and then causing severe structural damage to a building."

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: April 25, 2014, 10:24:52 am »

"Right...so, do you guys think you're up for this, because this looks like some mighty dangerous ground here. Be careful not to take a wrong step, allright?"

Attempt to sense where the leyline is. Ask the kids if it's allright to try and get tot the leyline. If it is okay with them, try and get there, but very very carefuly.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: April 25, 2014, 02:16:44 pm »

"I... uh... I'm... er, yeah! A drink sounds fantastic! Do I know you?" she says, a visible shiver going through her body.

"Er, no? No, I don't think so. You cold? Or, you know, some kind of demon? What will you have to drink?"

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: April 25, 2014, 02:25:53 pm »

"Er, no? No, I don't think so. You cold? Or, you know, some kind of demon? What will you have to drink?"

"I'll have... a peach Bellini? Do they serve those here? I'm not sure, myself."

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: April 25, 2014, 02:59:36 pm »

"Sure... they might do. Is that, like, a guinness with peach juice? 'Cause you're probably in luck if it is."

Order a peach bellini, and a... chinese guinness? Make that two, because I can't imagine Larry turning one down.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: April 26, 2014, 06:31:44 am »

Dave regrets to inform the man of his severe phonelessness.

"I'm sorry, but the pants my phone was in exploded due to my underwear becoming very distracting and then causing severe structural damage to a building," he explains, much to the displeasure of the man.

"Well, what good are you then?" he asks irritably.

[Night Watchman's finesse roll: 1-->6-1]
[Dave's finesse roll: 4-1]

The watchman raises his hands menacingly at Dave, but Dave, most fortunately, happens to have had a plan for that event, snapping into action immediately.

[Dave's affinity roll: 4-1]
[Dave's finesse roll: 2-1]

With a nonchalant gesture, he flicks a suddenly-materialized and entirely confusing hogweed at the general direction of the man, rather disappointed when it flops soundlessly at the wall right next to the nasty fellow. The guy stares at the hogweed for a moment, then shrugs and resumes his menacing gestures.

[Night Watchman's affinity roll: 3+1]

Dave wonders what exactly the guy's trying to do when he suddenly becomes aware of a rather alarming clackety-clack behind him.

[Dave's body roll: 1-->5-1]

As he turns around to look, he notices that there appears to be a hole in reality forming behind him, filled with what look to be false teeth! He has only seconds to take in this information, for he immediately feels himself get pulled toward it in a most terrible fashion! And the closer he is pulled, the more powerful the pull! His legs were not meant to take this kind of strain, and so he is taken off his feet, sliding very quickly toward the now-sizable vortex of awful dentures.

Eta guesses it couldn't hurt too badly for Lois to go and talk to the hideous old people with strange childhoods and oddly breezy attitude toward implied murder.

"I... Yeah. I mean, if you really want to. I'd really like to know if there are any around here. Just be careful, OK? I'll be waiting for you right here."

"Very well, be back momentarily," Lois says, nonchalantly walking back to the table, and asks the paleontologist a question, looming over the table in a slightly forceful manner.

"Are there any dinosaurs around?"

The flow of conversation at the table seems to be interrupted as the five elderly individuals all regard Lois.

"A bit rude to interrupt a friendly conversation like that, isn't it, young lady?" the thin woman remarks.

"I wouldn't know, myself," Lois says. "Is it?"

"It is, actually. And honestly, I'm not really feeling like answering your question as a result, miss," the paleontologist remarks, sipping his tea.

"Ah. I see. Do the people with you know, perhaps?" she replies, looking over the rest of the group.

"Of course there's dinosaurs around, silly girl!" the portly woman says. "There was a whole rain of them just recently!"

"Oh. What are dinosaurs, anyway?"

"Think lizards, but more upright," the creepy fellow says, making the paleontologist guy smile a little.

"Do they do anything interesting?"

"No, not really," the fat man says, and Lois nods. She doesn't seem to have any more questions.

"If those were your most pressing questions, could you please leave us now, miss? I'm getting pretty tired of spending every waking moment being harassed with dinosaur talk, thank you very much," the paleontologist says with mounting irritation.

"Why do people harass you with dinosaur talk?"

"Probably because they're ignorant. I'm not even one of those dinosaur geeks. I'm actually a paleoanthropologist."

"I don't know what that is. I am highly ignorant, though, so that might explain it," Lois says flatly.

"Well, at least you admit it. That's a step up from the regular people. All you really need to know is that dinosaurs are like dogs, bears or elephants. Don't piss them off and don't wander too close, and you'll be fine mostly."

Lois seems about to ask another question, but then evidently thinks better of it and walks back to Eta, shockingly unharmed from this latest exposure to humans. The elders look at her as she leaves, but after that it doesn't take them long to return to conversing about whatever topics other than dinosaurs people talk about these days.

"There are dinosaurs, but they're like dogs, bears and elephants, and also like lizards that are more upright," she says to her summoner. "I have no idea what most of those are, but you probably do, right?" she says, and Eta nods.

"Hold on a moment, I'm going to try something, alright?" she says.

"Of course," Lois replies, and Eta, in a fit of brilliance, gets two matches out of the matchbook and proceeds to strike both of them dramatically, holding them out while Lois looks on.

"I wonder if it's legal to... ooh..." she begins to say, but trails off as she stares at the lit matches. Eta is similarly transfixed, staring at the dark flame that, curiously enough, only one of the matches seems to produce - the other one looks completely ordinary. But before she can devote much thought to this, the blackness of the rightmost lit match fills her vision until she finds herself in darkness once more.

[Eta's mind roll: 3+1]

This time it feels like a different room - for one, it seems to smell vaguely of chlorine, and feels altogether more metallic, with jagged edges and rather precariously placed stuff all around her. Nevertheless, it seems to be not overly difficult to navigate, and Eta eventually finds a lever - believing that this is probably what she's looking for, she pulls it, and the air suddenly begins to smell far different, like something between crude oil and fresh flowers in spring, with an alien tinge to it that Eta cannot even describe - the smell fills her nostrils and makes her feel unsteady, causing her to press her back to the wall as the room, despite nothing being visible, proceeds to spin around her. And before she knows it, she passes out.

Spoiler: Eta's Spell Choices (click to show/hide)

As Eta regains her bearings, she notices Lois staring at the extinguished matches in puzzlement.

"Was that magic? It felt interesting," she says. Eta notices that the ancient waitress appears to be regarding them with a lot of suspicion right now.

John has doubts on whether treading on a roof like this is the best idea, but a leyline is a leyline, even though John's not entirely sure what that means, and so he continues onward.

"Right...so, do you guys think you're up for this, because this looks like some mighty dangerous ground here. Be careful not to take a wrong step, alright?"

"Luz, I think you'd best be crawling, eh?" Trey suggests.

"Yeah. It'd be stupid to fall off this damn roof after all we've gone through," Luz says, sitting down on the roof and proceeding carefully along with her companions. John's still pretty sure the leyline is up ahead, and also a little... upward? As he and his friends draw closer to the hole, a magical tingle intensifies along his body. The leyline, it seems, is above the hole. And the roof, broken as it is in that area, looks downright precarious.

"I wonder if we can reach it from here... hm..." Luz says, then closes her eyes, beginning to shiver violently and glow a little.

"What the fuck? Luz? What's happening?" Trey asks, but Luz only continues twisting in place, looking like she's having a seizure for a moment until she goes limp again, opening her eyes.

"Wow. So, yeah. That works," she says, looking rather tranquil.

"What happened?"

"I... sort of aligned myself, I guess?" she says, sitting up. "Nothing seems to hurt anymore. That's interesting, I guess."

"What?"

"Seems like the leyline healed me. Try it. Try to sense it, reach out to it. It's a bit difficult from this distance, but it's possible."

Trey looks out toward the sky doubtfully for a moment.

"Huh. I do sort of get the idea that something's there, to be honest."

"A whole lot of something's there, babe," Luz smiles. "Just gotta reach out and touch it."

While Larry tackles the crucially important issue of fixing himself up with a beer, a problem the bartender, a slender Vietnamese man in his fifties with dyed red hair who seems to have absolutely mastered a rural Northern Irish accent, seeing how one can't really understand more than a few words of what he's saying (though he seems very good-natured, at any rate), is very eager to help him with, providing a pint of Goodness, which Larry finds to be an entirely palatable, if rather strong ale. It nearly distracts him from his leering at the girl Halesey's chatting up. When the two walk over to the bar, Larry still leers, albeit a bit more discreetly than before.

"I'll have a peach Bellini and a... uh... Chinese Guinness? Make that two," he says, and the bartender nods and says something Irish in response. Moments later, a rather resplendent Bellini and two pints of Goodness are before Halesey, and Halesey sends one pint over to Larry in recognition of his continued achievements in societal advancement. The girl, for her part, seizes the Bellini and drinks it quite quickly, spilling a bit of it on herself carelessly in the process.

"Oh wow, did I need that or what," she says, looking at Halesey, who seems to be enjoying his ale. "By the way, who's your friend-no, wait, uh... scratch that, who are you again?" she asks a moment after putting her glass down, taking a brief moment to either admire her own manicure or maybe to consider the fact that her hands are shaking. "Heh, you ever feel like your heart might, like, stop at any moment? I'm getting that sort of feeling right now. Creeps me out. I really need another drink. Something stronger. How's the, uh, beer? Can I have some?"

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: April 26, 2014, 10:57:11 am »

Storm of distracting underwear!
Spoiler: Dave (click to show/hide)

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: April 26, 2014, 02:10:50 pm »

"The beer's pretty good. You want this one? I'll get another pair. My friend's called Larry, I can introduce you if you like. My name's Ben, I'm a mage. Say, why do you think your heart's gonna stop? What you been up to? Someone bothering you?"

Get another couple of beers!

« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 02:13:54 pm by lawastooshort »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1408 on: April 26, 2014, 05:17:31 pm »

Funny voice, I wish you'd use the right words for things. thought Eta and chose 'Render Canned Goods Undetectable'. 'Evolve Beans' sounded interesting too, but she could think of many ways that could go wrong, depending on what evolved meant. Better experiment a bit with simpler things first to understand how this whole "magic" thing works.

"Was that magic? It felt interesting,"
"Yes, at least, I think so. I got-" Eta glanced at the waitress. There was always a chance she was simply suspicious as to why Eta was staring at those matches, but she didn't want to take that chance. Better have this conversation away from curious ears.
"actually, I think it might be best if we continued this conversation outside. Is that all right?" she said and started walking out.

Get out on the street, unless Lois objects. Find a secluded place to talk.

"Sorry, I just thought it would be better if we talked in a more private place. I am unsure of whether or not talking about these things in public is safe. I just learned about magic today.
You see, I just got this matchbox about an hour ago from a man calling himself Mr. Pilton. He told me that if I lit a match, it would teach me things about magic. I didn't believe him at first, I mean, who would? But the first match I lit gave me some words, a kind of spell, I think. 'Lawyer Wave' it was called. I didn't knew exactly what it would do, frankly I thought it might produce a watery wave with a knowledge of law, but instead it produced... well, it produced you. I- I would have never imagined creating life would be so easy. And now that I did it again, I got these words: 'Render Canned Goods Undetectable'. And I heard a voice talk to me. But the strangest thing is, that both times I lit a match, I felt like I was transported somewhere else. A dark room. I could see nothing. And I had to feel my way around the room and do something. And the second time felt much harder than the first time. And, well.. I'm afraid. I know that I'm not really in that room, but what will happen if- if I can''t find my way around the room? If I get stuck somewhere? If I get hurt? What will happen to me then?"

Eta paused for a few seconds to think and catch her breath.
On one hand, it felt good saying this to someone else. It helped calm her and get her thoughts in order, at the very least.
On the other hand, hearing her story out loud didn't make her feel very good about her choices.
Is this just the first step on an exciting adventure? Or have I done something incredibly stupid and ruined my life?
Whatever it is, I know I can't stop now. If things keep getting worse around here, then I'll need to learn how to use this thing to protect myself.

"I was hoping that lighting two matches at the same time might make navigating it a bit easier, but it turns out it doesn't work like that after all."
Eta sighed. She turned to Lois and smiled.
"I guess I'm a lot like you in that regard: It's all new to me and there are so many things I don't know."

Like, what does Undetectable mean? Does it simply make it invisible or does it work on perception itself, making it impossible to perceive by any means, touch, sound or smell? And what qualifies as canned goods? Does it only involve airtight containers of perishable products? Any sort of airtight container? Colourful bows in trash-cans? Does it apply to both the content and the container? Does the container have to be sealed? And at what distance does it work?

So many things to try... Too bad this matchbox doesn't contain an instruction manual.

I guess I better go find a can, then? Moping leads to nothing useful, after all. Better find out what this thing can do.

"Sorry if I talked your ears off, I just felt like talking to someone."

"Wait, you said it made you feel something? What did it make you feel?"

Talk.

Spoiler: Char Sheet (click to show/hide)

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: April 26, 2014, 05:22:14 pm »

"It healed you, that's great! I wonder what else this thing is capable of..."

Do as Luz says and try to sense and touch the leyline, observe results
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 244